New to Utah Where are some good state inspection stations ?

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
As the topic states, I just moved to Utah (Murray) last week from Texas . I need to know some good places to get my Miata, and my wifes Mustang inspected. I'd like to find a shop that is lenient on window tint since my side windows are on the darker side. My car is also lowered so it sits pretty low and most shops don't want to stack wood to get it on a lift. It will go on a 4 post but scrapes a little.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Most shops aren't going to let too much slide really. Something to do with them not wanting to get fined. And most people that know of a shop with "hook ups" won't post up in a public forum for the sake of said shops reputation.

Good luck on the window tint, I had to get mine re-done after I moved here from New Mexico.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
What year is the miata? IF it has obd 2 than it won't need to be put on the test dyno. I believe Utah law is 3 inches from the lowest part of the frame. Also its going to be hard to find someone lenient since the consequences for getting caught are on the rough side. I think its a $10,000 fine and they would probably loose there job. That makes inspectors not lenient. So unless you have a really good buddy that does inspections, you'll probably be pulling tint.

Also I have a buddy that got a ticket 3 times in 3 days for tint. The officer told him the next one his registration would be revoked and his vehicle impounded.

Last edited:

Caleb

Yep, I bought my last Tacoma in Vegas and had to redo the front windows tint. My best advice is just make sure your cars are legal for Utah. The cops around here will pull you over for too dark of tint. My brother got hit twice for that in one day on his cherokee.

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Buddy of mine who owns a shop just got tagged for clear side markers he let slide. 15 day suspension and $1,500 fine. They are just looking for revenue. Legalize your machines or pay the fine.....

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
Wow it sounds like L.E.O's. are anal about everything here! The miata is 3 1/2" off the ground at the frame it's on coilovers I only have it lowered 1-1/4" The side windows are tinted to 35% I'll take it off if I have to its no biggie. I had prescription from an eye doctor for dark tint in Maryland Due to headlights blinding me since it's so low to the ground. It just passed emissions 3 months ago so I'm not worried about the dyno. The mustang will pass w/o issues since its stock (My wife likes boring stock cars)

Last edited:

Caleb

Wow it sounds like L.E.O's. are anal about everything here! The miata is 3 1/2" off the ground at the frame it's on coilovers I only have it lowered 1-1/4" The side windows are tinted to 35% I'll take it off if I have to its no biggie. I had prescription from an eye doctor for dark tint in Maryland Due to headlights blinding me since it's so low to the ground. It just passed emissions 3 months ago so I'm not worried about the dyno. The mustang will pass w/o issues since its stock (My wife likes boring stock cars)
Utah is 43% on the fronts, nothing lower than the AS1 line, and anything behind the driver can be blacked out. You may be fine with 35%, that's not a big difference. I was at 5% on the fronts with mine with a strip on the front windshield. My brother was at 20% on his fronts when he kept getting pulled over for it.

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
Utah is 43% on the fronts, nothing lower than the AS1 line, and anything behind the driver can be blacked out. You may be fine with 35%, that's not a big difference. I was at 5% on the fronts with mine with a strip on the front windshield. My brother was at 20% on his fronts when he kept getting pulled over for it.

I have a brow on my windshield to the AS1 line that is 5%, Rear window is 20% and the sides are 35%. when the sun is out it doesn't look too dark but with an overcast its Dark looking