Jeep New jeep advice. (Steering, and local electrical work.

Green-Tonka-CJ5

BEE-DUHB
Hey everyone, im back with a new rig for 2013. Its a 77 cj7 304 auto mostly stock. I've ran into a couple new issues i cant work out myself with the gauges. I live in sandy and am in need of a good mechanic that is comfortable with old school jeep wiring. My fuel gauge doesn't work, my oil pressure gauge sometimes works, and my reverse lights don't work.

The second thing I am working through is the steering. Its terrible! I narrowed it down to it being toed in too much. About 1-1/2 inches :rofl: I drove it from Payson to Sandy and about died twice. I tried adjusting the tie rod after loosening everything and could only get about 3 turns of the vice grips before the bar would bottom out on the tie rod ends. Does it seem like someone put the same threaded tie rod end on both ends? Do i have to drop the leaf spring to take the tie rod ends out of the knuckle?

Thanks for any input everyone2013-01-12_10.45.05.jpg

OutlawTJ

If I recall correctly the old CJ's used a metal tube/ line for the oil pressure. Can be replaced with the plastic. As for the reverse lights its a switch on the trans. Would need to see if its adjusted correctly or if it is bad. It could be in the wiring going to the switch also. A volt meter would work for most all of it.

thenag

stab in the dark on the fuel gauge but I know that older fords the float in the tank would disappear, sink or other things so that it wasn't a gauge problem but the float in the tank. I am sure someone who knows cj's will have a better guess.

Nathan