OBD II not syncing

kyojin

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9

I went to do emissions/safety today and they said they couldn't get my OBD II to sync up with their scanner. So I failed emissions. I haven't done anything electrical on it. Any ideas what it could be?

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
retarded user at the shop?

go over to Autozone and see if they can read the codes on your ride with their code reader.. if they can I would say that it is probably not the fault of your OBDII

Bucking Bronco

I had my fuse blow in my Expedition for the cig lighter power outlet thingy and it was the same power source for my OBD and it would cause my scanner not to read anything.

chans

Have you disconnected your battery within the last 150 miles? They won't sync if you disconnected the battery to clear codes.

kyojin

I was using my power outlet yesterday and not sure if it is tied to the OBD II or not. I can check. I haven't disconnected the battery recently. I'm hoping it was just a glitch and will take it in to checker to see if their scanner tool works with it.

04blacktitanle

It'll still sync even if you unplugged the battery. Do what was said above, go down to an autozone or checker and see if they can connect with their obd2 scan tool. If it doesn't connect it could be a problem with them PCM itself or maybe its a fuse that powers the obd2 port. But I think the obd2 port is powered directly by the PCM.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Bad fuse, the top right pin of the trapazoid should have power on the connector

04blacktitanle

No it will still sync with a scan tool after you've unplugged and plugged the battery back in. How else would you diagnose a check engine light or get data from the computer? If you clear your codes with a scan tool or unplug the battery long enough to reset the codes, when you take it in for IM it will still sync, but fail emissions because of all the readiness tests are still not complete.

That port just isn't for the emissions testing computer. But if you do keep the batt unplugged enough you will have to drive it around for a few days to let all the readiness tests complete. I think on a 1998 you can have up to 2 not readys.

No check engine light+all but 2 readiness tests complete and you'll pass emissions. For a 1998 year.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
No it won't. It does that on purpose to keep you from clearing the code before taking it in for IM.

You're saying the scanner won't even know it's hooked to a car if your battery has been disconnected within 150 miles? :rofl: it'll just report not ready.

chans

No it will still sync with a scan tool after you've unplugged and plugged the battery back in. How else would you diagnose a check engine light or get data from the computer? If you clear your codes with a scan tool or unplug the battery long enough to reset the codes, when you take it in for IM it will still sync, but fail emissions because of all the readiness tests are still not complete.

That port just isn't for the emissions testing computer. But if you do keep the batt unplugged enough you will have to drive it around for a few days to let all the readiness tests complete. I think on a 1998 you can have up to 2 not readys.

No check engine light+all but 2 readiness tests complete and you'll pass emissions. For a 1998 year.

Exactly, this is the point I was trying to make but did do a good job on getting it across like you did. I shouldn't have said "sync"

chans

You're saying the scanner won't even know it's hooked to a car if your battery has been disconnected within 150 miles? :rofl: it'll just report not ready.

No that is not what I'm saying. I guess I wasn' t clear. If you recently reset the computer by unpluging it the IM machine can tell and you fail automatically. Of course a code scanner will still read the computer anyways. So I was just checking to make sure the IM guys didn't pass him for that reason. Back to the original problem if the scan tool does not work as well try some compressed air on the connector since I had problem with it syncing because of dust in my Jeep.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Checked the top right fuse by the passenger seat and it was still good. I'll take it in to checker today and see if their tool will sync with it.

You need to check all the fuses. But the pin on the obd2 connector should have key on power, but I went out and doubled checked and its the bottom right of the trapazoid plug the skinnier side. I have this happen once a week or so.

kyojin

Hooked it up to the scanner at Checker and theirs read it fine. Went back to Jiffy Lube to test it and it still wouldn't connect. I guess I can go to the department of health and they will try. If it won't connect then they just do the sniffer test. At least thats what Jiffy Lube said.