Next rig? Utv/Jeep/cruiser

Did John crush it by purchasing the Land Cruiser?

• Yes, as usual.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No. As usual.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is a pointless exercise, as dude's clearly going to sell it within a friggin fortnite, as usual

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Ok, so the time has come for me to lose some more money on an unnecessary purchase. I've had the honest discussion with the wife about my Vehicle Purchase Compulsion Syndrome (VPCS), and we have decided that since in most other respects I'm a decent person, we can adopt a position of symptom management, rather than try to cure the VPCS outright.

Specifically, if I plan on selling the vehicle before I even purchase it, I will perhaps limit the amount of money that will be lost when I actually sell. For example, I bought my 97 lx450 stock, swore I'd keep it forever (for REAL this time!), proceeded to build it up awesome, sold it at a strong price, and still lost many thousands. I then bought an already built 2008 land cruiser, drove it a bit until the itch was scratched, and was able to sort of break even when I sold it. I liked that transaction better.

SO, with that background, here's what I'm after:

-Fun Factor - must get the whole family out (wife and 4 kids, ages 3-12). Fun trails, camping, and a fun vehicle itself. I have a dirt bike for my own thrill rides, this will be family oriented.
- Low maintenance. I hate wrenching. I'm bad at it, don't like it, won't do it. I'm skeptical of older vehicles. Also, I have a weird personality quirk where I have a low tolerance for problems - or potential problems. On the lx450, we replaced the complete brake system and cooling system, not because it failed, but because I accidentally found the nuts on ih8mud who scared me into all sorts of unnecessary preventative maintenance. In the future, I'd rather lose money in depreciation than repairs.
- Minimal mods. My heavily built 200 had a much tougher time on fins-n-things than the non-rubicon jku on 35's and 2" lift, which in turn had a much harder time than the rzr we we're with. Not only do I want to avoid the cost and effort of off road mods which will be lost on resell, I don't want to try and force a vehicle to be what the original engineers did not intend.
- Capable. I'm not a serious rock crawler, but this vehicle should be able to do most of the major Moab trails without super amazing driving skills or major damage.
- Usage. This will be a fourth vehicle, and will be only used for good times. No commuting, relatively low miles each year.
- Resale value. See above.

PARAMETERS
- $15k price tag. This can be a BIT flexible, but not much
- I already have a 2018 tundra to take the family on dirt roads and truck accessible back country locales. So on-road manners are not as important as off-road manners.
- Seating for 6, UNLESS fun factor is super high. For example, the wife would love to cruiser around town in a Jeep with no top on. The jeep, I mean.

MY THOUGHTS:

Option A) UTV. Can Am defender or Yamaha Viking, 6 seaters. My kids love riding in our friends sxs's. I asked them if they would rather do a land cruiser campout or a sxs campout...they couldn't have said "sxs" any faster. I live on a large property and could use a plow/dump bed (currently store my neighbors quad with a plow and little trailer we can use, so this isn't a must).
Pros: Super capable out of the box, minimal mods.
Cons: require towing, exposed to elements, hear that mods can be expensive, and HOLY CRAP ARE THESE THINGS EXPENSIVE.

Option B) another land cruiser. I've owned a bunch of these. Thinking hundred series, 2" lift, 33" A/T's, sliders.
Pros: I've already drunk deep from the kool-aid cruiser chalice. Like the drivetrain, fit the whole fam.
Cons: without extensive mods, am I opening up THAT many trails that the tundra can't do? Hard to find at my price point not super old/tons of miles

Option C) Jeep Rubicon.
Pros: fun factor HIGH. Out of the box capability.
Cons: limited options at $15k. No seating for the whole fam (wife not big into off-roading beyond what my tundra will do though, so moot point?) Chrysler reliability question marks?

Thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited:

Caleb

One thing to point out on the UTV route, while mods can be expensive, the equivalent mod in any fullsize is more expensive. Just about all mods on them are wants not needs in order to do most trails. You can spend $600 and have a nice winch and be able to do whatever you want. I just bought some 32" tires and beadlock rims and spent $900 (I do get a discount on parts through RMATV)...32s on a UTV is quite large, stock on mine were 27" tires. We don't use our sxs a ton other than at our cabin but we love having it. I don't know that a 6 seater would be quite the same.

We did also just buy a new JL Rubicon. My wife enjoys wheeling but not enough that she would ever suggest that we go wheeling. She likes the doors off, top off stuff and has missed not having a jeep since we sold our last one several years ago. We also have my Raptor and she has a 4Runner, so plenty of capable offroad vehicles in our family but we still enjoy our rzr more than anything else.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I know of a LX450 that could be sold for the right price... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, you seem like a SXS would fit the ticket for what you are after. If not, then seriously consider a GX 470. @Coco I think is looking to sell a 470 in your price range that would fit your needs quite well if he still has the 3rd row in it.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I know of a LX450 that could be sold for the right price... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though, you seem like a SXS would fit the ticket for what you are after. If not, then seriously consider a GX 470. @Coco I think is looking to sell a 470 in your price range that would fit your needs quite well if he still has the 3rd row in it.
The lx450 that got away! Too bad my budget can't buy it back, I would keep it if I had a do-over. So much regret....
On the gx's - I do like those. Driving yours and seeing Rock Taco's thread makes me a believer. It's definitely a contender.
If I had to pick a front runner right now I'm thinking sxs, I just think that once I get one, plus trailer, plus doors/windshield and other accessories...I would be $$$$ into it, and better off just getting a well kitted suv?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The lx450 that got away! Too bad my budget can't buy it back, I would keep it if I had a do-over. So much regret....
On the gx's - I do like those. Driving yours and seeing Rock Taco's thread makes me a believer. It's definitely a contender.
If I had to pick a front runner right now I'm thinking sxs, I just think that once I get one, plus trailer, plus doors/windshield and other accessories...I would be $$$$ into it, and better off just getting a well kitted suv?
I would definitely look for a 470. They are pretty sweet, and pretty capable, with the Toyota reliability.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
comparing what you would spend on a sxs vs a well outfitted suv or a rubicon is not really a good comparison. They are completely different animals. I think you could have fun in all of them, but they will all be totally different.

Kinda like saying, “I have been thinking about a 4 wheeler/ATV, but might just go with a mountain bike because I could get a really nice bike for the same money”.

They will both go off road and are both fun, but they completely different from each other.

I would throw the price comparisons out the window and decide what you want the rig to do. Then I would buy the rig that fits the needs best and ignore how much the other choices would have cost you.

For fun factor the SXS wins
For overlanding/camping it is SUV
For rock crawling/camping the rubicon fits best.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
For fun factor the SXS wins
For overlanding/camping it is SUV
For rock crawling/camping the rubicon fits best.
I'm often wary of over-simplifying complex questions...but I guarantee I also over-complicate simple ones. This is good.

Last edited:

Coco

Yep, I am seriously considering selling or trading my GX470 to go back to a truck. If you're interested, send me a PM. I got a guy on GXOR Offroad that wants to come take a look at it before I list it as well. I even still have the 3rd row seats for it too. :D

As far as SXS's go, I just got back from Moab for the Rally On The Rocks event, and I was really impressed with what they can do. They are amazing machines for what they are. I really enjoy it.

Last edited:

LJTim

With options A & S, you still haven't fit within your parameters of fitting wife and 4 kids in the car. I think SXS's are hands down the most practical and fun off-road vehicle you can get. Especially a newer RZR 1000 or something that competes with that. Blazing the dunes in one of these is an absolute ball. However, aside from having to tow it to wherever you go, they are 100% toys. With the Cruiser or Jeep, you can at least double their purpose as a car. The Jeep will require a 3rd row seat which is doable for a couple thousand. But for $15,000, you will be somewhat limited. There are very few Rubicon 4-doors for under 15k. More have been coming available lately with manual trans. But Jeeps need love. If you hate working on them, I'd steer away. I absolutely LOVE my Jeep, but it needs love. About every 3-4 times I go out, a new popping noise shows up that I have to deal with. Annoying, yes. But I'm not so sure every vehicle wouldn't have to deal with this if you are taking it on the trails I am (not the toughest trails, but 7-8 rated with big tires).

