Off-grid solar homes?

Caleb

So I'm looking to redo the "solar system" at my cabin. By that I mean I'm going to put in a real solar system and get rid of the 35W trickle charger the previous owner called a solar system. Anyone have any experience in installing (or designing) an off-grid solar system? I've been looking around at kits and found "The Adventurist" kit on http://solarhome.com/Products/offgrid-hyper-x--solar-kits.html. Seems like it has legit components and room to grow if I needed to in the future. I then thought about piecing something similar together myself but not sure if that will really save me any money.

So, anyone with any advice? :D

ID Bronco

I forget the name but there is a really good solar company in Rigby Idaho that is pretty well known ( I realize that's funny since I can't remember the name). Maybe check with them.

Caleb

Thanks, I'll look them up.

1/4elliptic - Right now my power needs are pretty small. Our entire cabin only has a dozen or so lights, a water pump, a small microwave and that's about it. I have the current little panel that feeds a bank of 8 deep cycle batteries. I have a couple generators I use when needed. Once I get my power squared away, I plan to add a TV, satellite receiver, small wireless setup, etc. Still not much in terms of power requirements. I don't have the option of being grid-tied...at least not without paying a lot to have power brought up the canyon. I plan to replace the 8 batteries I have now with some real batteries instead of the deep cell automotive batteries that are there now.

sixstringsteve

Corban is my go to guy for solar stuff. We'really about to install 600w of solar on our Airstream soon. Can't wait.

Corban_White

Off grid solar is actually pretty easy. You size the panels by how big your battery bank is. (I like to make sure that one good day of sun in the winter will completely charge the batteries), you size the charge controller(s) based on the wattage of the panels, and you size the battery bank based on convenience (if you are running out of power before it gets sunny again-either because it's night or because its been stormy for several days-add some batteries). It is really easy to add capacity as you add load. Panels and batteries are usually wired in parallel. With a lot of watts you can use multiple charge controllers or one big one. Check the manufacturers instructions here as different charge controllers have different needs. Then if you want A/C power you will need an inverter. Go pure sine and size it for the maximum load you will need to run at once. I can recommend a couple models depending on your needs. This isn't really scalable so get the big one or plan to upgrade as your load goes up. lots of debate on types of batteries. We use flooded golf cart batteries (this requires series/parallel wiring since they are 6 volt-not a big deal, just something to be aware of) at all of our sites as this has given us the best cost benefit. However, if the batteries are inside you will want sealed/agm (not non spillable, but truly sealed). Get name brand stuff with good reviews and you should be very happy. Let me know if you have any questions-I'm happy to help.

Caleb

Thanks Corban. I'll definitely be hitting you up. I hope to start with a larger inverter up front that I can grow in to as my need grows. I don't think it will be too large though, I've been think around a 3K-4K would be more than I would ever need. A 2K would probably be large enough intact but I'd hate to spend the money on a 2K and end-up needing 2.5K. :)

Caleb

Just a quick follow-up on this thread (yeah, almost a year later :p). I made the decision to go with this system, https://www.solar-electric.com/outback-power-off-grid-kit-1620-watts.html and finally got it all squared away today. Unfortunately the inverter/charge controller/etc thing (Flexpower One) didn't come with any manuals. So I was trying to figure stuff out without them so it took bit longer than expected to get it fully up and running. I'm happy with it though and even happier that I'm up and making power now.

Next project for next season is going to be hooking up a hydro turbine. I just want to go with a real small one to supplement the solar. If anyone has any experience with hydro, speak up. Find info on them is even harder than finding info on wind and solar (solar is quite easy to find lots of info on).

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Sounds great. We started to put in solar at our house and wanted it off grid. It was about $35 k off grid and $25 k on grid so we put in a 24 KW gas/propane emergency generator for about $ 9 k with installation. We still have to put in the propane tank, another $ 250 plus fuel cost about $ 2.00/gal for 100 gal. We have used it twice and it worked automatically as advertised. Since yours is in you will have to keep us posted.

Caleb

I've owned this cabin for a little over a year now and I've been entirely off-grid with a small (real small) solar setup, generators, and propane. I expect this solar setup will eliminate the need for my generators. My propane handles the large load items (fridge and stove).

Fwiw, call Freeway Propane about filling your propane. I just had them fill my 120gal tank at my cabin two-three weeks ago and paid $1.09 a gallon.

Caleb

I don't. I have an in-ground tank for water that's up the mountain a short ways so I get pressure from the elevation and I also use a Shurflo pump to keep the lines pressurized. Right now it's a 12V pump, but now that I have the solar system generating power, I'll be switching it over to a 120V Shurflo pump.

gcb17

I don't. I have an in-ground tank for water that's up the mountain a short ways so I get pressure from the elevation and I also use a Shurflo pump to keep the lines pressurized. Right now it's a 12V pump, but now that I have the solar system generating power, I'll be switching it over to a 120V Shurflo pump.

Do you haul in water or is it filled naturally?

Caleb

I haul it in. In ground is a 1000 gal tank, I then have a 200 gallon tank that I use to fill it. We have water rights so we have access to a well about a mile from our cabin we use to fill it.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
as far as the hydro turbine... you can take an alternator and mount it so that its inline with the water wheel so as the water passes over the wheel and turns it the wheel turns the alternator producing your 12v dc to charge batteries as well.

Caleb

as far as the hydro turbine... you can take an alternator and mount it so that its inline with the water wheel so as the water passes over the wheel and turns it the wheel turns the alternator producing your 12v dc to charge batteries as well.

My battery bank is 24v.

That’s pretty cool. I’m not too worried about the cost of doing the hydro, it’s more figuring out the right size for everything (flow, head, etc) so that I can correctly size the pipe, pickup, and get the correct nozzles and wheel.