Wanted NP231 transfer case

MXJS

Hi i'm looking for a 21 spline NP231 transfer case. It will be used in a 1997 wrangler with a 4cyl/manual transmission. Post up if you have one or text me (eight zero one) 458-2403

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have a 21 spline NP231 that you can have for $100. If you can wait until next week, I'll bring it up from CO to Utah Valley and you can pick it up there. Let me know if that works for you.

MXJS

That sounds fantastic! Is there anything wrong with it? Can I get some pictures of it so i can make sure it will drop right in without modifying anything.

Greg

Admin
That sounds fantastic! Is there anything wrong with it? Can I get some pictures of it so i can make sure it will drop right in without modifying anything.

I haven't ran it, but the previous owner said it was working fine when pulled. Let me work on those pics, it's still bolted to the manual transmission it came with, so I'll unbolt it and take the pics so you can compare everything. Might be tomorrow on the pics?

MXJS

It appear that all 21 spline are short shafts, but the older ones have different gear cut and bearing width. That wouldn't matter if I was changing the whole transfer case though would it?

Greg

Admin
Here's what I have...

It's a 21 spline 231 from a '89 Jeep Cherokee with a 5 speed. It's missing 3 of the studs that mount it to the transmission.

I'm not up to date on the 231 differences, but as far as I know it should bolt up.

Let me know if that will work and I'll plan on hauling it up with me in a couple days.

PB200029.JPGPB200028.JPG

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It appear that all 21 spline are short shafts, but the older ones have different gear cut and bearing width. That wouldn't matter if I was changing the whole transfer case though would it?

Why wouldn't it matter? You still need the output shaft of the transmission to mate up to the input gear on the transfer case. Read the link I provided and decide for yourself, but I replaced my case last month and it mattered to find the correct input gear. Just trying to keep you from having to do it twice.

RockChucker

from what i gathered, there is only one version of the 21 spline input. but there are SEVERAL of the 23 from long to short and even a mid length. all MXJS needs to do is look at his and compare it to the pic Greg posted up. If the input is the same length, boom. Good to go.

MXJS

Thanks for the pics greg. I think black ZJ is correct. I've heard from a few sources that an older cherokee one won't work. Thanks anyways.