Northern Utah first gen 4runner drivers!!!!!!!

Yota

I'm wanting to meet up with someone who has a first gen 4runner with the working back window. I replaced the relay that makes it go down, every function works except power window down, so I'm at a lost as to what could be the problem?? So if you have a fully functional back window I want to swap relays for a sec just to rule that out as a problem. Thanks to anyone who can help!!

leorn

reset
your top is on with all the bolts in, or the sensor is pushed right? Back when I used mine, I replaced the motor with a power window motor. Forget which side it was.

Mine probably doesn't work. The top hasn't been on in years...not to mention its a bit of a drive

Yota

Do you mean the switch inside the cab?
On 1st gen 4runners there's a relay behind the driver's side panel sort of near where the lower seat belt retractor is. I'm pretty sure mine is bad, I'm thinking about just buying a $80 wiring bypass kit from 12voltguy.com to bypass all the stupid stock safety switches.

ricsrx

I wish I lived closer, have a spare in the shop.....
you could install two relays for alot cheeper than $80.00......

Chevycrew

I might still have the wiring from mine.

I used 2 on-off-on toggle switches, and one momentary.

to go up:

switch one in the up position gives one wire to the motor a positive.
switch two in the up position gives the other wire a negative.
momentary switch provides power to switches 1 and 2 and makes the window go up.

to do down:

switch one in the down position gives one wire to the motor a positive.
switch two in the down position gives the other wire a negative.
momentary switch provides power to switches 1 and 2 and makes the window go down.

I could draw out a diagram if you wanted to try this way. But Im sure there are others on here who have a better way of wiring it.

The window motor is only a 2 wire, hooked up one way goes up, then reverse the polarity and the window goes down.

Yota

I think I know how you have it hooked up. I'm thinking about hooking up a 3 way switch, I replaced one of the 4 individual relays in that relay box which was supposed to be the up relay.
Everything works except window up.. the motor is good because I can hook power and ground up to it either way and roll the window up or down.