New Wheels?

Ramme

Big Blue
So I am going to be getting new rims soon, but I have a couple of questions first.
1. MY stock rims are 16 x7. I want to go to at least 16 x8 or 16x10. Does the 10 have anything over the 8 beside being able to mount a bigger tire? I have 285 x 75 R 16 tires.
2. I want my tires to stick out a little bit from my truck. Is the only thing that is going to do this less backspacing on the new rims, or will a wider rim make them stick out?

Thanks,
Ramme

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
the only thing that'll make your tires stick out more (besides width of course) is backspacing. as for the wheel width go with a 16x8 rim if you're running any tire skinnier than 13".

Caleb

So your tire right now is about a 33x12.5...IMO I wouldn;t run a 10" rim...mine are 9.75" beadlocks and I have a 12.5 wide tire and I dont like it...it opens the rim up to more damage...I think 8" rims are ideal for a 12.5 wide tire...width will help get the tires out a little but not a ton...backspacing is your biggest thing to deal with but usually aftermarket rims come standard with a 3.5-3.75 backspace and stock rims(dont know about dodge) are usually a lot more like 5+...

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Is the truck your DD or does it see alot of wheeling? My GMC has 33-12.5s on 10 in. wheels, my crawler is getting 37+ on 8 in. wheels. IMO the 10s look better (stick out from the wheel wells), but don't get as much protection from the rocks. However, if I didn't already own the wheels that are going on my crawler, I would go with 10s. My .02

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
As far as 8" or 10"....

I have the 10" for my 33x12.5R15 BFG Muds. I have been wheeling it that way for a little over a year. I have run as low as 7psi and not blown a bead (knock on wood!). I have put nice pinch type gashes in two tires though. In both of those cases, I don't know if a narrower rim would have helped.

The wider wheel will make the tire stick out a little more, but the big factor is the backspacing.

That said, my next set of wheels will be 15x8. Mostly because I plan on putting the DIY beadlocks on them, but also because I'll be changing my bolt pattern with my new axles. The DIY beadlocks add about 1.5" of width to the wheel, and I don't want to use the 10" wheels to do beadlocks. So, think about where you might go with those wheels.

What kind of tires are you running? Is this vehicle going to be doing double duty as a DD and trail rig or just a trail rig? If you drive lots of miles on the road and only spend a relatively small amount of time on the trail, I would go with the tire mfg's recommendation for wheel width.

Ramme

Big Blue
It's my only car, so not only does it take me to school, work, etc, but it is also my weekend wheeling truck. I can get 8 inch rims for cheaper, so that is a plus. I was just wondering if 10s will stick out any further than 8s or if it just backspacing that will do that. My stock rims have about 5 inches of backspacing. i have 285 x 75 R 16 Sport King ATs. I may go up to a 315 tire sometime. Would a 10 inch rim be wise for that?
Ramme

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Hey, I have 33x12.5 15's on 10" wide rims. Last time in moab I broke the bead twice on the same tire but it re-sealed so it only let like 1 psi each time, Sure the 10" wide rims look cool, but I have some nice gashes on the inside from rocks, I would go with the 8" wide rims if I could go back, Im not sure, but there might be some wheel spacers out there for your bolt pattern if you want it to stick out farther. Most tire mfg's recomend 10" wide rims for 12.50 inch wide tires, but that is mainly for street/wear.
Don't quote me on that but most of the tires I looked at recomended that.