ok chevy guys?

hambone

web wheeler
i just picked up an '87 gmc jimmy and i want to fit 35" tires on it and i need help figuring out what the best route to take on suspension would be? this is my DD so it needs to work for both on and off road.

ALF

SURE!?
All the guides and shops will tell you 6" for 35's which is what I ran on my 78 but if I were to do it again I'd run a 4" and 35's or 6" and 37's. I wouldn't waste the time or money on blocks or springs in the back, depending on how high you go definatly run a shackle flip in the back and an add a leaf if you need the additional heighth of a 6" lift. Shackle flip and 56" springs made my blazer ride like a caddy.

Meat_

Banned
I would go with a 4", and I'll second the shackle flip it's the only way to go.

I ran 33's on my '88 when it was bone stock and never rubbed anything.....

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would go with NO lift and a bunch of trimming. But then, a 4" lift will keep the belly off stuff better than none, and it's not huge. :D Shackle flip hell yeeeeaaaahhhhhh.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ORD's is cleaner, but DIY's is cheaper. Your call. You can drill out the factory one and flip it too if I remember right.... but I might be thinking of M715's :D

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
check out sky-manufacturing.com they have both rear shackle flip and a front spring drop so you wouldn't even have to remover the u bolts to get 4+ inches (more w/ extended shackles) no tax either since he's in oregon.. just a suggestion. i like his 14ff disc brackets no spacers much stronger..

Chaddy

i just picked up an '87 gmc jimmy and i want to fit 35" tires on it and i need help figuring out what the best route to take on suspension would be? this is my DD so it needs to work for both on and off road.

If you dont want to trim your fenders, then I would get a 6inch spring lift and NOT a backyard flip. I just think using old worn out springs isnt a good idea, and I dont think they work as well as springs all around.

If you have good trimmin skills, then go 4 inch to lower your COG.

I ran 35's for a while with a 4 inch on my 90 blaze with minor trimming.

Meat_

Banned
I can't speak for the backyard flip (I would never use it) but as for the ORD flip, I would never use anything else on the back of a Chev.

ALF

SURE!?
I can't speak for the backyard flip (I would never use it) but as for the ORD flip, I would never use anything else on the back of a Chev.

agreed and if you can while you're doing it swap in some 56" or 63" springs I ran the echobit and 56's and loved it. Plus stock 56's and 63's are cheap and easy to come by

smashmetal

63's in the rear really make it a nice off road ride not to mention on road as well. A set of rear 52's or even 56's up front would just add to the flexability. I think ORD has a kit to put 52's up front.
I know Im a little late about getting my 2 cents in but good choice on the 4" lift over all! 6" springs will give ya your weight but don't quit work as well as a 4". I know plenty of people that are running 4" lifts and 40" tires, keeps the center of gravity down:D

Chaddy

im not affraid of trimming i went ahead and got the ORD flip kit (thanks brad) and 4" tuff country up front down the road i plan on cross over steering and a 14b with 56"

You are still going to be using your old rear springs?

Your rig will sag in the rear with nice new springs up front and old saggy one's in back......

Im just not a fan of shackle flips...my 2cents

Have you put the steering braces on yet? I recommend you get the weld in and bolt in if you dont already.

Chaddy

And from your avatar we can see that you aren't a fan of the flex that they bring ;)

First of all, the pic doesnt give it justice (like always) AND, flex isnt everything. I am just saying that using old saggy springs isnt the best way.

And if you want your saggy butt to be level, you have to put zero rates in there (blocks), or lift the rear of the body using bigger mounts. Classy.....

Meat_

Banned
You obviously have not looked at ORD's stuff. Stock springs and their flip gives you exactly 4" on the rear, and it reangles your pinion while it's at it. And if you are worried about the strength of the flip, the ORD kit will be the strongest thing on your truck.

Chaddy

You obviously have not looked at ORD's stuff. Stock springs and their flip gives you exactly 4" on the rear,

And if you are worried about the strength of the flip, the ORD kit will be the strongest thing on your truck.
I have wheeled with stephen, brandon, and the whole watson family, and have perchased MANY parts from ORD!!! Great company! I have ORD's--crossover, frame braces, disc brake conversion kit's as in plural....

I am in no way saying the flip kit itself is bad. I am saying the old rear springs are the weak link here. Now if you bought some NEW rear stock springs, then you would be ok. I still think they sag if its not set up right.

I dont want to argue with you. Look, I gave my 2cents and left it at that.

You, as your avatar has it, are just that! for tryin to clown on me, probly cuz Im new to THIS sight. But clown away....:)

Meat_

Banned
Not busting your stones at all, just disagreeing with you.... look in my profile to see my ORD flips. I don't know if they were the original stock or not, but they were stock, they rode like a caddy and I had no sag with crazy flex (for what they were).

Oh and hambone.... make yourself some traction bars ;)