Noob run #2 May 6-7 - Wheeling trip for new members

sixstringsteve

This trip has been officially canceled due to me not being able to get the appropriate permits from the BLM (my fault, not theirs).

This trip is on May 6-7

Purpose:
The purpose of this trip is to raise awareness and introduce new wheelers to the sport of 4-wheeling. You'll get to meet more experienced RME members and learn some techniques to help you stay safe and legal on our trails. Remember, the focus is on the new members and helping them have a great time. We'll have to fight our selfish urges to just run the hard trails and leave them in the dust, but I'm confident we can do it. This is a family-friendly trip, so please help keep the atmosphere friendly for kids.

Who
Anyone is welcome to attend; whether you’re an RME member or not. We will have new RME members, friends, family, and some of the more experienced RME'ers, but the focus will be on the people who are new to wheeling. Even if you're not an RME member you're welcome to attend.

What to bring

- Firewood

- Tent/camping gear

- Nametags: Yes, it may feel corny, but one of the best things you’ll get out of this run is a chance to meet RME members and associate their faces with their usernames. This was our biggest lesson we learned from the first noob run. We all had a blast, but I didn’t associate too many names with the rigs people drove. Bring a nametag (tape, shoe polish on your rig, stickie pads, whatever) and write your name so people can get to know you.

- trash bags: We're going to see who can collect the most trash out there. Unfortunately, a lot of other people aren't as responsible as we should be. bring a few hefty glad bags and see how much you can pick up.

Vehicle requiremets
- 4 wheel drive
- no other requirements
Expect zero body damage unless you decide to push the limits of your vehicle.

The Trail
Little Moab isn’t really a trail; it’s more of a playground for 4x4s on the west side of Utah Lake (near the old nutty putty caves). It’s a few piles of rocks, where you can play and test your skills on different terrain. You can have PLENTY of fun with a stock 4x4, and you can have plenty of fun with a buggy as well.

Meeting times & Locations Link to map

Since this isn’t a trail run, you can pretty much show up whenever you want. I’ll be arriving at Little Moab around 8 PM.
If you’re the type of person who likes to follow someone in to camp, I will be meeting at Cabella’s at 7 PM, May 6th. You’re welcome tag along and follow me to little moab if you don’t know how to get there.

Schedule:
Friday night:
9:00 PM. I’m trying to get a Treadlightly instructor to come give us the 1 hour overview training around a campfire. I’m hoping for 9 PM or so, but it all depends on the trainer.

Saturday morning:
Wheel, get to know people, mess around. If you want some tips and pointers, feel free to attend one of the two overview crash courses below. If you don’t want to attend the classes, go play on the rocks.
9:00 AM: Spotting. For those who want to learn to be a better spotter (or learn how to follow a spotter), gather around at 9:00 AM. We’ll be teaching a very basic overview of how to be a good spotter. We’ll give you some advice and let you practice spotting someone through an obstacle.

10:00 AM: general overview for noob wheelers (very basic things like when to engage 4lo, side-hilling, bumping, backing up, how to approach simple obstacles, etc.) We’ll have a basic “obstacle course” where we will help you learn the best way to get over certain obstacles. It’s recommended you attend the spotting course so you understand how to follow your spotter.

After 11 or so, we’ll all just be playing around on the different areas out at little moab. I imagine there will be a group or two who will want to split off and do rattlesnake and constrictor. I won’t be there, but you’re welcome to organize whatever you want after 11.

Law Enforcement:
On our last noob run, the local law enforcement knew we were having a big run. I think I heard of one ticket being issued, but that was before we met up. Part of being a responsible wheeler is obeying the laws. We will be obtaining the necessary permits from the BLM, and we will need the cooperation of everyone involved. Additionally, please make sure your rigs are street legal if they will be operated on public roads. I guarantee that if we get the turnout we did last time (58+ rigs), then they’ll be looking to make sure our mud flaps are in place, and our tires aren’t sticking out too far.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll be there Steve. Willing to help out wherever needed. I can help teach spotting, demonstrate wheeling techniques whatever anybody needs. I should have the new bumpers on the TJ and the D44 swapped in with a spool in the back(unless I can get the limited slip swapped back in) I'd be more than willing to allow a noob to spot me and the TJ through some stuff. Body damage means I have an excuse to spend more money.

I'll bring as much firewood as I can manage as well. I do plan on bringing the wife and my three year old. I might just flat tow the TJ so I can load up the truck with all our stuff and firewood. I really hope I can get the wife to actively try and learn something from this.

Nothing else that sticks out at the moment to be fixed. I am chatting with the wife though so it's hard to really concentrate.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks. I shuffled those times around a few times, and I got 'em mixed up. Let me know if you see any other typos.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
FWIW a good chunk of LM sits on SITLA land and they have their own entirely separate permit process (though much easier than BLM). Good chance they won't event require a permit but you should ask as you are recreating on their land.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
You misspelled my name, haha. I really can't wait for this. This will actually be my first wheeling trip with a locker and my first trip since August.

sixstringsteve

thanks Curt, you've been VERY helpful already.

FWIW a good chunk of LM sits on SITLA land and they have their own entirely separate permit process (though much easier than BLM). Good chance they won't event require a permit but you should ask as you are recreating on their land.

and thank you Kurt, I didn't know that. I'll get in touch with them tomorrow.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
This sounds AWESOME!! I am going to try and be there. I don't know if I will make Friday night but I am very interested in the instuctional courses on Saturday.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
If it's possible, can you add a section for trail etiquette?

With topics of:
Being responsible for their rig and keeping the flow of rigs moving.
Don't spend 30 mins on something while people are waiting.
When you break, if possible move the rig out of the way.
Keeping your rig on the trail.
Letting one spotter make the calls.

I would like to make this, but will have to see what the funds look like after Easter in Sand Hollow. And if I break anything lol

airmanwilliams

If it's possible, can you add a section for trail etiquette?

With topics of:
Being responsible for their rig and keeping the flow of rigs moving.
Don't spend 30 mins on something while people are waiting.
When you break, if possible move the rig out of the way.
Keeping your rig on the trail.
Letting one spotter make the calls.

I would like to make this, but will have to see what the funds look like after Easter in Sand Hollow. And if I break anything lol

chandler did you put this down because of the run up snake I went on with you? sure wish I could come, ive been waiting for another noob run to learn more but i have a trip planned to oregon to visit family. Good luck and I cant wait to see pics, hopefully people can take more pics since this is going to be during the day.

sixstringsteve

keep your fingers crossed, i should have a better idea from the BLM on Monday. Those permits aren't cheap. Let's hope we either don't need one, or they waive the fee and we do a cleanup.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
chandler did you put this down because of the run up snake I went on with you? sure wish I could come, ive been waiting for another noob run to learn more but i have a trip planned to oregon to visit family. Good luck and I cant wait to see pics, hopefully people can take more pics since this is going to be during the day.

No, it's been something that has been happening for awhile. Just things people may not realize. The person leading needs to know how to keep things moving, good communication with the group and tail gunners. Best time to learn is in the beginning. :)