Newfoundland Range, Spring 2009

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Newfoundland Exploration, 2009
We met early Saturday Morning at the Gas Station in Delle, UT as part of a Cruiseroutfitters run. Delle is usually lonely little place in the middle of the desert. We all gassed up, and made introductions, I hopped in with Jason in his FJ40 since we were both riding solo, and headed off to Lakeside through the UTTR (Utah Test and Training range). Once we arrived at Lakeside, we stopped at an old shack, looked around and took some photos. I was able to get to know Roger, a man who recently purchased a mining claim in Dells Canyon and was with us to see his purchase for the very first time. As Roger and I were chatting about how I knew everyone when I didn’t drive a ‘Cruiser, some others ran down to the R.R. tracks to smash some change as has become tradition on these west desert trips.

013.jpg

The sun was shining and the weather was great, so I was really digging driving through the desert in a topless Fj40. We hit the public right-of-way on the R.R. tracks and rallied to Hogup, the Infamous pumps built in the early 1980’s when flooding was a major concern in Utah. They were very briefly used, but are still maintained should the need for them ever arise. We spent a few minutes throwing rocks into the canal, as boys do when there are rocks and water within the same vicinity of each other. It’s almost as if we sense that the natural habitat for the rock is to be submerged in 6 feet of water, or maybe we like to see the splash. Either way it’s fun if you’re 3 or 30.
014.jpg

015.jpg

From Hogup it is a straight shot to the Newfies alongside the tracks, and let me tell you there is nothing like passing a moving train in a topless vehicle, intense doesn’t seem to describe the feeling very well. Once at the range, we headed over to an old copper mine claim, and explored for a little while. Some were adventurous and proceeded into the mine armed with flashlights and headlamps, while others stayed outside and explored other relics of the mines past.
020.jpg

019.jpg

With that mine sufficiently “explored”, we headed to the east side of the range on our way to Dell’s canyon, and Roger’s “new” claim. Storming through mud hole’s in a topless rig is always good (but dirty) fun.
Once at Dells Canyon, we had some lunch and hiked up to the tram tower to see as much as we could of the mine workings. It’s a great little canyon, with a great view, and Roger seemed very pleased with his purchase. I think at one time or another, we all were dreaming of buying a gold mine, and building a little cabin out there. From Roger’s new claim, we scooted back up and around to Miners basin. Miner’s basin is where you will find numerous mines, and adits chiseled out the solid rock. One of the coolest parts of the area is the stone house at Boston Terrace, a mining camp established by Scandinavian miners, being of Scandinavian descent, I was right at home in the low ceilings of the mines.
023.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

We explored a few more shafts, and had some great conversation, before we decided to head for home. On the way back, a dust storm rolled in, but in the GSL, it is more like a salt storm. We got pelted pretty good with salt, and rocks, but made it back to Delle in one piece in the dark, there I picked up my lonely YJ, and headed home, the end of a long truly epic trip to one of the most remote, and least accessible areas in the southwest.
As I write this I can’t help but reflect on the trips I’ve taken, and how fortunate I have been to know people who enjoy the same sense of adventure as I do. It’s always a treat to share these places with fellow adventurers.

Special thanks to Cory and Jess from GRE for guiding us and providing a bit of history.

Thursty

We spent a few minutes throwing rocks into the canal, as boys do when there are rocks and water within the same vicinity of each other. It’s almost as if we sense that the natural habitat for the rock is to be submerged in 6 feet of water, or maybe we like to see the splash. Either way it’s fun if you’re 3 or 30.
[/I]

SOOO TRUE! :rofl::rofl:

I think it would still be fun if you were 103. :D

Awesome report. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.