Newbie bike advise

Jeromy

Seams like a lot of you guys are into dirt bikes. I'm looking into getting a dirt bike. I've owned several street bikes but never a dirt bike. Only time I rode one was in my early 20's a kawi 250 that my buddy owned. I remember it being a beast. I'd like a bike I can take to the dunes, do some trail riding, whatever. Info on me, 37 year old 250 lbs.

I'm not exactly sure on which bike I should get. I have been looking at 450 four strokes on ksl.

Is the 450 to big for a newbie to learn on or should I be looking at a 250? Or something else? Budget around 3k.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I personally think a 250 4 stroke is a great bike to learn on. You should have no problem finding one in that price range if you look for a 6+ year old bike. (250) Plan to look a little older for a 450.

In the dunes you can never have enough power though, and for a bigger guy a 250 won't haul you up big faces as well.

However a 250 won't try to kill you while you're learning which is nice, you can always sell a bike and upgrade later if you like spending time on one.

For me, it was a big investment in time to get good enough to really enjoy myself. There's a steep learning curve at first and a bike with a lot of power or that is too racy will make learning less fun.

I might have started on a CRF250x or WR250f had I know what I know now. That magic button really makes learning more enjoyable.

jentzschman

For me personally, I would want the power of the 450. If you want to get it plated for street use, the extra ponies will make a huge difference. I have a plated WR450 and love that thing.

The weight of the 450 is noticeably more than a 250, but not a deal breaker I wouldn't think.

Tonkaman

What kind of street bikes did you ride, Cruisers or sport?
If your used to sport bikes then you could handle a bigger dirt bike. Remember the 250 you rode years ago was a 2 stroke engine which is equivalent to a 450 4 stroke engine. The power of a 2 stroke typically feels laggy then it hits hard and fast. That's likely the feeling you were experiencing before. A 4 stroke even a 450 has a very smooth consistent power delivery. As long as you know how to modulate power with a clutch it won't likely get away from you.
I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much power. As a beginner the torque of a 4 stroke will allow you to ride much lazier and slower.
If you want to enjoy the dunes I wouldn't even consider a 250 4 stroke, it just won't push hard enough.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Not much to add other than if you're planning to ride trails I'd recommend buying a trail bike and not a motocross bike. With trails and dune riding in mind I would be looking at the Yamaha WR450F's and the KTM 450 EXC or XC models.

Jeromy

What kind of street bikes did you ride, Cruisers or sport?
If your used to sport bikes then you could handle a bigger dirt bike. Remember the 250 you rode years ago was a 2 stroke engine which is equivalent to a 450 4 stroke engine. The power of a 2 stroke typically feels laggy then it hits hard and fast. That's likely the feeling you were experiencing before. A 4 stroke even a 450 has a very smooth consistent power delivery. As long as you know how to modulate power with a clutch it won't likely get away from you.
I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much power. As a beginner the torque of a 4 stroke will allow you to ride much lazier and slower.
If you want to enjoy the dunes I wouldn't even consider a 250 4 stroke, it just won't push hard enough.

I have had both, cruisers and a sport bike. I did a bunch of track days and rider courses at miller on an r6, What a blast that was.

Jeromy

I personally think a 250 4 stroke is a great bike to learn on. You should have no problem finding one in that price range if you look for a 6+ year old bike. (250) Plan to look a little older for a 450.

In the dunes you can never have enough power though, and for a bigger guy a 250 won't haul you up big faces as well.

However a 250 won't try to kill you while you're learning which is nice, you can always sell a bike and upgrade later if you like spending time on one.

For me, it was a big investment in time to get good enough to really enjoy myself. There's a steep learning curve at first and a bike with a lot of power or that is too racy will make learning less fun.

I might have started on a CRF250x or WR250f had I know what I know now. That magic button really makes learning more enjoyable.

Thanks! I am assuming the magic button is electric start?

