Novice/Beginner - I want to hit up some basic trails, but need a leader with patience

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
You sound like you'd be a blast to take wheeling, very good attitude about you. :D Hope somebody can hook up with you and get out there. :cool:

Man, I need to get out and do a trail! Been doin' lots of daily-driver-snow-wheelin' and some snowmobiling, so it's not like I have cabin fever, but the only trail time since last fall was 1/2 of the Maze at the crawlfest before I twisted my axlehousing/diff (huge thanks, btw, to Shawn for welding it back up!!!). Gotta put in a new clutch master cylinder this week, and replace the rear axle yoke...oh, and get the tires reseated on the rims.

Brett

GOOD JOB HELPING THE NOOBIE YOU GUYS

You sound like you'd be a blast to take wheeling, very good attitude about you. :D Hope somebody can hook up with you and get out there. :cool:
Agreed,... if he was out west here I would gladly offer him to run with us. I also think it is way cool of all you guy's to offer to help him out on some runs and teach him the ropes too. After all, we all started at the beginning.
kick_ass.gif

Thanks guys! I saw there was a few people going to Little Moab today... If I had seen that post a bit sooner I would have worked it out.

I've read a few 'driving offroad' books, but they just give theory, the theory I'm comfortable with, it's the real world experience that I need. A book can't explain what 35º side roll feels like.

How long before American Fork canyon is 'ready'? Is that a late spring early summer thing?

@Rholbrook: My parents live in Kaysville, on main just down from Davis high (south). And my lady's mom lives in Layton near swan lakes. We're normally in a Jeep compass, but I'm occasionally in my Vehicross as well.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
How long before American Fork canyon is 'ready'? Is that a late spring early summer thing?

Usually it opens for Memorial day give or take a little depending on snow. There's a few nice trails up there. It gets pretty crowded on the big weekends though.

You can check and see what trails are coming up and ask to join in. People are usually happy to have you join in.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This thread has my brain turning. How many users would be interested in a 'intro to 4-wheeling' class? Open to supporting RME members, one night in a class room, one day on the trail covering basics from driving techniques, spotting and recovery as well as a brief overview of the Tread Lightly program? We were all 'newbies' once and I think that sharing this info stands to benefit us all.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
This won't end well... :D

This thread has my brain turning.

My hat's off to the OP for having the guts to come on here and ask for help. I find it refreshing to see someone with such honesty, instead of the number of people who come on here after just getting their first rig, and are experts in every form of off roading.

If I ever get out on another trail :rolleyes:, you are more than welcome to tag along!

bronco165

DirtHedZ Offroad Club
Good Idea Kurt. Could the classroom part include Tread Lightly? I have been doing some sort of wheelin for about 40 years, but a course like this could benefit all that take advantage of it. Just as RME is a group of differing ideas, there is all way's something to learn from others experiences

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Good Idea Kurt. Could the classroom part include Tread Lightly? I have been doing some sort of wheelin for about 40 years, but a course like this could benefit all that take advantage of it. Just as RME is a group of differing ideas, there is all way's something to learn from others experiences

Absolutely... I think we could all stand to learn from each other. As it works out this is how much of the Tread Lightly class is organized, user's sharing their experiences and then troubleshooting solutions. Skylinerider and I hosted a campfire TL class last year at NPLD, we didn't have a big turnout and it was the first time we had given a class in that format but I think it was beneficial. The next one could be that much better.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
RESURRECTION...

Crazy year for me, Engaged, 2 new dogs and a baby :D

But now I'm ready to start hitting the trails. Vehicle is still in the same form it was before.

I have a friend who wants to do elephant hill in a month or so, and camp in the needles, but I've done Elephant hill as a passenger in a stock 4 runner. And it got my heart really racing... I need some EXPERIENCE!! When I watch a vehicle from outside, it doesn't even look close to tipping, yet when I'm inside I think we're going over :D

I need to learn that "Zen" of driving as Todd Adams put it.

If anyone is doing some day trails anytime soon, and you have the patience for a new tag-a-long I'd love to go :D

There's an Elephant Hill run scheduled in April mid-week but I'm down to go anytime.

For the class I'm in!

I recently finished up the RespectedAccess.org website for Treadlightly...

I'm a big outdoorsman so I'm all about Tread Lightly and conservation.

I know I could get a few more people for the class. How many people would you need to pull the trigger? I'd could start asking around and drumming up some attention. Depending on where it took place I could get it on a few City Calendars as well.

Please please keep me posted.

Thanks for the info on American Fork Canyon, I've done Forest Lake trail, and the rock garden but that's all.

I'm also an adventure bike rider, and have a ton of bike experience, and chose to go off on it most weekends last year, adding to my lack of wheeling. :D

Thanks everyone, great forum.

Richie

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
For the class I'm in!

I recently finished up the RespectedAccess.org website for Treadlightly...

I'm a big outdoorsman so I'm all about Tread Lightly and conservation.

I know I could get a few more people for the class. How many people would you need to pull the trigger? I'd could start asking around and drumming up some attention. Depending on where it took place I could get it on a few City Calendars as well.

Please please keep me posted.

Thanks for the info on American Fork Canyon, I've done Forest Lake trail, and the rock garden but that's all.

I'm also an adventure bike rider, and have a ton of bike experience, and chose to go off on it most weekends last year, adding to my lack of wheeling. :D

Thanks everyone, great forum.

Richie

Let me work out some details but we'll likely aim for something in the late summer. Several of us on RME are Tread Lightly Tread Trainers so tying it into a Tread Awareness class would be a natural fit. Stay tuned.

In the meantime if there are others that would be interested in such a class, please pipe up.

I look forward to the class... I'm going to go to some driving seminars at Overland Expo this year as well.

And here's a picture of my Rig from Fall of last year up in the sawtooths near Sun Valley.
vx_sawtooth_web.jpg