Officer Barney

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I may be alone here but I thought I'd throw this out to see what every one else thinks. I watched some of his funeral and was amazed at how large this has become. I respect anyone who loses their life in serving others. What bothers me is the last couple of police funerals and everything that goes on with them. Not because I hate the police, I respect that they have a hated difficult job. But, they are not the only people who serve day in and day out in dangerous and difficult occupations. They are not the only people who are killed at work.

It just rubs me wrong that I have known really good people who have been killed in their profession, their children have no father and they got no recognition. They worked in industries that are critical to the survival of the general public just like police work.

Like I said, I respect Officer Barney and think he must have been a wonder man to have so many speak so kindly of him. But we have elevated police to a position higher than any other person short of a celebrity when it comes to morning their loss. It is hurtful to the countless other people who pay the ultimate sacrifice so we can have heat or electricity or roads or food.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I think it's big because the law enforcement community chooses to make it big. That is how they show respect to the person who has passed. They seem to really care about their own. Now let's say an electrician is killed while troubleshooting a power outage. I think it is sad for fellow electricians to hear about it, but do they care enough for their own to jump on a plane and travel across the country to be at the funeral? The same could be said about your other examples.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think we need to consider that he wasn't just killed in an accident at a high risk job, like being shocked by a power line. He was shot in the head by a thug. There would be quite the news story and man hunt involved if a line-man was shot in the head while setting a power pole. So it's not quite 6's.

However, when was the last time fire engines draped a flag for a fallen Utah soldier, or a security guard killed by inmates, or a child who was raped and murdered.
Law enforcement are not the only ones who serve the flag. They are not super hero's. They are often in the wrong. There are many double standards involved in police work/attitudes/rules.
How many officers were on the clock, and how much tax payer money went into the funeral costs of all the vehicles, fuel, time, etc??

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
How many officers were on the clock, and how much tax payer money went into the funeral costs of all the vehicles, fuel, time, etc??

For the record we weren't on the clock we went on our own time to show respect. If you want come over to my house i'll give you $5 for the gas I used. I was on my own time, I think the $5 in gas I used is a small payment for the 16 years in one uniform or another i've sacrificed defending this country and community.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I somewhat agree. It was more than just an accident. But they did conduct a man hunt, they killed the guy as soon as they found him.

However, he didn't die doing some heroic act like running into gun fire to save innocent people like say Chris Mintz. That was not the case, he was cowardly shot without a chance to react. Had he gone into a burning building or some other act above his normal duties, I would agree with the hero's funeral. I look at his death as more of a hazard of the profession he chose. He is exposed to that type of threat. That's not to say a lineman is expose to the same threats as a police officer, they are just different and unique to the profession.

As for "respecting their own", I agree electricians would not show up on droves across the country for a fallen comrade, mostly because their employers wouldn't pay for it like police departments do. Not to say all the officers were being paid yesterday but a large chunk of the cost was footed by the tax payers.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rholbrook

I have mixed feelings here. This is not a job I would want to do. I have two nephew-in-laws and several friends that are police officers and they have been shot at many times, even in places like quiet little Syracuse. Yes they choose their professions, yes they know its dangerous but they are out there protecting me and my family. My one NIL had been partners with Barney a month or so ago and he has not taken this very lightly. There are so many wackos out there. I think if people want to make a big deal out of it then so be it. I think a big deal ought to be made out of our military too. Its because of these people at home and abroad that we don't have to make witnessing violence an every day occurrence. I would never want my children or grandchildren to become numb to the fact that its okay to steal or worse kill someone.

An electrician can at least turn the power off and should before he works on his potentially dangerous job. A police officer has no idea what he is going to face when he pulls over a car. Not the same.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think the $5 in gas I used is a small payment for the 16 years in one uniform or another i've sacrificed defending this country and community.

It was not my intent to offend, apologies if I did.

However, I think this is kind of the point of the original post. You, as an officer, are not the only one who has given a life of service to the country or community. MANY MANY people spend their days doing the same (doctors, teachers, etc) but they don't get a car and free gas. They don't get a hero's funeral. They are largely ignored. Serving as an officer doesn't elevate a person above the average citizen.

I've got a number of friends that are officers in Salt lake and Utah Counties, and many friends and family in military, so I am a huge supporter of police/military. But there are many painfully wrong issues with the system, and the politics and actions of many. Being vocal about the issues is not an attack on individuals, but a call for change where needed.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have mixed feelings here. This is not a job I would want to do. I have two nephew-in-laws and several friends that are police officers and they have been shot at many times, even in places like quiet little Syracuse. Yes they choose their professions, yes they know its dangerous but they are out there protecting me and my family. My one NIL had been partners with Barney a month or so ago and he has not taken this very lightly. There are so many wackos out there. I think if people want to make a big deal out of it then so be it. I think a big deal ought to be made out of our military too. Its because of these people at home and abroad that we don't have to make witnessing violence an every day occurrence. I would never want my children or grandchildren to become numb to the fact that its okay to steal or worse kill someone.

