odyssey vs optima

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
so my red top is dead again in my crawler, its sits in one spot now i go and try and start it every couple weeks. i have recovered the optima multiple times its 5 years old and has had a hard life. so i think its time for a new one.

i have been looking at the odyssey batteries and found the 65-pc1750 its a very very powerfull battery and i have found it for 250 shipped.

also been looking at a optima yellow top i can get it for 200 at autozone which is kinda nice, but i want something that if my truck breaks and cant run i can use my winch still for a while.

im leaning towards the odyssey because service life says 6-8years and it has enough power to run a ready welder to full potential with only one battery.

just wondering what the opinion is.

also my truck i have checked it for a draw there are no draws in the system, im thinking the cold and old battery are just killing my optima.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've had no luck with Orbital's, not sure about the others. I have owned 4 Orbitals and every single one of them died. One of them shit the bed less than 6 months after I bought it. They're junk... I'd look elsewhere.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
looked on pirate and saw about the same from alot of people. i really dont want to sink 300 in a battery and have it take a crap i think i will just look into a dual battery set up with two yellows. down the road and just run a yellow for now.

also i want side post set up since thats is how my winch is wired to the battery and the odyssey does not have that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've had really good luck with my Odyssey batteries, but then again I've been lucky with my Optimas too. Odd there seems to be such a hit and miss experience with batteries be it Optima, Orbital, Odyssey, or the Sears Die Hard Platinum which is a rebadged Odyssey albeit limited size selection compared to Odyssey badged batteries. There had been some theory of lower quality or seconds being sold at places like Costco or Walmart hence the perceived quality differences? The metal jacket Odyssey bats I run in my Tacoma have really impressed me, there smaller size allowed me to put two in the stock single location yet a single starts fine and will run my fridge for several days without firing my low bat system.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Ive always had good luck with my Red Top Optimas, that said I have read many who dont like them, I run them in 4 different vehicles without any issue ever. hope I didnt just Jinx myself.

Caleb

I've always had best luck with Optimas. I agree with Greg, skip the Orbitals, all the ones I've had, have shit the bed in WAY less than 6 months. My current Red Top is about to kick the bucket, but it is old. I think I'm going to try the Odyssey for my next battery just to try one.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have had an orbital in my TJ for 3 years now without a single problem......but I don't have a winch and have not had to put a serious strain on it like that.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
ya i have no regrets on this battery, its 5 years old had the lights left on in the jetta that it was in for a week at the airport and run down a couple more times from sitting in my yota. its been very good. im just looking for something with a little more longjevity if i have to winch with out the alternator working.

here is the odyssey sight im looking at the 65-pc1750 at the bottom of the page impressive numbers for sure.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/autospecs.html

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I run the walmart top of the line and have had it in my jeep for going on 4 yrs now... it only cost me $65 at the time... I am about to put a second on in the jeep and hook only the winch to it... for $65 a pop I can handle getting a new one every 3-4 yrs.

My boss swears by the sears platinum batteries and has us get them every time our vans need a new battery... I have run those down to almost nothing with inverters and stereos being left on... and they always seem to come back to life... they are $100 a pop...

anyway my .02 cents worth...

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
ok i have been doing some reading and found my new battery i think im going to go look at them tomorrow. there a deka intimidator agm which is sold by batterys plus as a x2. there is a batterys plus around the corner from me they are at the same level as a yellow top optima and only cost 140 and have high praises from the guys on pirate.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
autozone here in layton has them for 150 which is very cheap for a spiral cell. im going to hit up batteries plus tomorrow and see what they have.