Off-Road Camp Trailer Build (version: overkill)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
This is a build for a good co-worker friend of mine. He watched one too many videos about these campers and we got talking about how we could probably make one for small fraction of the price, and make it stronger too.

This thing is super overkill for what it is but I wanted it to be strong and able to hold a RTT and other gear (canoe or large kayaks and last a long time. I started with DOM (I had on hand) but realized that was dumb and expensive so when I get around to building mine it will be be normal HREW .120 for the main A-B structure.

Lower frame rails are 2x4 .120.

This one is going to be 11' long and 6' wide. I told him that's pretty big for a small offroad camper, but that's what he wants and the main tow rig for it is an F150 so it will actually fit that form factor really well... not to mention he's not really an off-roader but loves the idea of getting a camper into places where bigger ones can't. I have my pieces cut and off to the side in the shop that will be around 7' long and 5' wide to closer match the Project Taco-Cart

I've been done with my work on it since last November as I finished up the metal work and he drove it home to finish it up. So that said, this will mostly be photos with a few comments in between. I'm happy to answer questions and field criticism as needed. :D

2x4 .120 frame rails
EEJ3.jpg

Got them redneck square
EuH6.jpg

Tiny home begins to appear
ELt9.jpg

EObU.jpg

Ebxg.jpg

EgXC.jpg

Eh7D.jpg

The axle he ordered ended up being too wide so we chopped it down to the width we needed.
Eryu.jpg

E9fX.jpg

EJAe.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Good work, that'll end up being a sweet trailer. It'll be interesting to see how the cost compares with what's already available.
Well, since all the similar commercial options I've seen cost more than a 30ft toy hauler, I'd assume it would be pretty hard to not beat them by at least 75%. Seriously, I don't think there is a commercial equivalent for under $25k.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
So what do you "wrap" the whole thing with? Aluminum?
Yes. He's going to use aluminum on the outside unless he changes his mind and uses a different material.
He could just stain those and that would be a really cool look. Have to find a way to waterproof the seams though.
When I do mine I am considering keeping the naked look with some kind of protecting stain. There's all kinds of interesting rv and roofing sealants that should work, but you'd have to check them often and maintain it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
There's all kinds of interesting rv and roofing sealants that should work
That'll stick to both the wood and the metal tube and stay stuck as they expand and contract at different rates? I'm thinking you'd be resealing a lot more than you want.

Lemme know if it works though because it'd be a lot simpler than all that aluminum work and I think it'd look great!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yes. He's going to use aluminum on the outside unless he changes his mind and uses a different material.

When I do mine I am considering keeping the naked look with some kind of protecting stain. There's all kinds of interesting rv and roofing sealants that should work, but you'd have to check them often and maintain it.
I love the idea but I would be concerned about leaks with that many seams. I guess we'll see what he does first

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Few more pics came through my phone the other day. He's getting the back side setup pretty nicely. He went with a prefab door to help keep things sealed up better and dry... which I think was a smart move.

meZr.jpg

mwsS.jpg

He's also got the back kitchen / storage area going. I'm loving this quite a bit

mv4H.jpg

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
More progress on this metal wagon.

This was by far the most difficult part. We ended up with 4 people to put the fiberglass roof and sides on. The glue was crazy, once it sticks it doesn't come back off. Hardcore stuff.

Ob3X.jpg

Once on, a multitool makes quick cleanup of the edges.
Ogh7.jpg

Sides put on:
OhSn.jpg

That was as much as I helped again. The rest are photos from his progress again. I think it's turning out awesome!

Doorway cut back open and lower aluminum added:
O9mK.jpg

He had another guy he knows do some aluminum trim work which is gonna get powdercoated black. I think it it's gonna look great!
OinM.jpg

OkWz.jpg

Got these last two photos this week. Front ports for portable AC/Heat
Olk8.jpg

Sideview with side doors installed. Love it. Looks like we may need to add a little more height on the springs after the extra weight but that's no problem.
Oy3r.jpg