Oil Leak

Background Info:
'96 Grand Cherokee V8 5.2l 318
150k Miles Auto
I think that's more than will be needed.
Problem:
Had a bad oil leak from rear of engine, because rear-mains are a common problem in grands, I naturally said that's what it was and went to work. So I changed the rear main seal, did the oil pump while I was in there, threw on the new pan gasket....and it still leaks...So I removed the pan, cleaned everything up...Then reinstalled, still leaks. So I do it all over, AGAIN(just the pan) clean it all up, put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket(its the rubber style) bolt it all back up(I've been torqing to spec every time) and it still leaks. Even if its not running, it will have a slow little dribble that ends up comin out of the bell-housing. And when it's running its a quick drip-drip-drip.....
Did I do something wrong? Were my torque specs off? Did I miss something? I don't want to have to take this to a mechanic(unless he's free, of course :D )
Suggestions???

Torque specs:
Main cap: 85 Ft. Lbs
Oil Pump: 30 Ft. Lbs
Oil Pan: 18 Ft. Lbs

TIA

Brett

Meat-Hippy
jeepin4x4james said:
Background Info:
'96 Grand Cherokee V8 5.2l 318
150k Miles Auto
I think that's more than will be needed.
Problem:
Had a bad oil leak from rear of engine, because rear-mains are a common problem in grands, I naturally said that's what it was and went to work. So I changed the rear main seal, did the oil pump while I was in there, threw on the new pan gasket....and it still leaks...So I removed the pan, cleaned everything up...Then reinstalled, still leaks. So I do it all over, AGAIN(just the pan) clean it all up, put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket(its the rubber style) bolt it all back up(I've been torqing to spec every time) and it still leaks. Even if its not running, it will have a slow little dribble that ends up comin out of the bell-housing. And when it's running its a quick drip-drip-drip.....
Did I do something wrong? Were my torque specs off? Did I miss something? I don't want to have to take this to a mechanic(unless he's free, of course :D )
Suggestions???

Torque specs:
Main cap: 85 Ft. Lbs
Oil Pump: 30 Ft. Lbs
Oil Pan: 18 Ft. Lbs

TIA

Well, the only things that I can think of that you might have leaking as well would be the heads on the back side or "maybe" your front seal on the transmission. On one of my Cherokee's, the seal right behind the torque converter went bad and I had a nice steady drip going all the time (though, mine was a lot worse than what yours sounds like.) Another suggestion, though this is probably remote, would be to check the seal where the distributor mounts to the back of the motor. I suppose that it could be leaking out of that as well and dripping out, though I doubt it, since you say you have a constant leak, even when shut off.

My .02

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Where's the oil pressure sender on the 318? On a small block Chev, that could be your problem. I don't know about the Chrysler, though. (Is the dist. in the front on the small blocks or is that just "B" and "RB" blocks?)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
18 lbs sound a tad tight, might want to double check that one. Bellhousing usually means rear main. Was the crank scored at all? Also, feel around the back of the intake and valve covers. Could be a cam plug, lot's of work if it is. I'm just guessing, cause who own's Chryslers??? :D

Brett said:
Well, the only things that I can think of that you might have leaking as well would be the heads on the back side or "maybe" your front seal on the transmission. On one of my Cherokee's, the seal right behind the torque converter went bad and I had a nice steady drip going all the time (though, mine was a lot worse than what yours sounds like.) Another suggestion, though this is probably remote, would be to check the seal where the distributor mounts to the back of the motor. I suppose that it could be leaking out of that as well and dripping out, though I doubt it, since you say you have a constant leak, even when shut off.
I don't think it's anything on the top end of the motor....Can't see any wet spots above the pan.
Mine is pretty bad though, when it warms up it drips quite quickly, it leaves a trail....enough so that I haven't driven it for almost a month :(

mbryson said:
Where's the oil pressure sender on the 318? On a small block Chev, that could be your problem. I don't know about the Chrysler, though. (Is the dist. in the front on the small blocks or is that just "B" and "RB" blocks?)
I think its the same as a SBC...dist is in the back. Again though, can't see anything wet up that high, maybe its on the very back though, by the firewall :confused:

BCGPER said:
18 lbs sound a tad tight, might want to double check that one. Bellhousing usually means rear main. Was the crank scored at all? Also, feel around the back of the intake and valve covers. Could be a cam plug, lot's of work if it is. I'm just guessing, cause who own's Chryslers???

I'll double check it. Is it possible that the new rear main is leaking? I installed it all according to the insructions, crank had no obvious scoring on it. I'll check on the cam plug.....

Maybe my instructions left something big out?....I know it left a couple details out...like re-torqing the second to last cap(don't know why it had to be loosened in the first place)
Here it is, maybe something is obviously wrong.....Rear Main

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
To let the crank drop enough to easily side the rear main in? Never seen it in writing, but I always do it.

jeepin4x4james said:
I know it left a couple details out...like re-torqing the second to last cap(don't know why it had to be loosened in the first place)
Here it is, maybe something is obviously wrong.....Rear Main

bigchev79

hold on every one

is the pan gasket cork if it is torking it to factry spec jest killed it and it will leak even with sealer only tighten them tell the gasket tell it starts to squish
if it not that well every thing likes to leak on jeep the oil filter adapter is the most commen ive seen i get to change them all the time

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
bigchev79 said:
hold on every one

is the pan gasket cork if it is torking it to factry spec jest killed it and it will leak even with sealer only tighten them tell the gasket tell it starts to squish
if it not that well every thing likes to leak on jeep the oil filter adapter is the most commen ive seen i get to change them all the time

jeepin4x4james said:
.......... put gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket(its the rubber style) ...........

Sounds like it's the dealer type gasket to me....

RKCRWLR

I just did the same thing. Changed the main seal, pan gasket, etc. Still got the leak. Turned out its the oil sender and its very common to leak and to be mistaken for a rear main seal. Mine was on a 95 GC 318. Took about a week to burn/drip all the oil off the back of the engine.

RKCRWLR

Its the pressure switch immediately to the passenger side of the distributor. Its vertical, and well hidden under the wires. Takes a special socket too. It was so cramped and I was on short schedule, so I had the dealer do it (about $90).

Special socket eh? That sucks. I really don't want to take it to a dealer....Do you know what kind of socket it is? I haven't looked at it yet, maybe I'll just have to fork up the dough :ugh:

GEEZZ....What's so special about 'em? Think I could kinda white-trash my way around buying them? I am way poor, so however I can do it that's real cheap or free, I'll do it.