Odometer fraud

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So I am having trouble interpreting the odometer fraud law. It says its a 3rd degree felony to have switched out the odometer on a vehicle then sell it without telling the new buyer. However it also says there are exceptions if the car is 10 years old or older. So if the car is mileage exempt because its older than 10 years, is it ok to switch it out and not tell the new owner?

http://dmv.utah.gov/buyingodometerfraud.html

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
On the back of the title it has 3 check boxes something like accurate to the best of my knowledge, beyond limits/not exact milage, and exempt. If you're swapping it out tell the new owner that it had x number of miles when you swapped it and check the not exact milage box.

If it isn't exact milage and you know it, I would avoid the felony.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Don't do it, they're not gonna give you better than low book for that '75 Pinto. :D

heh

I found these passages to be illuminating:

If the odometer needs to be repaired or replaced, the disclosure statement should read:

The odometer was repaired or replaced and that the present reading is identical to the reading before the repair, or,
The odometer was repaired or replaced, and because it was incapable of registering the same mileage as before, it was reset to zero.

If the odometer is repaired or replaced and then reset to zero, the disclosure statement must specify the mileage on the vehicle before the reading was altered. A notice in writing, on a form available from MVED, specifying both the date the odometer was repaired or replaced and the mileage on the vehicle before this occurred, must be permanently affixed to the left door frame of the vehicle.

Are there any exceptions to the odometer mileage disclosure statement rule?

Odometer mileage disclosure statements do not need to be given for vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,000 pounds or more, vehicles 10 years old or older, or vehicles sold directly by the manufacturer to any agency of the United States Government (41-1a-902).

Sounds to me like there is no requirement to have an accurate odometer reading, disclosed or not, on an 10yr-old+ car. That said, I'd probably tell them anyway-- "hey, this is not the original odometer, car had x on it before I swapped it for X reason".

lewis

Fight Till You Die
So I guess I worded it wrong. It happened to me, not me doing it to someone. Trying to see if I can screw the dude that screwed me.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I can prove that he changed it a month before I bought the car however I can't prove that he didn't tell me. I should have saved the ksl add. I talked to an attorney and they said I would need that proof. Fortunately he left the plates on the car so I think the best I can do is go get a few parking tickets for him and then a warrant will eventually be put out for him for unpaid tickets. He also left the sale date on the title blank so I can enter it after. Can't think of any way else to get back at him.

sixb

Will work for beer!
Fortunately he left the plates on the car so I think the best I can do is go get a few parking tickets for him and then a warrant will eventually be put out for him for unpaid tickets. He also left the sale date on the title blank so I can enter it after. Can't think of any way else to get back at him.

:confused:
2 wrongs don't make a right comes to mind here.

rollover

If you know the dates of the KSL ad KSL would most likely be able to pull it from archived files for you.
Just a thought.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you know the dates of the KSL ad KSL would most likely be able to pull it from archived files for you.
Just a thought.

google cache might be a possibility as well.

Do a search on google using
site:ksl.com [keywords that would be in the ad]

then see if there's a cached version of it.