Archived OHV street use?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
whos got the info on this? i have a few questions. my 4runner(although has been registered in the past) is not the perfect example of a street legal truck, lately the only reason i have kept i registered is to drive from trail to trail, in moab. my registration is now up and i can either find some one who is willing to pass it(not an easy or probably legal task) or get it OHV registered

if i OHV register my truck can i always drive it around moab? or is it only for ejs?
what other places in utah can i drive my OHV?
is it true that i will never be able to register my truck for the street again?
other than just registering as an ohv at the dmv is ther anything else i need to do? such as a street inspection?
are they going to care about my cracked windshield?
do i still need car insurance or do i get sum sort of atv insurance?
i remember reading sumthing about legal atv use on the streets in salt lake county, is there any truth to that? does it apply to my truck being an ohv?

also im sure their are people wondering what are the blinker, lights and other requirments for their buggys. i think ive got all that covered since its still a semi streetable truck, but it would still be good to know

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I have my runner registered ohv, and all I did was bring down the title to the DMV they didn't look at it or anything. Mine was a salvaged title so they just asked me if I had fixed it to good running condition. They said that all I would need is an inspection to re register to street, my brother just registered his bronco from ohv to street. As for driving in moab ohv I wonder the same thing, because I see tons of illegal trucks/ buggys driving down there.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
It is illegal, for now, to drive an ohv on the highway, even in moab, and even during ejs. Its just been in years past that it wasn't strictly enforced. They have been locking down on this lately. there is a bill that was in the senate to for "Street Legal OHV" use. But it has to be registered as a street legal ohv, complete with working lights, turn signals, etc. Not sure if the bill passed completely and if Full Size OHV's were included this year.

I know there are some on here that have more info than i do.

rollover

Maybe some of the folk down in Moab could ask the local PD for us. They may have a limited use permit or a OHV trail set aside thru town.

Be sure to be on the look out for the UHP all the way there and back. I'll bet they are going to be over-enforcing the laws due to the15% cut back across the board for all state agency budgets.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Maybe some of the folk down in Moab could ask the local PD for us. They may have a limited use permit or a OHV trail set aside thru town.

Sorry, no such luck. If it is not fully street legal, you run the risk of being pulled over and ticketed. That being said, the LEOs have traditionally been pretty lenient, but they are getting much stricter, especially during EJS.

jdub

Scrambler
I got pulled for mud flaps from moab to green river. I wouldn't think of driving anything that pushed the limits. They were pulling over everyone, looking for an excuse.

Thursty

During EJS the local law enforcement is GENERALLY pretty lenient. The troopers are the ones you need to worry about, especially the out of town troopers they bring in to help out. If you must drive your OHV on the street just try not to do anything that would draw any unwanted attention to yourself.

Bart

As it stands now, street legal OHV includes the following, only in rural towns with populations of 4500 or less, turn signals, brake lights, lights, windshield or eye protection, horn, rear view mirror, light on OHV license plate, on streets with speed limits under 45mph. There are some other things but those are the main ones. I don't recall that they have to have fenders or mudflaps. It is law now, the new version in the senate at the moment will eliminate Type II OHVs, which is what we are now. But there is a fight going on to change that. As of now the law includes us if we pass inspection.

Guys, lets get a few of our rigs licensed this way so we can help put this through. It's up to us to jump through the hoops.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
We got pulled over and ticketed just outside of moab in my old Tacoma for our front bumper. I had a prerunner bumper that I built 4 years ago and never been pulled over till last EJS, it was a UHP that was on a power trip.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If you must drive your OHV on the street just try not to do anything that would draw any unwanted attention to yourself.

You've obviously never met Robby :rofl:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

100_1105.jpg

Rob, i'll help you in any way that I can if you want to get the ball rolling on registering your rig as an OHV. Bart really needs more guys to jump on this RIGHT AWAY so that the community has a leg to stand on when fighting against the proposed changes that may come.

Let's get on this!

-Jason

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
:rofl: that first pic was when we drove to ejs, that was fun id like to try it again with the new motor:D

for a while i got pulled over about once a week, that sucked, but oddly enough i never got a ticket, for the most part my truck was legal up until now with the busted windsheild. cops just wanted to check i guess

i like how you have pics of both me getting pulled over in my 4runner and my landcruiser.

im down to ohv register mine i, what inspection do i have to pass? where do we do it? is moab considered a rural town with population of 4500 or less?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
im down to ohv register mine i, what inspection do i have to pass? where do we do it? is moab considered a rural town with population of 4500 or less?

