No insurance card ticket

bretto

Willytime
So I was on my home from Moab today and got pulled over in Emery county for speeding but the speeding was dropped with a warning. Additionally the officer marked on the ticket for not being able to prove insurance (no card in the vehicle). I do have current insurance. Do you think it will get dismissed by proving I had insurance at the time of the incident?

caddis

That happened to me a few years ago. (in Helper of course!) I just called down there and they had me fax a copy of the insurance and they dropped the ticket.

Caleb

Most of the time they will drop it, you just have to prove you had insurance at the time. I once got in an accident (first accident, when I was 16) and although I had my card, it was in my glove box and my glove box was locked. Since I had the spare key I couldn't unlock the glove box. I got a ticket for no insurance but it was dropped when I took my card in to the city (South Jordan). Hope it get's dropped, at the time (almost 15 years ago :eek: ) it was a $300-$400 ticket. :)

M

muddyjeep

You know the stupid thing about these tickets? Is they can run your plate and see if you have Insurance! Sounds like a BS ticket!

Caleb

You know the stupid thing about these tickets? Is they can run your plate and see if you have Insurance!

...and your point? I hope they really can check for insurance. I don't want anyone on the road with me that isn't responsible enough to have insurance. There's absolutely no excuse ever for driving without insurance. If you can't afford insurance then what makes you think you'll be able to afford paying for the crash you get in?

Sounds like a BS ticket!

You don't comprehend too well do you? He said he has insurance but didn't have the card. So the UHP have special powers that can tell if you're carrying your card? SWEET!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
it doesn't matter if you have insurance or not... you still need to have the card and your license on you or in your vehicle at all times... its the law... so yes they can still cite you for not having one or the other... most will dismiss the ticket but remember this... right now most towns are hurting for money, and a ticket that brings in $400 really helps a small town... so put the card in your car or wallet or whatever but make sure you have it.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
...and your point? I hope they really can check for insurance. I don't want anyone on the road with me that isn't responsible enough to have insurance. There's absolutely no excuse ever for driving without insurance. If you can't afford insurance then what makes you think you'll be able to afford paying for the crash you get in?

You don't comprehend too well do you? He said he has insurance but didn't have the card. So the UHP have special powers that can tell if you're carrying your card? SWEET!

FWIW, I got pulled over a few years ago because the computer said I didn't have insurance, I showed them my card and he said his system probably hadn't updated. I only had the vehicle a couple months when this happened.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i got one in south salt lake. the officer told me to take my insurance card in and they would drop it. i did that and the clerk refused to take it. i had to call my agent and have them fax over a signed statement saying i was insured on the date of the citation. this ticket also came with an obstructed view(sticker in my back window) and a mud flap ticket. that was a rough day.

4554x4

always modifing something
The ironic thing here is, you can have an insurance card on your person or in the vehicle and it proves nothing other than you HAD insurance recently. If you fail to make payment on the insurance, it automaticaly drops, even if the card says differently.

When I was pulled over for going over the suggested speed in Arizona, they didn't even want to see the insurance card.

bretto

Willytime
well why didn't you have proof of insurance, Leadfoot? :cody: :rofl:

Look, I didn't ask my question here to get ridiculed. I'm asking a relative question about it. If you don't have a relative answer, go spout of somewhere else. I have my new card that I got 2 weeks ago right here. It just didn't ever make it into my car (my mistake...ok). I'm not an uninsured driver. It just kills me that they think they can charge $400 for something so petty compared to the many other items on this other paper, showing all the fine's rates, that he gave to me. Speeding thru a school zone is cheaper! Not having insurance at all is the same fine as not being able to prove it($400). I can see that if you are uninsured.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Who's ridiculing you? You failed to comply with the law, you got nailed for another vehicular offense, you broke the law. And you had 14 days to prevent one of those, so maybe somebody SHOULD ridicule you for that. Get thicker skin, Sally. ;)

The relative answer has been posted already: they will likely drop it if you show you were insured at the time. I've had the same thing happen here in Tooele, wasn't a big deal. In my case, my wife had taken it out of the truck to get some quotes, unbeknownst to me. And I was speeding like I do every day, 30 in a 25 because 25 is stupid. :D

bretto

Willytime
Tacoma, I'm sorry but when someone throws out a name and flips you off, how am I supposed to take it? Maybe I'm a bit edgy right now and took it the wrong way-sorry. Who's Sally? jk

I just received info from a cop who stated:
"Yeah, they'll dismiss it. You must've done something right. I worked for a department in the past where I had an unofficial "quota". Instead of sticking it to someone for a moving violation speeding ticket I'd always look for something like driver license not in possession or no proof of insurance because they're dismiss'able violations. For a no insurance ticket, or no proof of insurance ticket, all you need is a binder statement from the insurance company to have it dismissed."
Looks like with the majority of the info I have read, it will be dismissed so I am hopeful.