Newfies, Hogups & Mud

CobraNutt

I posted this over on ExpUt, but forgot to share it here...

I was invited to tag along with a few new friends last Sunday for a leisurely ride around the GSL. I think Rob, Dave and Dave (IM1RU, Maxterra and Blind_Io) just wanted a poor, non-Xterra rig to pick on.

Started the day meeting at the Flying J in Lake Point, then headed out west and north, hoping to avoid any Live Fire activities along the way. We made it to the causeway, and off we went to the Newfies...braving the light rain and snot-like mud out there!
IMG_2808-L.jpg

Good time to air down a bit...save the tires and the spinal column!
IMG_2814-L.jpg

Quick stop at the pump building. Wish I could have been around to see it in action! Impressive to say the least!
IMG_2827-L.jpg

...and off we go...into the gooey desert!
20140921_102738-L.jpg

Heading south toward the Newfies...the area had a little rain, but not too much, just enough to make the top layer nice and slick.
IMG_2835-L.jpg

IMG_2836-L.jpg

We ventured up several roads as we explored the range. Lots of terrific scenery and great views all around.
IMG_2849-L.jpg

IMG_2850-L.jpg

We were amazed at the color still out there. Due to all the rain this summer, it's not nearly as brown as usual. The juniper trees were full of berries, and the smell of the desert sage was quite noticeable. It was really nice to see!
IMG_2869-L.jpg

...and you never know what you'll find to climb around on out there!
IMG_2876-L.jpg

As we headed back to head around the north of the lake, the clouds rolled in a little lower...a little thicker...a little more full of water.
IMG_2903-L.jpg

IMG_2909-L.jpg

Ok...so here's where I think the Xterra guys wanted to have some fun. They knew it would be sloppy out there not too far from the tracks on the way back. I think they had it all planned. "Let's go stir up the goop in the wash for the new guy in the little Jeep and see what happens." I don't have action pics or video (I was a little busy) of the Liberty coming through the mud, but I got a standing ovation on the other side! The liberty decided to show the Nissan guys how to cross a mud puddle...by taking the hardest way imaginable. Of course I wasn't involved in that part of the planning, but that's what we ended up doing. The only thing I was in charge of was the go-pedal. The trajectory was decided by the Liberty and the Mud Gods. Half way through, I saw the bigs ruts headed off to the left. I steered a bit to the right to miss them. The Liberty said NOPE, and went for the ruts. I disagreed, but lost the argument. Not just one rut, but both of them. Pedal to the metal! I was either going to get through there or bury the Liberty trying! We made it through and welcomed the cheers from the crowd!

I think I gained two tire sizes and 500 lbs in the process...
IMG_2933-L.jpg

IMG_2934-L.jpg

The clouds followed us most of the rest of the trip, but only light rain caught up to us.
IMG_2957-L.jpg

IMG_2965-L.jpg

Dave took us up the side of a mountain telling us what a great view it was at the top. We all gave him a bit of grief when we got to the top because we were in the middle of a cloud and couldn't see a dang thing!

But it soon began to clear, and the view opened up for us. Spectacular! My pics don't do it justice.
20140921_160351-L.jpg

IMG_2967-L.jpg

IMG_2970-L.jpg

20140921_160503-XL.jpg

Then off we went, back down the mountain, to head around the north end of the lake.
IMG_2979-L.jpg

Lots of road to explore...many more places to go see!
IMG_2990-L.jpg

IMG_3005-L.jpg

We made a quick stop at the Golden Spike Museum to air up the tires and head on home. It was a fun trip with some new friends. I wish my back would have held up a little better, but between this trip and the 150 miles I drove Saturday on my expedition around Soapstone Basin, I think it had had enough of the Jeep seat for awhile!

Thanks to Rob for inviting me (and feeding me lunch!), and to Dave and Dave for allowing me to tag along! It really was a great time! It also motivates me a little to get that 2.5" lift installed! Soooo...whenever you guys are ready to help me...

Can't wait to run around some more with these Xterra guys!

Oh...and I thought I'd share this with you guys too...
20140921_203259-M.jpg

20140921_203309-M.jpg

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Looks like a fun trip. For growing up in Corinne I have never made it to the Newfies. We always went north toward Grouse Creek and the Sawtooths. I spent a lot of time on the Hog-ups but one of these days I want to make it to the Newfies.

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
Cool report . Hopefully this winter I can get out there . Looks like the wheather was great for ya. We got dumped on while camping in the mountains this weekend .
Quick question; Can ya get to the Newfies from the suntunnels taking the Lucin cutoff east or does the road not follow all the way out. ???

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Cool report . Hopefully this winter I can get out there . Looks like the wheather was great for ya. We got dumped on while camping in the mountains this weekend .
Quick question; Can ya get to the Newfies from the suntunnels taking the Lucin cutoff east or does the road not follow all the way out. ???

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the only access from north is the railroad coming from the Hogup area. I know it used to be that way.

Jeepj667

Yes you can get there from the East. Just jump on the railroad maintenance road at Lucin. I haven't taken it East but I've driven it from Lakeside to Lucin westbound.

DAA

That's right. I hadn't woke up enough I guess - it's going south on either side of the range you run into the bombing range fence.

Every once in awhile you hear about someone getting a ticket for using the right of way.

- DAA

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm no authority, but I was under the impression that the access road that parallels the railroad was owned by the railroad and they will ticket you if they catch you on it, except for the section between Lakeside and the Noofs where the BLM makes them play nice because that's the only access to the BLM land in the mountains. Is that road open to public travel across the flat between the Noofs and Lucin too?

Troop92

Good to know where all that ties in! Last January some buddies and I headed out to the sun tunnels to play with long exposure cameras, and were going to take the old RR bed there.... but took a wrong turn and ended up at the pumphouse and on the RR causeway. I, like an idiot, left my map on the roof at a stop, so we didn't want to risk it. Ended up going all the way back to snowville for gas/grub and took the pavement to Lucin.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yes you can get there from the East. Just jump on the railroad maintenance road at Lucin. I haven't taken it East but I've driven it from Lakeside to Lucin westbound.

I'd like to try going that way home from FYTO this year. Could be an alternative to the 2 standard routes usually taken .

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
I'm no authority, but I was under the impression that the access road that parallels the railroad was owned by the railroad and they will ticket you if they catch you on it, except for the section between Lakeside and the Noofs where the BLM makes them play nice because that's the only access to the BLM land in the mountains. Is that road open to public travel across the flat between the Noofs and Lucin too?

This was my understanding as well..