OHV question

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Ok I know I have seen this talked about in the past but I cant seem to find the thread, trying to do a search but i gotta be doing it wrong. Anyhow I have converted my CJ to a total trail/trailer rig and now i need to register it OHV before Moab. Where do i go and what do i take and cost. So if somebody knows where the thread is that would be awesome! Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Take the title and Jeep to the DMV and tell them you want it OHV registered. Don't remember cost, but I believe it is <$50. They'll take your title, and issue (mail) you an OHV title.

You don't have to take the rig to them, but they'll likely need to do a VIN inspection, and it's easier to have the rig there than it is to have an police officer come to you.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
You're going to need pics of the rig too to show that it's been modified. It's easy to go from street legal to OHV, but quite a process to go back to street legal.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
You don't have to take the rig to them, but they'll likely need to do a VIN inspection, and it's easier to have the rig there than it is to have an police officer come to you.

I have been to the DMV twice to register our TJ :rolleyes: Both times I was told I needed to prove that it was no longer street legal, either by bringing the rig, or a PRINTED photo.

The first time the gal told me it would not be acceptable just to remove the mudflaps, there had to be significant amount of work done to make it not street legal before they will issue an OHV.

1995zj

I'm addicted
$35 a year. I just did this about 1 month ago. There are two forms you need to fill out.

http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-162.pdf
and
http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-569a-mva.pdf

Once you go in, they will give you a new VIN to install. You take your new VIN number and install it, then call your local Police Dept. and have an officer come inspect the VIN and sign TC-162. Then you can go back in and take the printed picture of your rig with those two forms and your current title.

They'll do the rest.

Caleb

Here's a write-up I did a few years back. It was completely accurate at the time, but I don't doubt some things may have changed since then. It should give you a good guideline though.