Jeromy

Not much to add other than if you're planning to ride trails I'd recommend buying a trail bike and not a motocross bike. With trails and dune riding in mind I would be looking at the Yamaha WR450F's and the KTM 450 EXC or XC models.

thanks, I will look at those closer.

Tonkaman

I have had both, cruisers and a sport bike. I did a bunch of track days and rider courses at miller on an r6, What a blast that was.

Well then I wouldn't think any bike would be too big for you. Just like any bike, they will only go as fast as you let it.

Excellent point about getting a trail bike instead of a motocross bike. It will save you lots of heartache and cash in the end

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Rholbrook has a buddy that has a ktm 450 thats he is wanting to sell pretty cheap. Id hit him up

Being a bigger guy myself i would say stay away from the 250 4 stroke. It will get you around but your gonna be wanting more on any climb

The good thing about 450 4 strokes is the power is always there.....if you dont want a lot, dont twist the throttle as much

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Rholbrook has a buddy that has a ktm 450 thats he is wanting to sell pretty cheap. Id hit him up

Being a bigger guy myself i would say stay away from the 250 4 stroke. It will get you around but your gonna be wanting more on any climb

The good thing about 450 4 strokes is the power is always there.....if you dont want a lot, dont twist the throttle as much

^^^^ This.

I weigh almost 100 lbs. less than you, and a 250f with a big bore kit was a bit light on power at times for me. I vote for the 450.

Jeromy

Ok thanks guys I'll keep looking at 450's. Sounds like I'll be unhappy with the 250 power wise. As I get older I know I can't do stupid stuff so I'll take it pretty slow. I've lost a bunch of weight and hope the bike keeps me motivated to keep it up.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
With your experience, a 450 is the way to go. (well, a 2 stroke is the only REAL way to go..but that's a whole other topic..)
A bike with a wide ratio transmission would be ideal for what you are looking for. Electric start is a must for a big thumper..

rholbrook

^^^^ This.

I weigh almost 100 lbs. less than you, and a 250f with a big bore kit was a bit light on power at times for me. I vote for the 450.

But you are Von-freaking-ski with a bad ass IT490 I want to throw a leg over.

Its a 2006 KTM 450 that needs some work. Street legal, FMF and rebuilt not too long ago. It will go cheap. Its been hard to start lately so its valves whether it needs adjusting or a valve job I dont know. It got warm on a ride after blowing a hose and then was hard to start after that. If you have any maintenance skills, this would be a no brainer.

PM returned.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Actually, now that I think about it, I know where a YZ450F, KTM400, KTM450 and KX450 and possibly a KTM530 are for sale. All really low hours. Its my son-in-laws uncle. I spoke to him the other day and asked me if I knew anyone looking. Dont know what kind of deal you can get on these but they are all nice bikes. I will check on these as well because I never really paid attention to the years. I think the YZ was white with gray or black decals if that helps any on that one. I dont know what year they make the KTM 400s either. I bet they havent been started in well over a year.

Jeromy

But you are Von-freaking-ski with a bad ass IT490 I want to throw a leg over.

Its a 2006 KTM 450 that needs some work. Street legal, FMF and rebuilt not too long ago. It will go cheap. Its been hard to start lately so its valves whether it needs adjusting or a valve job I dont know. It got warm on a ride after blowing a hose and then was hard to start after that. If you have any maintenance skills, this would be a no brainer.

PM returned.

Yeah sounds like it would fit the bill nicely.

Jeromy

Actually, now that I think about it, I know where a YZ450F, KTM400, KTM450 and KX450 and possibly a KTM530 are for sale. All really low hours. Its my son-in-laws uncle. I spoke to him the other day and asked me if I knew anyone looking. Dont know what kind of deal you can get on these but they are all nice bikes. I will check on these as well because I never really paid attention to the years. I think the YZ was white with gray or black decals if that helps any on that one. I dont know what year they make the KTM 400s either. I bet they havent been started in well over a year.
Sweet thanks!