new thoughts on owning/driving an old musclecar

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I love the 68-70 Charger, and I've always wanted one. Who doesn't? The thing that has always kept me from getting one is the outrageously high buy-in... along with the cost of a proper restoration. I just can't justify spending that much money on an old car--or any car--no matter how much I actually love the car itself.

And now today I saw this:
[video=youtube;0JXDcJQqZrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXDcJQqZrA[/video]

Maybe I have had the wrong attitude about the whole idea. After all, those guys look like they certainly are enjoying their finished (?) product, and I freely admit I would drive the hell out of that thing just the way it ends up. (I'd have to add a couple more items to pass our safety inspection, but I would only add/change what was absolutely mandatory.)

What do you guys think?

blznnp

I was going to buy a 68 camaro back in 2002, drove a few hours to go drive it and buy it. great price, awesome transmission, newer engine, but something about it just made it that I couldn't pull the trigger. I think I was just too use to the newer cars and how they drove. The suspension was stock and sway more than I was use to. But with that said, I am still planning on picking one up. My problem is that I want to build it for pro-touring, and I have a specific engine in mind, but I have found a couple for sale with everything that I would want to do for $20K-30K less than it would take to build it. So do you save up and buy one built and save a good amount, or buy one in decent shape for a decent price and build it yourself. Thats my question to myself. Of course its easier to afford one with a straight body and stock setup than one already set up but overall you will come out cheaper. Like ModStock said, just because its not the $100K+ build and not the best paint, they are still cool cars. I love seeing rat rod style or muscle cars with different paints, still awesome cars. Especially when it sounds like they have some work done to the engine.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just out of high school my daily driver was a '71 SS Camaro... I would make all my mods on the weekend, then drive back to work Monday morning. The interior was nasty, drivers seat-back was broken, the paint was horrible, suspension needed work... but after rebuilding a SBC for 400 Horse, that thing ran very well. I had continual transmission problems, but loved driving that thing all over. I was still living at home, so I remember spending 90% of my paycheck on mods for the car, the rest for gas for 2 more weeks until the next check.

I also watched that episode yesterday, made me think of my old car. I've been thinking about picking up another one and would LOVE to build it semi-cheap... not as bad as the Roadkill guys did with the Charger, but similar.

I think if you shopped around, you could find an affordable project (perhaps a roller that needed a drivetrain like theirs), then slap together a engine/trans. Who cares what it looks like, long as it drives well.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Having been through a few Mustangs over the years, I agree Dempsey, that the attitude of spending big bucks on those cars is tough to get past. And I doubt, if I could afford what I want do. A full resto to original is appealing, but then I'd never want drive it. And all my past Mustangs were drivers. Which leads to resuomod. I think today, I'd have some fun. Updated suspension, maybe a new Taurus turbo V6 and AWD. But always something different than what other people are doing. But it has to be something I can drive every day...

Not that I need another project, but I want a Pinto or Bobcat. Hatch or wagon, I don't care. I have parts left over from last years Ranger project I'd love to use. So if there is a Pinto for cheap to free, let me know...

smartass_kid

I used to daily drive a 63 buick for about 2 years back in TN. LOVED IT. not to be a dick but why just a 68-70 charger? because of dukes of hazards? that's biggest problem right, you want what everyone else says is cool not what you want.

when I got my buick I wasn't looking for that model, I wanted an old cool cruiser with some awesome body lines that ran well. if you want a muscle car, broaden your search and you might find something you really like.

and here is my wildcat:
110.jpg

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Why can't he just want what he wants? He doesn't need a reason other than he likes them.

Thank you for pointing out what should be obvious. Still, I can field his question myself.

why just a 68-70 charger? because of dukes of hazards? that's biggest problem right, you want what everyone else says is cool not what you want.

I am of the age which was impacted by DoH, and I fully admit there is an undeniable influence from that show. Nevertheless, my answer to your question is plain: that's the Charger generation I like best. The 66-67 fastback is just too, well, "fastbacky" for my tastes. On the other end of the spectrum, the 71-74 has horrible proportions--the nose is way too long, and the tail is way too short. The 68-70 is just right: good proportions, gorgeous body lines... it's just perfect. Well, just about: I hate the 70 front bumper... but at this point, the cars are scarce enough (and expensive enough) that I'd take a 70 if I found one for a good price.

That is why I want one. If everybody else also wants one--or if nobody else wants one--that doesn't change how I feel about the car's styling, nor does it change my personal desire to own one.

4554x4

always modifing something
Why the Charger bashing? There's too much of my rig is cool and yours is not going on. I like your Wildcat, but if I was badmouthing it you would defend it.

smartass_kid

like I said not trying to be a dick, just comes naturally. :D for your original question, find one running and not rusted out and enjoy.

if you want the car because of DoH, not a problem. My cousin is in love with them also and plans to get one as a long term project. It just makes getting one that much harder.
will you paint it to match general lee or a different color? for that body style I think dark green or black would look good.

