No title jeep

jruss

I have seen a couple cheap vehicles for sale that do not have a title and only come with a bill of sale. Can I register a jeep with no title as and OHV?

D

Deleted member 12904

Unless their is a lein on the vehicle you can likely get it titled for a few hundred bucks and some work. I did it once on a 64 impala I had. It was a pain. The problem is most of the time when you find vehicles without a title its cause the lein holder has it. I actually had a guy last year I almost bought a dirt bike from said he lost the title and tried to sell it with the duplicate title form. That wouldn't be an issue if it was legit but I stopped by the DMV had them run the vin and it showed a lein holder so I would not have been able to register it with the duplicate title form. Be carful its not even so much that the people are lying about it since a lot of these things get passed around so much the current owner usually doesn't even know the real story behind why their is no title.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The state does a title search for a nominal fee, the catch is that it can take several weeks or more and thus you won't know if it has a lien and or bad title (stolen, etc.) until it is either sold or you have made the purchase. I've owned a dozen or more titleless vehicles, usually old Land Cruisers that have been sitting for 10+ years, knock on wood I haven't had any come back with bad titles and they usually have been quick to issue them BUT it can happen at any time.

ricsrx

i purchased an old 70 Harley, no title, PO said (disclamer)it might have been stolen, but it has been in his families possion for over 15 years. trailered it to the DMV, they walked out side and verified the VIN, ran a back ground check, no lein holder listed, has not been registered for over 10 years.
She used my bill of sale and processed the purchase.
I now have a title in hand.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We bought a street bike without a title once. Went to register it.. Stolen out of Provo 20yrs prior! Found the owner in NY. He said it was stolen while at byu when it the bike was new. He was long over it and sent the title to us.

Bought a dirtbike from a guy without a title. His nephew bought it new. Lived in Georgia, where they don't track titles. Nephew died, and the dad didn't want to see the bike anymore, gave it to uncle. Uncle kept it for a few years, then we bought it. Knowing the history, and having original paper work, I was not concerned.
Went to register.. STOLEN. Dad didn't finish paying it off, told insurance it was stolen. Insurance reported it stolen.

But then I have also bought about 10 other vehicles without title that have been fine.

jruss

I should have started the thread with this link. I am interested in the willys edition TJ that is listed as "parts only". I don't get how these vehicles can be parts only when they are not destroyed. Anyone care to enlighten me?

idahoyj

actual vehicle link
http://www.daveysjeeps.com/repairables/R715376.html
The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's a flood/salvage vehicle???
They are pretty up front and clear about the lack of title. The next vehicle says "don't ask why" in addition to "no title available".
I would talk to them and get the VIN. Then talk to your local DMV and see what information they can give you. Maybe they can assign a new VIN and call it "repaired"?

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I should have started the thread with this link. I am interested in the willys edition TJ that is listed as "parts only". I don't get how these vehicles can be parts only when they are not destroyed. Anyone care to enlighten me?

People think they can sell a parts only vehicle without a title, because they don't intend for it to be used. However, they are completely wrong. It's still a vehicle and must be sold with title, Unless they have a dismantling permit. (which requires a title to receive)

Basically dumb people thinking they can get around the rules.

I would be concerned about that one being as it is newer. Call the DMV, tell them you are looking at a vehicle and want to make sure it's ok to purchase. Give them the VIN, and they can check real fast (Not an in depth search, but will catch any immediate problems).

additionally it would be interesting to see how a dealer has a jeep without title..

Last edited:

Caleb

IMO, that's sketchy as hell. As a business selling these and not having titles...I'd stay far away from them.