OHV Tag

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Kris K said:
Mineral Sounds good. I need to make a shake down run first probable little moab on the 9th then after that i'm ready. When are you planning to go.
sooner or later, let me know when your going out for the test run.

utahxjer

So everyone's cost about $37 bucks? (besides Cody), did anyone else have to tell them the value of your rig?

Meat_

Banned
I don't remember if I posted about mine in this thread or not....

Mine *was* an '87 Blazer.... I just had to have the vin inspected turn in some paper work, have the new vin inspected (no trailer to haul it down) then they gave me a new registration. They left the year the same on mine so I didn't get a new title ('87 is too old for a title on offroad). I told them it was worth $100 IIRC and they didn't question it... total cost was like $39 for mine.

One time a Lehi cop came out and the next time a County Sheriff came out, both were here about 5 minutes after I called.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
VIN INSPECTION>

Hey I just skimmed through the posts, and might have missed it. But you can have any one with an state inspector license do a vin inspection. I guesss if you buddy does it you wouldn't even have to haul it down there. My 2 cents

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Samuraiman said:
Hey I just skimmed through the posts, and might have missed it. But you can have any one with an state inspector license do a vin inspection. I guesss if you buddy does it you wouldn't even have to haul it down there. My 2 cents
The DMV or a Peace Officer.......only,,, ;)

utahxjer

Samuraiman said:
But if you don't haul it down there, you have to get it inspected twice

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
utahxjer said:
But if you don't haul it down there, you have to get it inspected twice

True, I had to have my Bro inspect it twice. Once to show the Orig Vin #. Then a second time showing I put the new vin # on the rig.

Jate

Speed beats up Sparky.
Kris K said:
True, I had to have my Bro inspect it twice. Once to show the Orig Vin #. Then a second time showing I put the new vin # on the rig.

When I got a OH tag I just brought the form that I was given at the DMV down to the place that does auto inspections and they verified the VIN and signed the sheet. I brought the signed sheet to the DMV and got my tag.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Two questions:

1. Bought basically stock jeep in October .. safety stickered and Licencesed it at that time. Then did conversions that will not pass safety (height, full hydro, tire coverage etc). Even though I will trailer the vehicle to the trails, will I have any trouble on the trails if I don’t OHV register this vehicle until next October?

2. After doing an OHV registration, I understand there is some leniency in the law for driving from trial heads to say gas stations etc. Any specifics on this issue. For example. I live in Heber, and hence very close (within 10 miles) of several dirt roads which are OHV/ATV legal. Can I drive from my house, to gas station to trail head with out problems?

Meat_

Banned
1) Technically if you modify it to an extent that it will no longer pass safety your license is void. I highly doubt you'll be bothered driving it on dirt roads though.

2) Where you can drive it depends on the town/county laws, it will be treated the same as any ATV pretty much everywhere other than Moab.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
1) Technically if you modify it to an extent that it will no longer pass safety your license is void. I highly doubt you'll be bothered driving it on dirt roads though.

2) Where you can drive it depends on the town/county laws, it will be treated the same as any ATV pretty much everywhere other than Moab.

I know some areas (5mp) are known for having stickers checked and enforced, even in parking areas, pre-trail. It would just be a bummer to get to a Moab trial head, ready to go, and get inspected/shut down on this.

I thought vehicle laws were set state wide? So Grand Counties vechicle laws may differ even from Moab City, or Wastch County or Heber city? I figured it would have to be uniform for the state?

Last edited: