New Tow Rig

toyota rockhead

This is my new tow rig and my first! Tell me what you think

99 Dodge ram 2500 5.9 24 valve cummins
Auto, It has a leveling kit with 35s perfect for what i need. I just put a new set of cooper stt's on it so we will see how they hold up.
It has the edge juice with attitude module with the hot unlock, and 4 inch exhaust.

Attachments

• IMG01535.jpg
    IMG01535.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG01536.jpg
    IMG01536.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 20

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Good looking truck! I have an '01 and love it... I think you'll like yours.:) Is it an auto, or a 5spd?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Nice truck! :cool: I miss my 01 auto. Get a fuel psi gauge (or low psi indicator) on that thing if your running the stock style lift pump you don't want the VP44 to ever run dry $$$$ :ugh:

toyota rockhead

haha thanks again! Ive got a trans temp gauge as well already and it seems to stay pretty cool. Im not sure whats been done to the trans but it seems like it might have a shift kit or something but im not sure. The truck came with a turbo off of an 04 that he planned to put on but never got around to it. would it be worth putting the other turbo on? Ive heard that it would spool a little quicker witch might be kinda nice for towing! what do you guys think?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
haha thanks again! Ive got a trans temp gauge as well already and it seems to stay pretty cool. Im not sure whats been done to the trans but it seems like it might have a shift kit or something but im not sure. The truck came with a turbo off of an 04 that he planned to put on but never got around to it. would it be worth putting the other turbo on? Ive heard that it would spool a little quicker witch might be kinda nice for towing! what do you guys think?

I just put a stock 2007 turbo on mine and I like it... I added bigger injectors at the same time, so I can't say how much the turbo alone changed things, but It's sure fun to drive now!

The turbo you have might be the same as the one I used (2004.5-08 5.9 Cummins turbos are the same.) Look at the sticker on the wastegate of your newer turbo and find the model number... If it says "HE351xx" then you are good to go. If it says "HE341xx" (the one they used in 03-04.5 trucks) then it is a little smaller than the newer one, and probably won't benefit you much.

If you do swap turbos, you'll need to make some exhaust downpipe changes, and some intake plumbing changes. I'd be happy to let you come check my swap out. Also, with the new turbo, you can probably handle a little more fuel too, so a chip/programmer of some sort, or a set of injectors could really make a difference for you.

1adam12

THE BEAST
get a pressure lock for the tranny from BDpower it did wonders for my cousins truck, and sweet ride I love that body style.

toyota rockhead

Bryson
Alright sweet ill have to check and see what it says on the wastegate. How big of injectors did you go with on yours? I have to the edge juice with the hot unlock on there already. Would i need to do injectors to keep up with that turbo? I might have to take you up on checking out your swap.

1Adam12
Thanks man I like the 2 gen body style they look good with a little lift on there and some tires and wheels! Ill have to lock into that pressure lock

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
150 horse injectors are a good all around set-up with the stock 3rd gen turbo but you better be lookin at tranny mods really soon after that at the very least a custom valve body and torqueconverter.....if you need help building your trans hit me up

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
do you mind me asking how much you paid for it ??? I think im gonna sell mine just curious what they are going for

toyota rockhead

How much would it cost to do a tourqueconverter and a valve body and whats the best mods to do to these autos? what should i be worried about that could or most likely will go out and be the best thing to upgrade?

toyota rockhead

I don't mind at all haha I paid 9 but mine has about 180000 miles on it. Is yours an auto or a 5 speed? it was about the best deal i could find. i wanted a 5 speed but they all had over 200000 and they wanted at least 12000

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
it depends on how much power you wanna make with the truck a good torque converter will run you about 700-1500 bucks depends on what you wanna do with the truck and a valve body will run you about 350-900 depending again on what you want to do with the truck a shift kit is very effective and can be had for about 75 bucks. You say your running 29psi fuel pressure bosch recomends no more than 20psi and no less than 7psi any more than 20 can tear the diaphram in the VP44 and anyless than 5-7 does not provide adequate lubrication. if you need prices on anything cummins related me know let me know or have any questions feel free to ask me anytime