new JKU with doors off and lifts w/no mudflaps????????

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
lately I have been seeing alot of jku's with their doors off (so no side mirrors) and lifted running 35 inch tires (with no mudflaps) running around and the police are not stopping them and issuing tickets....

Now if I even take my old cj7 around the block I get pulled over by every cop that I run into.....

So why are police ignoring the new jeeps and going after the older ones....

What brings this up is I got pulled over while I was in my LJ by a highway patrol and he actually got out a tape measure and measured my stock mudflaps to make sure they were legal.
3 vehicles behind me was the JKU with no doors or mudflaps that he had to pass to get to me....

skeptic

Far as I know, nothing wrong with doors off. You only need 1 mirror to be legal, and the rearview on the windshield covers that. Couldn't tell you about the mud-flaps thing. I was pulled over and given a fix-it ticket after driving my lifted XJ for a few years with nothing and had to put mud flaps on. Then months later I tore a mud flap off wheeling and was pulled over for it a couple days later (one mud flap still on, one in the back seat I hadn't re-attached yet). The mud flaps thing seems kinda random to me.

Kssting

You need the rearview mirror and a mirror on the driver side. I drive one of the doorless JKU's with 35's and was pulled over a few months ago by a Centerville officer. I had a motorcycle mirror in my door hinge on the driver side and he checked my paperwork and let me go without a ticket. He didn't like that my tires were extended past my fenders slightly but he said that since the fenders covered more than 50% of the tire I didnt need mud flaps.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Safety Inspection manual is not the law, just an interpretation of it. It happens to be the interpretation from the gents that will be writing the ticket but that still doesn't make it the law :D

41-6a-1627. Mirrors.

(1) (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle.

(b) A mirror under Subsection (1)(a) shall be located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

(2) (a) Except for a motorcycle, in addition to the mirror required under Subsection (1), a motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side.

(b) The mirror under Subsection (2)(a) shall be located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

Basically you have to have a drivers side mirror and either a rear view or passenger mirror as well.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I always put mirrors on both sides when I go doorless just because I like to have them. Mudflaps on the other hand are something I have always just gotten away with. Right now I know there are at least four or five things I could get ticketed for with my JK. I've always just gotten away with it up here in Clearfield, I know I'm pushing my luck when I come south but it's never been an issue.

I never had mudflaps on my TJ either and never got questioned about it. I think it's just hit or miss on what cop is where on what day.

skeptic

I've always just gotten away with it up here in Clearfield, I know I'm pushing my luck when I come south but it's never been an issue.
I live in Clearfield - the two times I was pulled over for mud flaps were on I-15 between Riverdale and Layton, and in town driving through Washington Terrace. Certainly a luck of the draw thing, but the Clearfield area isn't completely safe from mud flap tickets.

SubLime Time

A Study in Black & Green
We got pulled over by UHP, she ticketed us for over sized tires & no mud flaps. She said if she put a bed sheet over the hood, she didn't want to be able to see the tires sticking out of the fenders. My hubby had (yes, HAD ;)) to get new tires and wheels. A little offset on the wheels and he could still run bigger tires. But, still!
My son took off his doors on his WJ for fun, and got pulled over, lol. The cop was nice, laughed a bit and said if the doors weren't meant to come off they shouldn't BE off.
I took my TJ in for inspection and it didn't pass because now there's a new law that if your vehicle came with a 3rd brake light it still needs to have one. I had to rig up a brake light on my hi-lift, lol.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I wish I could get pulled over by a cop who didn't know what he was talking about... EVERY lifted vehicle is required to have flaps, and the tire must be 100% covered by the fenders or flares.

You need the rearview mirror and a mirror on the driver side. I drive one of the doorless JKU's with 35's and was pulled over a few months ago by a Centerville officer. I had a motorcycle mirror in my door hinge on the driver side and he checked my paperwork and let me go without a ticket. He didn't like that my tires were extended past my fenders slightly but he said that since the fenders covered more than 50% of the tire I didnt need mud flaps.

AaronPaige

Good point I have 7k on my 12 jku with 37 and only one speeding ticket never even been bothered and its bright green cop must just not want to bother with the little stuff

skeptic

I took my TJ in for inspection and it didn't pass because now there's a new law that if your vehicle came with a 3rd brake light it still needs to have one. I had to rig up a brake light on my hi-lift, lol.

Not that new of a law... About 7 years ago I bought a '92 Silverado from out of state that the previous owner had put a canopy on. The truck was built pre-3rd brake light but the canopy had provisions for one (3rd light in the roof but not hooked up). I had to argue with the shop doing the safety inspection and get the manager involved because the guy doing the inspection didn't understand the laws. Ultimately the manager explained to the tech that since my truck didn't originally come with a 3rd light, it didn't have to have one now.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I wish I could get pulled over by a cop who didn't know what he was talking about... EVERY lifted vehicle is required to have flaps, and the tire must be 100% covered by the fenders or flares.

The fender or flares have to cover 100% of the tire and the mudflaps have to cover the whole width but only 50% of the height.... THis is what the highway patrol told me... and seeing I have 33x10.50 tires on rims with 5 inches of backspacing they are sucked in about 2 inches behind the flares and my mudflap is exactly 50%.