Oh Autozone how I hate you

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So I just got my Rock Krawler Tie Rod for the JK today. I need two TRE's for the Pitman Arm which replace the normal Tie rod ends. So I went to autozone FIRST. I know better. I walk in and ask for just that, a tie rod end at the pitman arm. Their computer only shows one TRE for the JK anyway which is for the pitman arm. The guy comes back with what is supposed to be the right one and sure enough it's wrong. The shank is so small it slides right into the RK tie rod.

So I tell the guy he has the wrong part. He tells me that since he has never had someone come back saying it's wrong than I must be wrong. So I say alright thanks I'll go to NAPA like I should have done in the first place.

Walk in the door at NAPA with tie rod in hand just like I did at autozone. Tell the guy I need a Tie Rod End for the Pitman arm on my JK. He pulls up the part goes to the back and sure enough it fits perfectly so I buy the two I need and when they have more in stock I'll buy a spare from them.

I keep telling myself this but I mean it this time. I will never go back to Autozone again. Everytime I go there first and they don't have what I need so I end up at NAPA which is closer to the house anyway and they get me sorted out in no time. And when they can't find it in the computer they actually know how to open a book and look up part numbers and figure it out for me.

I know this is pretty much common knowledge but Autozone sucks.

If any of you ever see me walk into Autozone you have my permission to punch me in the ball sack.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Even the part number wouldn't have helped today since the part number they have is wrong. But usually I don't actually need their help short of having them fetch a part from the shelf. They are pretty good a fetching.

I almost ordered them from rockauto last night but just didn't for some reason.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Part number in hand, and checked their website...

Yup, like I said they only show one TRE and according to their website it is for the pitman arm, but when they pull it up at the store it's wrong. He very well may have just pulled the wrong part off the shelf but I'm done with dealing with stupid.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The Tooele Autozone has a couple sentient beings working there, and they let me rummage through the bins because they know nothing I want is stock for that year vehicle. :D

The NAPA is good too, but overpricedish. I usually hit Parts Plus because EVERYONE that works there can handle my requests, and they are the easiest to get to. There is a Carquest that I keep forgetting about that's actually closer, but I hate parkign behind it, and half the time there's a jerk there, the other half a really nice guy who knows his stuff.

O'Reilly lost all my business when they started letting the know-nothing delivery driver work the counter, though I have gone in recently because they do still have a couple people who can chew gum and breathe at the same time-- Henry! miss ya buddy. :D

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don't use Napa because you have to keep your receipts to get your parts warrantied. My high school Auto teacher works nights at AZ, so I feel like I can get good service, and someone who knows whats up.. and I get the rewards points which really adds up when you buy as many parts as I do..
Oriely lost my business when I tried to return some bad plug boots that were arcing to the motor.. I said to the guy "these are shooting sparks out of the boot all over the top of the engine" and he said "is that bad?" after a looong pause and a seriously questioning look on my face he said "I just sell parts, I don't fix cars"..

864runner

I know I'm your hero
I work at AutoZone, and I take absolutely no offense to this. Haha! Most of the workers, including the managers are only good for grabbing parts off the shelf. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to go there. I even still order parts for my truck off of rockauto, even though I get a discount now.

I work for a shop, so oreilys pretty much sucks our dicks when we want.
I asked their delivery driver to stop and get pizza for me, and they did. They bend over backwards to keep us happy, but like someone above said.you gotta know exactly what you need. Most of the time we order from world pack, unless its something we need ASAP, or its like an oil filter, fluid,etc.
It's just nice that they run it right down. Most of the time they are at our shop in under 4 minutes. Top that dominos. It do hate vato zone

driver920

i so miss the old frankedwards and bradshaw autoparts in orem and provo i had them trained to let me look up my own stuff and pull it but both of the Oriley's here in west jordon have been pretty helpfull they will at least pull out the books when i have something that i have built out of sevral things you would never think about putting together but to the parts store employees when i ask for a starter for a mid 70's chevy the truth is i really do not care what model nor engine size it is suppose to fit a little secret i can put the starter off a vega on a 454 and it will work LOL

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I don't have problems with autozone because I usually know what I need and how to find it, so my dealing with idiots is kept to a minimum.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have never had a problem with Vato-zone. Checker was always the knuckle dragging mouth breathers in my experience...and NAPA always cost too much.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
if i don't know exactly what i want (unusual) they know me well enough at the zone to let me figure it out by looking at parts and the system and not ask me stupid questions. the iphone app can be pretty helpful.

everywhere else is just too expensive when they are all around the same quality of parts. if i need spicer or moog i will source it somewhere else but that's it. long story short- they all suck for different reasons, it's about compromise ;)