Official new UROC rules discussion thread

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Okay, you've all read through them now, RIGHT? What are your thoughts, concerns, and worries? I'll start by listing some things that got my attention:

Outside the course is now the obscure "50%" rule, rather than the much more clear 3 tire rule. I liked the old rule better.

"Credit gates", are now in affect. I don't really understand how these will change anything. If you don't finish a course, you get 40 points, regardless of how many credit gates you made it through, right? Well, then everyone who finishes a course would have completed all the credit gates, right? They do also say that bonus sections will have more credit gates, does this take place of the UROC line, and the 10 point bonus for Legends (oops, I mean modified) class doing the unlimited line? Interesting...

Spotter ride has changed (again :rolleyes: ) It doesn't say there is a penaltyfor a failed spotter ride attempt, and you are limited to two rides per event. Also, you get a 2 point bonus if the spotter doesn't ever use the strap. I kinda like that one!

Break down time, now you have to declare your breakdown time to the judge on the obstacle you broke on, within three minutes of your course time ending. No more fixing while you're waiting for your next obstacle, and then telling that judge to start your time. Crappy. This is gonna affect some guys a lot (Creighton, are you reading this? :rofl: ).

Unatempted obstacles are now 40 points, not 50. Eh...

Spotters must wear helmets.

Handles must be installed on the rollcage. Huh? Just for the spotter, or for the driver too? I don't get this one. Need clarification.

Second day starting order is determined by the first day's scores. Interesting, this will tend to group the better teams together. I kinda like this concept!

Teams can preview and walk the obstacles prior to the event??? Whoa, does this mean we can drive em before the competition??? This sucks, I want them secret! This rule is only going to favor the "pros" that can afford to spend the whole week at the event site and they will know all the tricks to the course, and will totally screw me and anyone else that cannot afford the time or money to be there early. :mad:

The purse is now only split among the top four (not five) but is now less weighted towards the top two.

All vehicles must weigh atl least 2200 pounds, minus the driver! This is gonna be a problem for a few (very few).

We must now carry an official winch weight bag, regardless of if we use rope or not. WE DON'T HAVE TO USE ROPE (for now...)!

Stock Class Stuff

You hafta have outer AND inner front fenders, but tube fenders, trimming, and flat fenders are approved.

Metal topped vehicles must maintain their tops. Ya can't chop the top off you're XJ, Yota, or whatever.

The use of Ethylene glycol is not permitted as coolant. Isn't that what most coolant is? Don't have a bottle around to check, am I gonn ahave to drain my radiator?

Four point harnesses are mandatory, some will have to upgrade from stock stuff.

Stock steering configuration must be maintained. So, no highsteer, or crossover conversions allowed. Wow.

Coilovers are approved! You stock class guys no longer have to maintain your stock type suspension.

Never mentioned are body narrowing, boat sides, and dove-tailing. Lot's of wiggle room in these rules so far. If they nail you for dove-tailing, ask them to show you a rule that outlaws it!

Modified Class Stuff

Portals are allowed.

Manual wheelbase changes are allowed. Wow...

Outer fenders are required, inners are not, no size limitations are presented, are my tube "fenders" legal?

Boatsides are approved but a rocker panel must remain to some extent. Huh? Again, are my boatsides legal, or am I gonna hafta add some kindof fake rocker panel thing?

Panels must be made of steel, aluminum, or painted plastic. My plastic is not painted, am I okay? It is sent from the factory blue...

Frames may be narrowed. Wow, you're gonna start seeing some very narrow Legends (oops, I meant Modified) rigs.

Numbers must be white on a black background. This pissed me off. :mad: Why would they make a stupid rule like this knowing that all of us spent ten bucks last year to buy black numbers on a white number plate? Trying to squeeze more money out of us, I guess. :mad: :mad:

Magnetic, flattened expanded sheet metal, 1/8” sheet metal or 1/8” aluminum must cover 50% of the cage perimeter on the driver side for two seat vehicles and 100% of the outer cage perimeter on single seat vehicles immediately over the driver seat and be welded or bolted to the four tubes surrounding the driver. Additional tubing may be used in place of plate steel or aluminum. HUH??? Where do I need to put 1/8" Metal??? Are they talking about over my head, or on the sides, like where doors would go? HELP!!! :confused:

Seats must be mounted to the cage, can't leave them bolted to the floor. I wonder why stock seats bolted to the floor are good enough for stock, but not good enough for modified? Again, four point belts are also required.

37" measured tires, looks like I'll have a couple sets of tires up for sale!

We can run 6 wheelers in Modified, now. Any takers? Didn't think so... :rofl:

Super Modifiied Class

Round steel D.O.M tubing, 1.5” O.D with 0.120” is compulsory for the basic roll cage and must be UROC approved. Aluminum and /or soft metals are not permitted. Roll bar construction must be welded. Roll cages made of other material or in other wall thickness/diameters must be done through an UROC approved builder and have a certification and serial number on file with UROC. Contact UROC at 801-446-5337 for information. If you want to make a buggy from less than .120 wall, you hafta pay an "approved" shop to do it. I know some people that this will affect...

A “periscope bar” may be no longer than 12” above the “halo” bar. This may be used as an attaching position for tow straps. Not familiar with this one. Is a periscope bar supposed to prevent a vehicle from coming to rest on it's roof? Interesting...

Rear steer is now 8 points. Getting closer to what it should be...

