New Year's!

XJumpmaster

XJumpmaster
The wife found us a killer deal on a condo in Moab for the weekend. We're looking to do some light wheeling one or two days that weekend. Will be heading down early the 31st and home the 3rd.

I've got a fairly well built XJ and the M.I.L. has a stock Libby.

Any one headed down?

Last edited:

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Locals run planned on Poison Spider on the 2nd if the weather holds. Still lots of snow here and VERY cold. Check the website webejeepinmoab.com for updates.

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
We made Kane Creek okay, planned Hell's Revenge today and couldn't get over the first fin (still covered with snow). Did most of Porcupine Rim (took our lives into our own hands) instead.
If it doesn't warm up, trails will be quite restricted due to the snow lingering......still hoping for Poison Spider....
Be careful out there!

roverrocks

Your Kane Creek photos did not show very much snow at the trailhead so I am assuming Hurrah pass would not have too at this time much right? Also do you know how much snow is on the ground at the Determination Towers/Monitor/Merrimac area? Must have been quite a bit on the ground at the Porcupine Rim.

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
It has been cold here but remember when they post Moab temperatures, they are using the airport which is 16 miles North of Moab and super exposed. We're usually a bit warmer here.

The 5's and 6's of the early morning have turned to the high 20's by mid day. Now this isn't warm but it's do-able if you have an enclosed rig.

Hurrah Pass would probably be okay. The Kane Creek road was easily passable although we did turn in the hubs due to it being icy.

A couple of rigs in our club went out to the Metal Masher area and found the main trail passable too although there was a fair amount of snow. No way for Rock Chucker, Widowmaker so I'm guessing you could get by in that area too.

If you wheel alone out here, make sure you let someone know where you're going. As you can see from our winter reports, trails are fun but the need for recovery help is fairly common.

You are more than welcome to join us. We'll see you at the cinema on Saturday at 10:00am (we moved the time by 1 hour). If we can't get on P.S., we'll find something else to do! It is, after all, the first trail of the year!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Much more snow accumulation yesterday and continuing cold temperatures have ruled out slickrock trails such as Poison Spider. We are moving our trail to Steel Bender. This also moves our meeting spot to the South Shell station, the one right near the KOA and not too far from the riding arena. Still meeting at 10:00am. I will update the website.....