Newbie from Florida

Hello everyone I am a newbie to this site. My name is Willy and I am from South Florida. I belong to the South Florida Jeep Club and a memeber of JeepTalk forum. I own a 2006 TJ with a 4" lift and was recommended to this forum by a fellow Jeeper who recently moved from Salt Lake City to Ft Lauderdale, Florida. Here is a picture of my Jeep in the closest thing to flex we have down here.
2475241192_b34c24e143.jpg
The I am going to be in Salt Lake City July 28 thru Aug 3. My wife has a conference there and I am tagging along :D. I am hoping to check out the trails in Moab and if there are any near Salt Lake City. Does anyone here know if there are places to rent Jeep in Salt Lake City? The only places I find on the net are in Moab but I was hoping to find something in Salt Lake City which is where my wife's conference is and that is where we will be arriving. It will be my first time out west and I am really excited to get a chance at Moab.

Thanks for your help.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Cool! I don't know of any places in Salt Lake that rent Jeeps. There's really not much really close to Salt Lake to wheel anyway. Go straight to Moab and spend as much time there as you can.

jdub

Scrambler
There are local trails along the hills of SLC and others in the proximity of an hour. Unfortunately for you and us(gas prices) Moab is 4 hours away. You could take a small plane to the Moab airport and Jeep rentals are available in the town of Moab.

Thanks for the quick response. My plans are to at least spend one day at Moab but hopefully a few, but will need to drive back on forth because of my wife's conference. Yea gas is a killer I pay here for regular anywhere between 4.09 and 4.25. We will be staying at the Cliff Lodge and Spa near SLC and that is where her conference will be held. I have already mentioned to her my plans to drive to Moab. Hopefully I can find a Jeep in SLC. If any of you are going to be in Moab probably Saturday Aug 2 let me know.

Cherokeester

Just FYI, the Cliff lodge is up at Snowbird, you will be a solid four hours away from Moab. If you leave early in the morning, you could rent a Jeep in Moab and wheel all day and then drive home at night. Cliffhanger jeep rentals or Farabees is a good place to start. Rent a cheapo car from Hertz or something and take that to Moab.

Once you get there you will wish you had at least a week. But a day or two of Moab is better than none.:D
I have been told. The Jeeper that lived in SLC and is now here in FL (Joseph he has a Diesel 2006 Liberty) told me that I must go to Moab at least one day minimum because it will be a shame to be so close and not go there. I am just hoping the trails are not too difficult to follow (well marked)

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I have been told. The Jeeper that lived in SLC and is now here in FL (Joseph he has a Diesel 2006 Liberty) told me that I must go to Moab at least one day minimum because it will be a shame to be so close and not go there. I am just hoping the trails are not too difficult to follow (well marked)

Some are easier to navigate then others. Most all gas stations down there sale this book. It is about $25 dollars and is an excellent guide to have out on the trails with you. It has ratings of all the trails from easy dirt road type trails to very hard trails that you may not want to take a rental on. Have fun you will be itching to come back when you go back to Florida and cruise in your Jeep :D
mub2a.jpg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hate to bring down your trip, but it's going to be hotter than Hell end of July, beginning of August. Like, 105*+.... even hotter on the rocks. Early mornings would tolerable, and after the sun goes down. Most people usually stay away from Moab during mid-summer. Just an FYI.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
^^ so ive heard, ha ha i will tuff it out for a few days, should be fine. After all, august 19th im moving to st. george. Another place that is hot enough to cook a steak on the sidewalk.

Yeah I figured that since it's the desert but unfortunately I have no other option. Do the rental Jeeps in Moab have AC?
I am used to mid to upper 90's and 80 to 90 % humidity which we have in FL. You break sweat even at midnight

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My sister just rented a 4 door JK Sahara, in stock form, from the airport in SLC. Only $27 per day. I don't know how it was that cheap. Just get the good insurance package and you're set.

My sister just rented a 4 door JK Sahara, in stock form, from the airport in SLC. Only $27 per day. I don't know how it was that cheap. Just get the good insurance package and you're set.
Wow!!!!! What rental place did she get it from?
I rented one from Rugged Rental and it will cost me about $450 for the week with 1400 free miles.

Last edited:

jesse

Masshole
^^ so ive heard, ha ha i will tuff it out for a few days, should be fine. After all, august 19th im moving to st. george. Another place that is hot enough to cook a steak on the sidewalk.

you've probably got ac in that thing though

Yeah I figured that since it's the desert but unfortunately I have no other option. Do the rental Jeeps in Moab have AC?
I am used to mid to upper 90's and 80 to 90 % humidity which we have in FL. You break sweat even at midnight

as a fellow east coaster I know what the humidity is like and its really cool to get out there and step into the shade and be about 10 degrees cooler than out in the sun