Fully manual suspensions are now legal. Think we'll see "Big Iron" back in competition? :rofl:

Tire size is limited to 48". Ooooohhh :rolleyes:

Winches required in working order at all times, so you hafta have it mounted the whole time now. I know some people were running without them to save weight. Not anymore!

Well, that's all the major stuff that I could find. What do you guys think? Discuss...

Nixter

on the road again...
I think you pretty muched covered it B. The one I thought was interesting was the.....

Teams can preview and walk the obstacles prior to the event??? Whoa, does this mean we can drive em before the competition??? This sucks, I want them secret! This rule is only going to favor the "pros" that can afford to spend the whole week at the event site and they will know all the tricks to the course, and will totally screw me and anyone else that cannot afford the time or money to be there early.

Maybe you staff a person who just looks at courses and how other people run them??? But, then again, that's time and money as you said.

Spotter helmets......that's a RCAA thing. In fact, If you look really hard, I can see a few RCAA things in there.

So what class are you going to run?

Andy

aka. Hollywood
RockMonkey said:
Stock steering configuration must be maintained. So, no highsteer, or crossover conversions allowed. Wow.

Coilovers are approved! You stock class guys no longer have to maintain your stock type suspension.

Now that's a very bad idea, how well will your steering work with coilovers. I see alot of RCAA in there. I didn't see anything wrong with the original rules for super stock!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nixter said:
Spotter helmets......that's a RCAA thing. In fact, If you look really hard, I can see a few RCAA things in there.

So what class are you going to run?
Sounds like I'll still fit into the modified class. Do spotter helmets still have to be DOT?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
spotter helmets are gay!!! why should you have to wear a helmet if you are outside the vehicle...are they going to make spectators wear helmets too??

CDCrankYankers_Pr.jpg

Helmets are for retarded puppets....not spotters!!

Nixter

on the road again...
RockMonkey said:
Sounds like I'll still fit into the modified class. Do spotter helmets still have to be DOT?

I remember seeing spotters with bike helmets. Are they DOT? Maybe they are for bike riders ?????

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
when I am in the vehicle..I am completely with that line of logic...but outside of the vehicle...I see no reason for it....

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
spencurai said:
spotter helmets are gay!!! why should you have to wear a helmet if you are outside the vehicle...are they going to make spectators wear helmets too??

CDCrankYankers_Pr.jpg

Helmets are for retarded puppets....not spotters!!
I agree, the spotter hemet rule sucks. I do actually know one spectator who got her head run over during an event. :eek: Maybe they should make spectators wear helmets.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nixter said:
I remember seeing spotters with bike helmets. Are they DOT? Maybe they are for bike riders ?????
Nope, bike helmets are not DOT. DOT helmets are always so frigg'n heavy and big. If I were spotting I wouldn't want to wear a huge DOT helmet (or any helmet at all...).

Nixter

on the road again...
RockMonkey said:
Nope, bike helmets are not DOT. DOT helmets are always so frigg'n heavy and big. If I were spotting I wouldn't want to wear a huge DOT helmet (or any helmet at all...).

Question is, can you use the DOT helmet as a rock in case you need it? :D

Nixter

on the road again...
RockMonkey said:
I agree, the spotter hemet rule sucks. I do actually know one spectator who got her head run over during an event. :eek: Maybe they should make spectators wear helmets.

How are they BTW??

Nixter

on the road again...
Good......glad to hear it. I forgot to ask you in St. George......

but then again, you were busy trying to 'get it on it's wheels' ;)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Nixter said:
Good......glad to hear it. I forgot to ask you in St. George......

but then again, you were busy trying to 'get it on it's wheels' ;)
Both were in attendance, you could've asked them. :D We had a bad time in St. George, bad tires. :mad:

Bart

Just some observations.

The spotter helmet rule is an RCAA carryover and no, they didn't have to be DOT approved. The driver is required to wear a DOT approved helmet.

The winch rope still has to be rope, metal cable is not accepted. A friend called on this one yesterday.

The telescoping pole is usually for a rope/strap to hook onto.

Bart

grinch

inner city redneck
Sounds like more money to be dropped with the whole helmet thing. Now spotters are gonna have to get a bike type helmet for spotting so its not so damn heavy, restrictive, and hot. Also a DOT hemlet so they can spotter ride.

I also really want to know about the Placment of 1/8" mettle over the driver and on side of the vehicle..... These rules almost make it sound like a stock door entry on a jeep would not pass.... Also the solid mettle????? what about the mesh type grating (I cant rember the proper name for the type of mettle) roofs that alot of people run.... I agree there needs to be some head protection from rocks but I also hate solit roofs......

The fender thing on modified rules has me confused also.... I run a fender bar and a little sheet mettle... does this count????

Caleb

grinch said:
Sounds like more money to be dropped with the whole helmet thing. Now spotters are gonna have to get a bike type helmet for spotting so its not so damn heavy, restrictive, and hot. Also a DOT hemlet so they can spotter ride.

I also really want to know about the Placment of 1/8" mettle over the driver and on side of the vehicle..... These rules almost make it sound like a stock door entry on a jeep would not pass.... Also the solid mettle????? what about the mesh type grating (I cant rember the proper name for the type of mettle) roofs that alot of people run.... I agree there needs to be some head protection from rocks but I also hate solit roofs......

The fender thing on modified rules has me confused also.... I run a fender bar and a little sheet mettle... does this count????

well a stock jeep door opening has never been aproved, you have always had to have a door bar. The metal you are refering to is called expanded steel...