Ok Tacoma, just for you...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I took some videos this week... watch the first video, about 12 seconds in a 2" x 12" chunk of wood hits the window. You can see my co-worker jump when it hits the window, I laugh cause it has happened to me before! We're told the plexiglass is bulletproof, damn well better be!

[YOUTUBE]si43y6p9uJ8[/YOUTUBE]

POV looking at the workhead.... you can hear the winch pulling the boom up and down. These trees were kind of small, I need to get more video of the big trees coming down. :greg:

[YOUTUBE]gvAGPDtl_qg[/YOUTUBE]

Greg

Admin
You need to get TK to do some airbrushing on your rig that depicts "tree doom". :rofl:

:rofl:

Why do up need to do that?

Theres several reasons, safety being first and foremost.

Crossings need to be cut to very specific standards or someone may get hit, injured or worse yet, killed. There was an accident not far from where I live where a woman got hit by a train, lived thru the accident and proceeded to sue UP. She won a $6 Million lawsuit because the crossing didn't have the Government required sight-clearance.

Another reason is to help train crews see further, around curves, etc. Most main-line RR movements are governed by signals, red, yellow and green lights. If a train crew cannot see the signal until the last minute, it could cause problems, possibly an accident. Sight distance is crucial to train operations. Can you imagine operating an 800-thousand ton train down a steep grade and having trees crowding your vision? The further they can see, the safer they are.

Lastly, to prevent fires... trains can make sparks, clearing trees and brush from next to the tracks helps reduce the chance of a costly track fire. Cutting the trees also helps create clearance for other track maint. operations.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Thanks, Greg! Those are sweeeeet videos! That thing is awesome.

Sight clearance is a lot of what we did w/SLC.... and to this day, when I see trees blocking stop signs and whatnot, it irks me. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, a while back he posted some pics that got me all excited about line-clearance monsters again, since I used to be an arborist for SLC. We got to use a sick 5-bladed, 4wd monstrosity to clear powerline ROW's.

Greg's railroad monster is just a lot more brutal. And I can't remember what to search for or I'd repost the pics. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't think that thing cuts 'em so much as just... mashes the holy hell out of the poor trees and forces them to break or be beaten some more.

Totally awesome.

Greg

Admin
I don't think that thing cuts 'em so much as just... mashes the holy hell out of the poor trees and forces them to break or be beaten some more.

Totally awesome.

Yeah, the blades are quite dull. They hack their way thru the trees right now rather than cut. We ordered new blades, should be here next week. We actually broke one of the bolts that hold the blade in place... the blade went flying. We were lucky to find the blade. :eek: The winch cable broke on my side a few weeks ago, that was fun. That workhead was spinning full speed, dropped about 8 foot instantly and hit the ground. Luckily we had a replacement cable and were back running in 15 min.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
Looks like you've got some makrolon winders in that thang, Not "bullet proof" but it'll keep most anything you're dealing with from coming in.