PS, My brother is thinking about selling his 2008 JKU Sahara with Rubicon axles, RCV shafts, 5.38's, 35" MTR's, Tera long arm (with joints that need replacing) and 3rd row seat. I bet he will be asking around $15k.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm going to suggest, based on your previous vehicles and needs for seats, buying a built, locked 80 Series on 35's (or 37's) with 3 row seating. Ensure the head gasket has been done and the PHH (pesky heater hose) has been replaced and the rest of the maintenance is cake. Hell, I'm sure @cruiseroutfit and his shop will make sure it's reliable and ready for your trips if you don't want to do the work yourself.

IMO a 80 Series with under 300k miles with the right suspension, lockers and big tires will be more capable than you will ever need. It will be dead reliable, not get great gas mileage, not run comfortably at 80 MPH on the freeway, but it will fit your needs perfectly. You don't need a trailer, you get better reliability than a $15k Jeep, it'll haul everyone in comfort, it'll be way more built than you'll ever need and there is something to be said about having A/C, Heat and even heated seats, if you buy the right rig. The 80 Series Cruisers last forever, the aftermarket supporting them is huge, any issues are known and documented, etc. And a 80 Series will be way more capable than a 100 Series when the going gets rough and if you go back to Moab, wheel travel of a solid axle versus IFS.

Something like this ought to do - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-lx450-built-locked-15000-phoenix-az.1071550/

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I'm going to suggest, based on your previous vehicles and needs for seats, buying a built, locked 80 Series on 35's (or 37's) with 3 row seating. Ensure the head gasket has been done and the PHH (pesky heater hose) has been replaced and the rest of the maintenance is cake. Hell, I'm sure @cruiseroutfit and his shop will make sure it's reliable and ready for your trips if you don't want to do the work yourself.

IMO a 80 Series with under 300k miles with the right suspension, lockers and big tires will be more capable than you will ever need. It will be dead reliable, not get great gas mileage, not run comfortably at 80 MPH on the freeway, but it will fit your needs perfectly. You don't need a trailer, you get better reliability than a $15k Jeep, it'll haul everyone in comfort, it'll be way more built than you'll ever need and there is something to be said about having A/C, Heat and even heated seats, if you buy the right rig. The 80 Series Cruisers last forever, the aftermarket supporting them is huge, any issues are known and documented, etc. And a 80 Series will be way more capable than a 100 Series when the going gets rough and if you go back to Moab, wheel travel of a solid axle versus IFS.

Something like this ought to do - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1996-lx450-built-locked-15000-phoenix-az.1071550/

*SIGH* I've owned (5?) 80's for varying amounts of time over the past 12 years. Definitely a love/hate with those. I have a friend with 330k on his, no problems in sight, little to no preventative maintenance it seems like, and is his daily driver. Pretty sure he's planning on being buried in it. These are definitely the ones that turn my head when I pass them on the street. That said, I always regret owning them whenever I have to drive up a canyon, or accelerate onto the freeway, and it seemed like mine was always sucking up $$$$, though I can admit that a large part of the work done was elective surgery. Even with all that, I definitely always regret selling them, but I'm scared to get into that cycle again.

So that's why I'm thinking 100 series or GX470. Had that 4.7 in my 01 tundra and absolutely loved it. To the point where I might give up the solid axle advantage in order to have that engine.

This is my dad's '06 LX and its a heck of a lot more fun to drive than my LX450 ever was.