I will admit that I do like classic cars out of the norm, some cars are awesome due to movie popularity; cobra lead sled, bullit mustang, DoH Charger, Eleanor.. but seeing something you've never seen before and may never see again is way cool. like a Studebaker wagon with retractable rear hardtop. seen once and haven't seen again in ten years.

Nate R

It's derby season!
I did it and it wasn't for me. I had a company car that had no restrictions on use so I didn't have a personal car. When I switched jobs I didn't have a car and thought I could use my Nova as a daily driver. It lasted a week before I was car shopping. While it is a ton of fun to drive to and from carshows and cruise nights it is super uncomfortable to commute and sit in traffic in. And let's face it, it is terrible on gas.

Here is my Nova

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
When I switched jobs I didn't have a car and thought I could use my Nova as a daily driver. It lasted a week before I was car shopping.

Oh, I definitely won't have that problem. The last time I owned only one running car was all the way back in 1998. Right now, for example, I have four running cars plus one non-running project.

If I ended up with a muscle car--Charger or not--I would undoubtedly have a few other cars to drive as well.

rholbrook

I learned that it doesn't matter how much money you put into an old car, when you're all done, you still have an old car. I would still like to find an old Camaro or firebird

skeptic

In my garage right now is an almost completely stock '81 Corvette and a ridiculously modified '77 Celica. I plan to sell the Corvette in the spring, and if I thought I could get even half of what I have into the Celica I'd sell it as well. Old cars are fun, have personality, have their niche fan groups, and can be things of beauty. However, with all new new whiz-bang features of cars these days, plus HP and performance numbers of modern cars, I'd rather just have a newer car.

toys3.jpg

ricsrx

with all new new whiz-bang features of cars these days, plus HP and performance numbers of modern cars, I'd rather just have a newer car.

Maybe this is why my 69 mustang (high school car) still sits in the back of the shed. I cant even believe that I think this way considering all the thousand ways over the years I have rebuilt it in my dreams. I have rebuilt is so cool Steve McQueen would have paid me a million dollars just to drive it! I have said to myself over the years I could not afford to build it right and yet I have spent tens on thousands of dollars on other projects and the old Mustang cant make it out of the shed and into the shop...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
In my garage right now is an almost completely stock '81 Corvette and a ridiculously modified '77 Celica. I plan to sell the Corvette in the spring, and if I thought I could get even half of what I have into the Celica I'd sell it as well. Old cars are fun, have personality, have their niche fan groups, and can be things of beauty. However, with all new new whiz-bang features of cars these days, plus HP and performance numbers of modern cars, I'd rather just have a newer car.

toys3.jpg

Man, that Celica is ILL!

skeptic

Maybe this is why my 69 mustang (high school car) still sits in the back of the shed. I cant even believe that I think this way considering all the thousand ways over the years I have rebuilt it in my dreams. I have rebuilt is so cool Steve McQueen would have paid me a million dollars just to drive it! I have said to myself over the years I could not afford to build it right and yet I have spent tens on thousands of dollars on other projects and the old Mustang cant make it out of the shed and into the shop...

Yup, and look at the new mustangs. A nice new 420hp GT can be had for low to mid $30k, with all the modern bells and whistles plus a warranty.

skeptic

Man, that Celica is ILL!

Thanks... turbo 4cyl from Japan (highly modified, too much to list - dyno'd 237hp at the rear wheels and is only a set of injectors and a tune away from another 75+ rwhp), new stronger tranny, rear end from a Supra, upgraded suspension, wilwood big brake kit, converted from manual steering box to power rack&pinion plus tilt steering, modern R134a A/C... Probably other stuff that I've forgotten about. At ~2,500 lbs it's very quick and fun to drive, but an overheating problem has left it sitting collecting dust.

mombobuggy

I admit to being a hillbilly but I love the concept. far to many neat old cars will never see the road again because the owners set to hi of standards for there cars. If it has good brakes steering lights etc. why not enjoy it as is while making upgrades when possible. My friend has a 68 gtx with a 440 H.P. and a four speed the car was a lot of fun before he started a total resto . now it is a money pit in a thousand pieces. And I liked it better before when we were driving it around un restored. this has been dragging on for three years so far and people are starting to wonder if he will ever drive it again. Sad he has spent a mountain of money on it and he seems to be losing steam.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
If I wanted a muscle car (and I don't) I'd get a new one like a Challenger. If I wanted a car to mess with I'd get a tuner. I just think they're more fun but to each his own.
I still like the idea of getting a Wagoneer for my son and I to build for his first car but by the time he's 16 (over 15 years from now) they'll probably all be gone. We might be lucky to find him an XJ at that point... Eeeek!