Northern Utah Northern Utah on 11/8

Maytag

Hey y'all:
My son wants to go wheelin for his first time this weekend, and I could use some ideas.
We need something realtively sane, but enough to give him a taste. He's got a 1st Gen Amigo with 2" lift and 32's, and I'll be taking either my ML430 or my Commander (both have a small lift and some tire). We live in the SLC area.

I was debating either 5-mile (I've never been, but I've read about it on this forum) or A/F canyon (I did this dozens of times in the 80's and 90's, but I'm hearing there might not be much open any more, particularly this time of year?)
I also remember doing what we called "Little Deer Creek", which took off from Cascade Springs and headed to the back of Deer Creek Reservoir. I've heard this is not open any longer?

Any other suggestions? or comments about either of these areas?

Anybody want to join us?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Head up to the B in Bountiful and run old ward canyon. It is open. If the gate at the top is still open after Old Ward, you can run up higher.

Maytag

Head up to the B in Bountiful and run old ward canyon. It is open. If the gate at the top is still open after Old Ward, you can run up higher.

That looks a little tame? Like a dirt-road the whole way? I've never been on it, so fill me in.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Old Ward Canyon is pretty fun. Some off camber, washouts, a bit of rock crawling up the canyon portion. I made it through with my Disco on stock tires and 2 inches of lift. But it was a lot easier when I went up with 32" tall tires.

There really isn't much rock crawling up North though.

blznnp

I'm gonna be out at five mile tonight and tomorrow. We are starting at the trail head at 9am. Your welcome to join up

Maytag

well... we went and found Old Ward Canyon Road today. had a good time. It was pretty busy, actually. several times we had to back up the trail to find a place for people to get past us from the other direction.
We took the boy's Amigo and the old Mercedes. Both are relatively stock (the Amigo has a 1" lift). Both were pretty-well tapped-out on this road; anything tougher and we'd have been turning-around (as many others were).
The boy loved it. It was a good introduction for him to wheelin'.
Thanks for the suggestion, Moab & Sawtooth!

Note the air under the real-wheel.

"Full Flex"