On the question of SUV based adventure vs SXS, I'm definitely biased toward being in a vehicle. That's all I've known, and it just feels right, a more sociable pace of travel, connection with community, and having a connection with a vehicle that can be thought of as a member of the off-road team. I can't see myself anthropomorphizing a SXS in the same way as a trusted cruiser companion. However, this is why I'm bringing the issue before the committee - just because I went to easter jeep safari as a teenager and decided that this was the best way to off-road, doesn't mean I should be closed off to new experiences.............?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
With options A & S, you still haven't fit within your parameters of fitting wife and 4 kids in the car. I think SXS's are hands down the most practical and fun off-road vehicle you can get. Especially a newer RZR 1000 or something that competes with that. Blazing the dunes in one of these is an absolute ball. However, aside from having to tow it to wherever you go, they are 100% toys. With the Cruiser or Jeep, you can at least double their purpose as a car. The Jeep will require a 3rd row seat which is doable for a couple thousand. But for $15,000, you will be somewhat limited. There are very few Rubicon 4-doors for under 15k. More have been coming available lately with manual trans. But Jeeps need love. If you hate working on them, I'd steer away. I absolutely LOVE my Jeep, but it needs love. About every 3-4 times I go out, a new popping noise shows up that I have to deal with. Annoying, yes. But I'm not so sure every vehicle wouldn't have to deal with this if you are taking it on the trails I am (not the toughest trails, but 7-8 rated with big tires).
This is great feedback on the Real World of Jeep Ownership. Not having ever owned a built Jeep, I fear the mystery popping noises. Especially where my price point boxes me out from low mileage options. And since the first post, I've pretty much ruled out anything that won't fit my whole family, which sort of takes jeep off the table altogether I think.

So then the question is toy vs car. As stated above, my personal preference is suv, it just feels right. But kids want sxs, and I have friends that absolutely love them. At this point I'm just trying to widen my understanding of pros and cons and try and find what will fit best with my sort of specific criteria listed out in the OP

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We bought a SXS a year ago this month. I still can't say I love it. There is quite a bit about it that I dislike.

-It's really effing loud.
-The CVT transmission, I hate it for slow speed crawling.
-It's really dusty.
-I feel like I'm betraying my Tread Lightly friends just by being seen in it.

Some of this is because of the style of SXS I bought. It's closer to a sand rail than a Utility vehicle.

I'm really only happy with it when I'm in sand or blasting through a whoop section of road. I fully admit that it will run over any terrain at a much higher speed than my Jeep, or really any SUV. I'm sure I could get through all of Poison Spike Bar trail in under 4 hours, maybe 3, but I'm not sure I WANT to get though trails that fast.

I think about the offroading I've done in my life and imagine doing all of it with this SXS... I think I'll just take the Jeep instead, or maybe my tow rig. The SXS removes all of the peace and gracefulness that I didn't know was there until I bought that green machine with the pissed-off angry motor. It will haul ass for sure, but I just don't care to.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
@Hickey, that's a valid point. There's plenty of guys I won't ride dirt bikes with, because they're in it for Strava, while I'm in it for scenery. Went mountain biking with my wife for the first time in our 15 year marriage, made me (almost!) want to sell the KTM 500 and just MTN bike - so quiet and peaceful!

I guess my theory was to do sxs trail riding the way I do dirt biking - slow(ish) and scenic. But maybe at that point stay with the suv?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
@Hickey, that's a valid point. There's plenty of guys I won't ride dirt bikes with, because they're in it for Strava, while I'm in it for scenery. Went mountain biking with my wife for the first time in our 15 year marriage, made me (almost!) want to sell the KTM 500 and just MTN bike - so quiet and peaceful!

I guess my theory was to do sxs trail riding the way I do dirt biking - slow(ish) and scenic. But maybe at that point stay with the suv?
I hate to sway you away from anything because this is only my experience with one style of machine. I feel like a more utilitarian sxs would have suited me better. One with a dump bed. They are slower and not nearly as loud.
If you love to go fast and jump and blast through a trail, and let all of nature know that you are rapidly approaching... mine is perfect.