New Wrangler

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
http://rockcrawler.com/reviews/jeep/wrangler_2007/naias_2006/index.asp

I see a lot of improvements. But there are still somethings I'm not a fan of. Like putting the gas tank under the passenger, between the frame rails. it seems it would be lower and get hung up. I also hate all of the ergonomics crap they do to new cars. One of the reasons I like Wranglers so much, is they are no frills. Not anymore. They are trying to cater to the mall crawling crowd.

Looks like they are using WJ's steering now, too.... And CV joints in the drivelines... HP front D44. I wish it would have been a HP rear as well.

Any thoughts?

Bart

With any new model change there will be reasons they did things, and not everyone will like them.

The curved sides are for aerodynamics and will make the ride quieter. Yes, it's a break from the straight sided (traditional) Wrangler, but most people who drive them will spend more time on the road than off road.

As for the fuel tank, I'm glad to see it somewhere else besides hanging out in the rear. It's helped the departure angle a lot. As long as it's well skid plated and not lower than the frame rails, I think that's a plus.

As for the rear high pinion, a high pinion would have been great for driveline angle and clearance, but a standard rotation diff in the rear is stronger than a reverse rotation (high pinion). In other words they are running on the stronger side of the gears in both the front and the rear the way they've set it up. Again another smart move IMO.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Bart said:
With any new model change there will be reasons they did things, and not everyone will like them.

The curved sides are for aerodynamics and will make the ride quieter. Yes, it's a break from the straight sided (traditional) Wrangler, but most people who drive them will spend more time on the road than off road.

As for the fuel tank, I'm glad to see it somewhere else besides hanging out in the rear. It's helped the departure angle a lot. As long as it's well skid plated and not lower than the frame rails, I think that's a plus.

As for the rear high pinion, a high pinion would have been great for driveline angle and clearance, but a standard rotation diff in the rear is stronger than a reverse rotation (high pinion). In other words they are running on the stronger side of the gears in both the front and the rear the way they've set it up. Again another smart move IMO.

I agree with your points on the fuel tank and diffs...I'd have to actually see one in person and know that the fuel tank isn't hanging down. For the rear driveline, they are now using CV joints to make it a two piece.

All of these things make it a much more capable rig out of the box. But in terms of upgrades....Maybe not.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
I agree with your points on the fuel tank and diffs...I'd have to actually see one in person and know that the fuel tank isn't hanging down. For the rear driveline, they are now using CV joints to make it a two piece.

All of these things make it a much more capable rig out of the box. But in terms of upgrades....Maybe not.

I think it'll be a VERY capable rig. At least as capable as a TJ. They've addressed a lot of weak points with the longer control arms and fixed some of the axle issues (I'm sure there'll be a few issues with a wider D35 still under there). The only thing I DON'T like is the grille (the slanted back look is going to take some getting used to---and I'm kinda not a fan of the outer shape. I like the 'taper' at the bottom of any other Jeep (CJ, YJ, TJ) grille.) and the hardtop. The pics with the hardtop off are pretty sweet, IMHO.

I don't mind the 3.8L V6 (it's a decently powerful engine--it's not a Buick 3.8L V6, but kinda similar) and some of the other changes will take some getting used to.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I dont like certain aspects of the new wrangler, personally I think that it looks like a hybrid between a TJ, LR3, and a H3. I really dont like the crash protection thingy hanging down from the frame rails on the front end, under that really ugly plastic cover that is below the front bumper. I could not tell for certain, but it looks like the doors are no longer removable, and what is with the front fenders? trying to imitate the Honda Element with all the plastic?

Thanks, but i will stick with the older Jeeps.

mbryson

Supporting Member
lenny said:
I dont like certain aspects of the new wrangler, personally I think that it looks like a hybrid between a TJ, LR3, and a H3. I really dont like the crash protection thingy hanging down from the frame rails on the front end, under that really ugly plastic cover that is below the front bumper. I could not tell for certain, but it looks like the doors are no longer removable, and what is with the front fenders? trying to imitate the Honda Element with all the plastic?

Thanks, but i will stick with the older Jeeps.

Doors are removeable.

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I dont know, maybe I will change my mind when I see one in person---- or a lifted one for that matter. But so far,,,, ugggghhh!!

MRJ

Just a user
When I first saw the photos last week I was kind of dissapointed. But it has definatly grown on me. I like the size change. I think it will look great lifted. I have ot say if my choice was between this and an FJ Cruiser there would be no Toyota in my driveway. I guess I'm a Jeep guy still.

captainjared77

I'm super disapointed with the FJ cruiser. It doesn't look much better than a crv imo. I know they're trying to bank on some of the heritage of the FJ, but putting a FJ grill on a CRV doesn't cut it. Jeep has to find a balance between the off-road crowd and a viable commercial vehicle. Looks to me like they did a good job of it. How many vehicles out there are still running solid front axles? nothing it's size that I know of. And like some other guys here said, how popular was the TJ when it first came out? Now how popular is it? I think the new wrangler will show it can hold down the wrangler image for another couple years.