An electrician can at least turn the power off and should before he works on his potentially dangerous job. A police officer has no idea what he is going to face when he pulls over a car. Not the same.

Similar thoughts here. Those guys (police, firemen, civil servants, military, etc) are doing jobs I don't personally want to do. I have a SURPRISING amount of friends in law enforcement and have a decent understanding of how their loved ones feel every time they walk out the door. They (like all of us) might not come home after that shift. Are there annoying/corrupt officers, I'm sure. Are most just doing the job, yes. It's a tough job without a lot of tangible rewards. I for one am glad they are out doing their work.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I somewhat agree. It was more than just an accident. But they did conduct a man hunt, they killed the guy as soon as they found him.

However, he didn't die doing some heroic act like running into gun fire to save innocent people like say Chris Mintz. That was not the case, he was cowardly shot without a chance to react. Had he gone into a burning building or some other act above his normal duties, I would agree with the hero's funeral. I look at his death as more of a hazard of the profession he chose. He is exposed to that type of threat. That's not to say a lineman is expose to the same threats as a police officer, they are just different and unique to the profession.

Killed the guy as soon as they found him ehh...... you're basing this off of your arm chair detective work? and working with the most reliable evidence in the world provided by the local news media? Good, I'm glad to know my three surviving co-workers just executed this guy and weren't in a gun fight for their lives. Why don't you go over to their house and explain your findings. I'm sure SLCPD will be happy to have your report submitted.

Also glad to know trying to stop a person clearly willing to take another persons life isn't a heroic act. I'm sure the family whose driveway he was murdered in will be glad to know his non-heroic actions possibly stopped this murderer from breaking into their house which was full of children attending a birthday party may/or may not have saved their lives.

You wonder why every Police agency in the state can't hire enough officers to fill their ranks anymore. If the awesome pay, awesome retirement, awesome hours, and awesome days off aren't enough for you, the awesome opinion of the people you are trying to protect surely would convince me.

I had about page typed up for your initial comment, but restrained myself and deleted it. But the second round of ignorance about what actually happened couldn't be ignored by me

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
It was not my intent to offend, apologies if I did.

However, I think this is kind of the point of the original post. You, as an officer, are not the only one who has given a life of service to the country or community. MANY MANY people spend their days doing the same (doctors, teachers, etc) but they don't get a car and free gas. They don't get a hero's funeral. They are largely ignored. Serving as an officer doesn't elevate a person above the average citizen.

I've got a number of friends that are officers in Salt lake and Utah Counties, and many friends and family in military, so I am a huge supporter of police/military. But there are many painfully wrong issues with the system, and the politics and actions of many. Being vocal about the issues is not an attack on individuals, but a call for change where needed.

Not going to disagree with you, I wish every fallen soldier or teacher who died protecting their students from an active shooter could have the same memorial. But comparing an officer murdered in the line of duty to someone killed in an industrial accident is quite different to me, but that's just my opinion.

As far as the car and free gas? Well you can have my car I wish it wasn't at my house, in this day and age I feel it makes my house a target and puts my family at risk. Free gas, well I need gas to drive my car for work and I need my car for work. Does your company pay for the gas that heats the building you work in? Pay for the electricity to be on? Just because I have a car, and the department puts gas in it doesn't make it any different than the office you may or may not work in. Yes some officers drive their cars off-duty and don't have to pay for the gas, I myself do not. I'm a target for 10 hours a day, I don't feel that benefit is worth the risk for me I prefer to drive my own car

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Killed the guy as soon as they found him ehh...... you're basing this off of your arm chair detective work? and working with the most reliable evidence in the world provided by the local news media? Good, I'm glad to know my three surviving co-workers just executed this guy and weren't in a gun fight for their lives. Why don't you go over to their house and explain your findings. I'm sure SLCPD will be happy to have your report submitted.

Also glad to know trying to stop a person clearly willing to take another persons life isn't a heroic act. I'm sure the family whose driveway he was murdered in will be glad to know his non-heroic actions possibly stopped this murderer from breaking into their house which was full of children attending a birthday party may/or may not have saved their lives.

You wonder why every Police agency in the state can't hire enough officers to fill their ranks anymore. If the awesome pay, awesome retirement, awesome hours, and awesome days off aren't enough for you, the awesome opinion of the people you are trying to protect surely would convince me.

I had about page typed up for your initial comment, but restrained myself and deleted it. But the second round of ignorance about what actually happened couldn't be ignored by me

The "press" is a disaster..... They're just selling commercials. Their "stories" are exactly that. Made up compilation from a few facts to get ratings

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Don't get me wrong, there is certainly room for reform in government spending but this is not the area I would scream for that reform in. The police have pissed me off plenty of times with petty traffic tickets just like anybody else but I still respect the job they do and their desire to honor fallen officers.

