NPLD - 9/28/13 - Where will you be?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
National Public Lands Day is coming up in a just a few weeks. If your not already planning to be at one of the service projects planned throughout the state, you should! RME is hosting their annual clean up at 5MP and Little Moab with the BLM. There is no shortage of cleanup and stewardship need in both of those areas and the more bodies out there the better. Additionally several clubs are working with the Forest Service in American Fork Canyon to finish up the Forest City Cemetery and potentially other projects depending on turnout.

What are the other clubs up to? U4WDA? OHV groups?

Would love to hear about some of the other projects or where you are heading so we can all help promote them!

Why is NPLD more important then just cleaning up every time (as you should) you are out on the trail? Great question and the answer is two-fold. First, the projects planned often require far more man-power and resources to be efficient. I.e. in the case of the 5MP cleanup sponsored here on the forum, the BLM will have dumpsters on site to accept mass amounts of trash and large debris often found out in the desert, more than you can haul home generally. Second and more importantly in my opinion, the BLM, FS and often state and local officials are on-site with these projects and they get a first hand look at the stewardship we can and do provide. They get to see that we are not just adrenalin junkies driving over road closed signs and we surely are not rednecks tossing beer cans out the window. Rather, we are upstanding members of the community willing to give back to our public lands in a proactive effort to keep them clean, safe and open. I could go on and on but if there is a day to be out on the trails cleaning up... this is the one. Every 4x4, ATV & moto club in the state should participate in this event on some level in my opinion. It seems this year there is little backing on a state level and I'd like to see that change! So where will you be on Sept 28th?

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I will be out at either 5 mile or little Moab.

I offered extra credit to all my students to get out and help. I sent an email out to the other teachers to encourage them to do the same.

OLSEN

Where NPLD is tomorrow I should speak for the U4WDA Northern Division.
We will be repairing sections of a fence we built 5-6 years ago up Millville Canyon / Cache County.
This fence was built to keep cattle and motorized units out of fragile raparian areas, now our fish can breathe easier. :)
The current damage has been propagated by both motorized units and cattle, the biggest contributer to this damage however has been created by our own most excellent Mother Nature.
This project requires (and has assembled) a small faction from U4WDA as we will be working alongside again with the Cache Forest Service, the Bear River Watershed Coalition, and a local motorcycle group.
The North is alive and well!!

Olsen, L
U4WDA Board
4WD Enthusiast
Utah Public Lands Advocate