Also, with the plastic fenders... How many people are chopping off the fenders of their TJ's and CJ's? It's pretty extreme mod, but with the new jeep looks like you just unbolt them. Easy to replace fenders that get jacked on the trail, too.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
captainjared77 said:
I'm super disapointed with the FJ cruiser. It doesn't look much better than a crv imo. I know they're trying to bank on some of the heritage of the FJ, but putting a FJ grill on a CRV doesn't cut it. Jeep has to find a balance between the off-road crowd and a viable commercial vehicle. Looks to me like they did a good job of it. How many vehicles out there are still running solid front axles? nothing it's size that I know of. And like some other guys here said, how popular was the TJ when it first came out? Now how popular is it? I think the new wrangler will show it can hold down the wrangler image for another couple years.

Also, with the plastic fenders... How many people are chopping off the fenders of their TJ's and CJ's? It's pretty extreme mod, but with the new jeep looks like you just unbolt them. Easy to replace fenders that get jacked on the trail, too.

More like a 4runner grille on the FJ, it runs on the 4 runner platform. :eek:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
On paper the 3.8 V6 looks good, and I like it. But will it last 1/4 mill miles like the 4.0 L6? I know it won't be very torqy, so will it still do well off road crawling over rocks?

I'm on the fence. I'm not going to say I hate it until I actually see one at the dealer. They made a lot of changes, and I can understand the reason behind all of them. I do agree that they needed to be changed (improvements). But we'll see if they are actually improvements.

mbryson

Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
On paper the 3.8 V6 looks good, and I like it. But will it last 1/4 mill miles like the 4.0 L6? I know it won't be very torqy, so will it still do well off road crawling over rocks?.........

Why won't it be torquey?

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/wrangler.html

A new 3.8-liter overhead valve V-6 engine is featured on all 2007 Jeep Wrangler models, replacing the 4.0-liter Power-Tech in-line six engine. With 205 horsepower and 240 lb.-ft. of torque, Jeep Wrangler comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission or an available four-speed automatic transmission.

The 3.8-liter V-6 engine produces more horsepower and torque than its predecessor. Compared to the 4.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine, the 3.8-liter is lighter and shorter, and maintains higher torque at speeds above 3400 rpm, allowing for an expanded operating range.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler’s horsepower and torque, combined with an enhanced suspension, results in a towing capacity of 2,000 lbs. For the first time in a Jeep Wrangler, an optional towing package includes Dana 44 axles with a 4.10 axle ratio and trailer hitch.

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/VehicleCompare.jsp

(after clicking on the 4.0-Liter Power Tech I-6 Engine) 4.0-liter Power Tech I-6 engine produces a healthy 190 horsepower at 4,600 RPM with 235 pounds-feet of torque at 3,200 RPM. Nearly 85 percent of torque is available at idle, which helps with compression braking when decending steep hills.

I'd like to see some dyno charts for both engines. The I-6 puts out fairly good torque LOW in the powerband. Bigger V6 engines tend to do similar (my personal experience being with Buick 3.8L and Ford 3.8L engines) and it 'should' be a good match to the chassis. It's still a pushrod engine, so it's probably not a 'peaky' OHC type powerband.

As to the durability. I doubt you'll get as many miles out of the 3.8L as you can out of the 4.0L just due to the design. I'd bet with proper service/maintenance it will do at least satisfactorily if not good, though.

Caleb

I think these new vehicle designs have to grow on ya...this re-design, IMO, is JUST like the Tacoma re-design. At first the new Tacomas were so hideous to me, but after seeing them around and looking at them pretty close myself they have really grown on me, infact I would LOVE to pick one up. I think this new Wrangler will be the same way. I like some of the new features but I also dislike some of the new designs (such as the fenders, I mean come on, WTH :confused: )

jfonze

Theres definetly alot of improvements to the new wrangler. I think once its out and were able to see what the after market does with them the 4wd community will warm up to them and you'll end up seeing them on every trail run.

Though what lenny was saying is about the drop crosmember is very valid, and IMO the only real drawback to the new wrangler. Hears a few pics from rockcrawler.com that show it....

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/...006/display.asp?photo=reveal/650/DSCN1027.jpg

http://www.rockcrawler.com/reviews/...006/display.asp?photo=reveal/650/DSCN1046.jpg

The question is can you hack it off and still pass inspection, and not have to worry about the law?

mbryson

Supporting Member
jfonze said:
........The question is can you hack it off and still pass inspection, and not have to worry about the law?

It looks like it's a 'gaurd' like the UpCountry XJ's had. Pretty useless (and possibly a hinderance under certain conditions) if it's lifted much. I just unbolted the one one my XJ and went without. I can't imagine it not passing inspection for what looks like basicly a skidplate.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I like the new lower arms, new steering (about time), rear track bar looks beefier and the axle mount looks stronger. The gas tank is the only thing I hate about it.