Personally, I don't begrudge the officers the time or taxpayer money to honor the fallen officer. In the grand scheme of taxes, I don't think it is anything I will worry about. Every job has it's benefits. The ability to spend their time and public money to hold and justify an event such as this to honor a fellow officer lost in the line of duty is not a benefit I'm very jealous of. Law enforcement is not a job I would easily take on - I'm sure glad there are guys out there willing to put their lives on the line for the rest of us.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm surprised by the sentiment in this thread. I wish every serviceman could run their funeral procession under a fireman arch. If the families of fallen soldiers would make that request I am fairly certain that would happen.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

You have totally misinterpreted my comments. I have no problem with the police shooting an active shooter, quite the contrary. The guy killed an innocent person. He got what he had coming. As for the heroics, from my limited information Officer Barney was responding to a traffic accident and was ambushed. That is shitty but not heroic, if that is indeed what happened.

You are pretty heated, I get that. My close friend was killed on the job. It hurts and it's shitty. He didn't get a hero's parade, he wasn't being paid $100k a year, his widow and kids get shit so I'm sorry if I offended you by that irritating me as much as I have irritated you.

By the way, my wife's brother is a police officer, a damn fine human being and a close friend . I would still object to what happened if he was the one in Officer Barney's coffin.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
But they did conduct a man hunt, they killed the guy as soon as they found him.

I'm sorry if I mistook you comment. This statement to me read "They conducted a man hunt, found the guy and just shot him." Everything that had happened, happened within about 3 minutes from start to finish. I am unable to elaborate further, as I also do not have all of the information, but I know more than the media. I can say without doubt though, when the suspect was killed, he was actively firing at officers arriving on scene.

You have totally misinterpreted my comments. I have no problem with the police shooting an active shooter, quite the contrary. The guy killed an innocent person. He got what he had coming. As for the heroics, from my limited information Officer Barney was responding to a traffic accident and was ambushed. That is shitty but not heroic, if that is indeed what happened.

You are pretty heated, I get that. My close friend was killed on the job. It hurts and it's shitty. He didn't get a hero's parade, he wasn't being paid $100k a year, his widow and kids get shit so I'm sorry if I offended you by that irritating me as much as I have irritated you.

By the way, my wife's brother is a police officer, a damn fine human being and a close friend . I would still object to what happened if he was the one in Officer Barney's coffin.

I was heated, and got a little spun up. I have since calmed and recognize everyone is entitled to their opinion the same as I am. Just hitting a little close to home right now

I just hope at the end of the day we call all focus on what the real problem is here. Its not the police or citizens, its the people that do their best to ruin our society and cause situations like this to happen.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've had some time to think about all of this since I posted a few hours ago. I think that the amount of attention that line of duty deaths get is indicative of a few things.

First it shows the brotherhood mentality of law enforcement. They band together to show each other (cop to cop) that they are there when their buddies kids or wife needs them. It shows the wives and children that heaven forbid their husband or father were to die at work they would get the love and support they would need to be able to carry on. In my opinion this is more important for the families of the living officers than for the deceased officers family, to see the support and KNOW that it would be there for them too.

Second it shows that the community as a whole is on the same side as law enforcement. This is important to the moral of the police that work day in and day out with the arm-pit of society. When the only people you deal with daily are all shitbags you quickly develop a squeed view on life. This can and often does poison any relationships that you have with "normal" people. You only look at people trying to determine what kind of shitbag they are, because everyone else you deal with is one so everyone must be. We are lucky that our community supports law and order, we've seen on TV what happens when this isn't the case. I'm not saying that everyone ought to bathe police with praise and hugs but to see people line the streets with flags as the procession drives by reminds you that the reason you work in LE is to try and help those people and protect them from the actual shitbags. (I'm three years out of LE but its been 5 since I have been off the street. My shitbag meter is losing its power, and I'm grateful for that, but its got a long way to go still.)

Third, its a show of force. Shitbags know that they can't line up wild wild west style and have a chance to win. The last 5 non accident officer deaths have been, in my opinion, all ambushes. Link here to see and read about the officers that have died in the line of duty in Utah. The last three officers to die have been in their cars when shot, #4 was serving a search warrant on a drug house where the suspect was waiting at the top of the stairs from the front door with a gun, and #5 was searching for a burglary suspect who had fled and posted up in a stand with a hunting rifle and took aim at the deputy from distance. Showing up to a cop funeral in the hundreds and thousands sends a message to the shitbags that says you may be able to take out one of us, but there is a TON more, and we care about each other, and we care about the community we swore to protect and we are going to win.

Destroyer

Phil Nelson
I work a job where people die on the job. Do I put my work boots on in the morning thinking I could die today? No. It never goes through my head. People can get killed in any type of job. But officers get ready for work everyday thinking this could be a day I die. And for that I respect them and thank them for what they do. Yeah I might have bad mouthed some when I've been pulled over for mudflaps or things like that but that don't mean I hate them or think I would be better off without them. Many people think this but wouldn't hesitate to call them if they need help. I think is great when a community can come together to give support for anybody that puts their life on the line as part of their job.
To all the people who put your life on the line as part of your job whatever it maybe. Police, firemen, military. I thank you.