I'll shoot Bart your cell in a PM. He should have more info on specifics on where to get it done.

I'd think that Moab fits the small town criteria, problem is, the main road through town is a highway so UHP is all over it anyways.

Coco

UHP has been cracking down the last couple years. My dad was pulled over 3 times last year, but since he is an officer himself he got the warnings...ME on the other hand.....NOT SOOO LUCKY

Last edited:

utah340six

called uhp and moab cp.
no one seams to know what is required to reg as ohv street legal
here is what alpine has.

To be a “street legal ATV”, either Type I or Type II, the following must be met:

o The operator must meet the same requirements as a motorcycle in that:
§ The vehicle must be driven so as to follow all traffic rules;
§ The operator must be at least 16 years of age AND possess a valid Driver’s License;
§ The vehicle must be legally registered AND possess a State issued license plate;
§ The owner must pay fees in lieu of property taxes;
§ The vehicle must pass vehicle emissions inspection.
o The vehicle must meet the following requirements as a motor vehicle, in that:
§ The vehicle must be covered by motor vehicle insurance AND proof thereof must be carried in/on the vehicle;
§ The vehicle must pass a safety inspection.
o To be a “street legal ATV” the following equipment is required:
§ Headlamps;
§ One or more tail lamp;
§ Light illuminating the license plate;
§ Red reflectors to the rear;
§ Stop lamps on the rear;
§ Amber electric turn signals front and rear;
§ A breaking system, other than a parking break;
§ A horn or other warning device;
§ A muffler and emissions control system;
§ Rear view mirrors on both sides of the vehicle;
§ A windshield, or eye protection for the driver;
§ An illuminated speedometer;
§ A footrest and handhold for each passenger; and,
§ For “side by side” vehicles, a seatbelt for each occupant.
o The operator of a “Street legal ATV” may not exceed the posted speed limit or a maximum speed of 45 MPH.
·
ONLY ATVs WHICH MEET ALL OF THESE REQUIREMETS ARE “STREET LEGAL ATV”s AND ARE ALLOWED ON THE STREETS OF ALPINE.

ony one with more info.

ps my insurance guy was confused as what to sell me for insurance?????

Ford Prefect

Now, all of the photos I have seen of people getting pulled over are people with UTAH plates.

In Colorado you can have a completely open tire buggy, all you require are Windshield, plus wipers. Lights and signals, and a VIN and you are legal to get a standard plate like anyone else. Are they going to pull that over, if it is plated, legally, from another state?

Honestly, any rock buggy, just toss on those things and you are legal, so, CAN they ticket you if you are legal from another state?

Not that I have to worry about that yet, but I hope to get working on one in the next few years, and would obviously drive it around there. Seeing as any moon buggy with the lights and vin is street legal in Colorado

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Now, all of the photos I have seen of people getting pulled over are people with UTAH plates.

In Colorado you can have a completely open tire buggy, all you require are Windshield, plus wipers. Lights and signals, and a VIN and you are legal to get a standard plate like anyone else. Are they going to pull that over, if it is plated, legally, from another state?

Honestly, any rock buggy, just toss on those things and you are legal, so, CAN they ticket you if you are legal from another state?

Not that I have to worry about that yet, but I hope to get working on one in the next few years, and would obviously drive it around there. Seeing as any moon buggy with the lights and vin is street legal in Colorado

This has come up in the past and too my knowledge you are required to meet the safety requirements of the state you are in. There may be some leeway while say traveling on the interstate but you would have a hard time pressing the argument in Moab. Similar to say a concealed weapons permit, groups have gone to great extent to see which states honor the neighboring states permit, but still, some do not and you are required to follow the laws of that state.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I have insurance on mine, they just insured it as a truck, with liability.

That list of requirements you posted is incomplete, there are also restrictions on tire size, driver seat height, vehicle width, and so on.

the laws are also changing in the very near future so that list does no good.

Yes Kurt, your vehicle is required to meet the safety standards for the state you are traveling through, sometimes, you can bs your way through it and get out of a ticket, but with an out of state tag and Utah drivers license, it is harder to say you're a tourist just passing through.

Ford Prefect

This has come up in the past and too my knowledge you are required to meet the safety requirements of the state you are in. There may be some leeway while say traveling on the interstate but you would have a hard time pressing the argument in Moab. Similar to say a concealed weapons permit, groups have gone to great extent to see which states honor the neighboring states permit, but still, some do not and you are required to follow the laws of that state.

Interesting.

I should think so long as it is not just a permit, but an actually legally plated vehicle would not think they could do anything about it... Curious...

Thanks for the thoughts...