New moab news?

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I can't access the story, being as I'm not signed up with the NY Times website & all. But I'm guessing you're talking about the moving of the tailings pile. This is a recent decision by the DOE, but as yet has no funding, so while the community is generally happy that the decision is to move it there is as yet no guarantee that it will actually be moved until congress funds the project.

Capt. Picky

quite
gcb17 said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/22/national/22moab.html

most of this is old news, but it made the new york times. i was unaware that they were gonna dispose of the uranium that's been sitting there forever.

Yeah... much talk, few results... Been ongoing since 1988 (at LEAST). Everyones' had a hand in that pie.
I'll wager the talk, expenditures/budget/ money spent (doing NOTHING) will continue far longer than the "forever" of which you wrote.

Incidentally, while I'm no expert, it's not Uranium that is in the Tailings Pile, but Uranium Mill *Tailings*. It would be assumed that the bulk of the Uranium was extracted from the ore which was processed there (inefficient milling and extraction notwithstanding). Probably there is some % of the element remaining, but more than likely it would contain other elements which were not sought - all of which might not be desirable to have 'hanging around', but are commonly associated with Uranium (such as Vanadium for example.)

Anyway....I'll believe it *when I DON'T see it (any longer)*. :rolleyes:

Capt. Picky