OBA using the stock A/C pump

i got tired of trying to track down a serp belt york, so i said why not just use the stock A/C pump on my jeep. keep in mind my 4.0 motor is from an XJ so i have the stock pump. i added a piece of 1'' sch40 pipe to my suction side, i put some foam in it along with a heavy screen mesh towards the front. i then put some A/C oil on the foam so as it draws in air it will take a little oil along with it. i then cut the tube off the dischard, welded a 1/4 air nipple to it and feed it thru a 3/8 line to my manifold.

im not going to run a big tank, i dont think theres enough volume to feed one. so i figure i just need a place to tie in a gage, air line and a 125 blow off valve. i still have to mount the tank/manifold but i tried it and it can pump my 39's from flat to 25 psi in under a minute. the pump got a little hot, but i let it run for over ten minutes and it did'nt seaze, the pressure would clime up to 125psi and the blow off valve would let go. i wll just add a little splash of oil to the suction from time to time. its a little getho but it works and total cost was under 25.00's for the gage blow off valve and line, jason.

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Image011.jpg
    Image011.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Image012.jpg
    Image012.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
R

rockdog

Jason, add a cheap hf air tool oiler to the suction side then it will oil itself. Hell I'd give you the one I pulled off my toy compressor if you didn't live clear across the country. If you've got room add a tank. I did with mine and we ran air tools with it on the trail for repair work. On board air is awesome. You'll love it.:D

ya i will clean it up with a inline oiler, i just need somthing for the weekend. i dont have bead locks for the 39's and i kept loosing my beads. did you use the stock pump rockdog, is there enough volume for a larger tank? this is just for filling tire's, i will get more into it later, jason.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hmmm.... I think I've got an air regulator kicking around somewhere. I've got an AC compressor on my TBI 350 that's just a pulley at the moment. Probably worth trying for a while?

Hmmm.... I think I've got an air regulator kicking around somewhere. I've got an AC compressor on my TBI 350 that's just a pulley at the moment. Probably worth trying for a while?

this was my thought to, i said why go thru the fabbing a new mount, getting a pully for my york or trying to track down a serp york when i have a pump sitting there. so i added a little oil ran a simple toggle switch and turned it on. i was very pleased with the amount of air coming out and said ok now i will build some parts for it. a few days later and im filling my tires, if it can do just that ( fill my tires ) then i am 100% satisfied. i will get jiggy with it later, i just need OBA for paragon next week, jason.

R

rockdog

ya i will clean it up with a inline oiler, i just need somthing for the weekend. i dont have bead locks for the 39's and i kept loosing my beads. did you use the stock pump rockdog, is there enough volume for a larger tank? this is just for filling tire's, i will get more into it later, jason.
Stock toy pump. Those little babys pump more air than most people realise. I just went to a local siding contractor and got a little hot dog compressor tank for free. They go thru a lot of them running em non stop. It's cheaper for em to just buy new ones than rebuild the old ones. So they usually have toasted ones kicking around.
Only reason I'm changing it, is because I put a 5.0 in my toy and a york fit perfect where the factory ac compressor was. Found a brand new serp york on ebay for $140.00:D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been using my stock pump (Sanden) for years now and it works great. I only us it for tire air, so I don't have a tank or a pressure valve. I just use an open air chuck and a switch to turn the compressor on and off.

I don't oil it very often either... only after heavy use. :D