NV3500 transmission lube specs?

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I've got a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the 5speed manual - the NVG3500 or 3550 or whatever. My the owner's manual states I should fill the trans with "Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid". Nobody seems to know what exactly that is, and I don't really want to pay dealer prices for something I can get cheap at WalMart.

Anybody know what oil it should take? I want to run a quality full synthetic. I've also heard that some oils can damage the synchros in certain manual boxes.

Thanks

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Do a google search. I know with the AX15 you're supposed to run synthetic gear lube or motor oil. One expert recommends Red Line. I have also heard the same about the the NVG3500. There should be some info on line about it.

78mitsu

I've got a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the 5speed manual - the NVG3500 or 3550 or whatever. My the owner's manual states I should fill the trans with "Mopar Manual Transmission Fluid". Nobody seems to know what exactly that is, and I don't really want to pay dealer prices for something I can get cheap at WalMart.

Anybody know what oil it should take? I want to run a quality full synthetic. I've also heard that some oils can damage the synchros in certain manual boxes.

Thanks

the 3550 uses a 30 wt non foaming gear oil. Mopar part no: 4874464 (22.00/qt) or redline mtl (11.49/qt)

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Yes, that's what I was told for the AX-15 as well. The 30W non-foaming geal oil is basicly non-detergent 30W motor oil I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. However, I would go with the Redline MTL!