Off-Road Preparedness

utahluge

Finally Got My Truck!!
So, I found a list a while back of what you should have with you before hitting the trails. Sadly, I can't seem to find that list. I think it may have been on pirate4x4 but I am coming up empty handed. I was thinking that we could all give our input on what we each take, or should take.

Ready, set, go! :)

Air Guage
Engine Belt(s)
First Aid Kit
Full-Size Spare
Fuses
Hi-Lift Jack
Hose Clamps
Jumper Cables
Repair Manual For Your Vehicle
Snacks/Food
Spill Control Kit (Small Bucket Kitty Litter)
Tire Repair Kit
Tool Kit (could be greatly expanded??)
Tow Strap With Loops
Vehicle Fluids (Oil, Trans, Coolant, etc)
Drinking Water
Work Gloves

LT.

I think I remember reading this some on this site as well. Weather conditions or time of year change what you need to bring with you. Some of the things I carry are: Every size socket for 3/8 and 1/2 with a few extentions, open end, box end wrenches, High lift jack, full sized spare, tire plugs, water, oil, power steering fluid, tranny fluid, food, and most importantly friends. There always seems to be times when you may have some of what you need but, not everything you need. Friends may have what is needed or more importantly, have a working rig and better ideas than you may have had. This has proved to be the most important thing I have ever had along.

LT.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Shovel and axe are high on my list, especially in the winter.

x2!! You never know when you will be miles down a road and need to chop thru a downed tree in order to continue.

663191593_aEbMW-M.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
x2!! You never know when you will be miles down a road and need to chop thru a downed tree in order to continue.

663191593_aEbMW-M.jpg

If you wouldn't have chopped down that tree in the first place it would be easier.:rolleyes:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Greg only posed for the photo... He never even swung the axe.. After the photo, he winched it... ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Did you guys think that the tree is probably still somewhat attached at the base and is long enough to be in between other trees, making a pull not a good first choice?

Back on topic - Along with tools & water, I like carry a tarp (very easy to fold up and stow away) and rain jackets. It's nice to stay somewhat dry if you ever need to make camp or fix a rig in bad weather.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
My rig prep sheets are a full page for each vehicle, two pages on multi-day trips. Each is specific to my personal needs, the dog, type of trails, etc. While its a bit obsessive I rarely forget to bring too many things :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Didn't realize I was going to hijack the thread with such a controversial picture... :ugh:

If you wouldn't have chopped down that tree in the first place it would be easier.:rolleyes:

Exactly! :rofl:

curious why you are chopping up the tree when you have a winch? you could have just winched it off the road, seems easier?

Herzog hit the nail on the head... it was still partially rooted on the bottom and the top had fallen between 2 close trees. I tired to budge it, but it wasn't going to move out of the way while staying in one piece. Cutting in it into bits was the best option. I did end up winching the part of the tree that was blocking the road.

Did you guys think that the tree is probably still somewhat attached at the base and is long enough to be in between other trees, making a pull not a good first choice...

I prefer my bow saw.. will get the Job done but doesn't take up as much room http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorg...l?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=GER0076&mv_pc=r126

and you don't have to worry about the missed swing that makes the first aid kit come out of the Jeep :)

The axe is more for splitting firewood around camp, I also have a saw and started to use it on the downed Aspen, but the axe was easier.

I swing a spike maul for a living... hitting a 18" round tree with an axe isn't a problem for me. ;)