Noobie here with a noob question

sparky

So I'm still pretty new to the rock crawling game so bear with me. I've got a yj that I switched out the axles not to long ago with a rear Dana 44 out of a 87 xj and Dana 44 front out of a 03 rubicon both locked with 4:10 gears. I've been running 33x12.50s with no problem but I'm getting the itch to upgrade. I found a really good deal on some 36x12.50 super swampers. So my question is am I just asking for trouble trying to run tires this big? I've talked to enough people running 35s no problem I'm curious if the extra inch is really that big of a deal. I'm thinking about getting both axles trussed first because chromolys are a little out of the budget for now. So if anyone has feedback if this is even possible or if I just need other upgrades first please let me know, thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The amount of trouble you get into is totally up to you.;) With a setup like this, it is usually up to the driver to decide what breaks!:p

Trusses would be a pretty good idea to help the axles live... the stock Jeep 44s are pretty prone to bending. The weight of the tires would concern me a little more than the extra height. Some swampers are known to be pretty heavy, so you might take that into consideration. Other than that, you'll probably want to be ginger with the throttle until you can upgrade (at least to chromos...)

TheJeepGuy

My opinion is you will be more than fine with 35's, I am running 37's and my dad is running 37's with Jeep 44's with no problems. I did do Chromolys up front after breaking a u-joint.
Just drive with skill instead of just mashing the gas pedal and they are fine.