OK XJ buffs...hook me up with the 411

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
My sister has a '96 xj that she barely ever uses. Last week it got rear ended and the rear hatch and qtr panel got wrecked. The insurance is going to total it....I think I'll be able to pick it up from the insurance for less than a g if I want. It's in mint condition....auto...242...sport model....super low miles....rear body is poopoo but oh well. Think I should pick it up? Anything with 96's that is a big no no? I'm thinking for the condition and price I should grab it and maybe play with it one of these days....whadduya think?

How well do the 4.0's and auto's hold up?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
it should be an ok ride....just make sure the mounting points for the suspension aren't tweaked....other than that strip it and trip it!!

Caleb

if you can get it for a grand or so I would jump on it...the 4.0 are killer motors and the autos are too as well...I believe it would be a TF999 auto...I may be wrong but I think I'm not:D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Originally posted by supergper
if you can get it for a grand or so I would jump on it...the 4.0 are killer motors and the autos are too as well...I believe it would be a TF999 auto...I may be wrong but I think I'm not:D

I think the TF999 is in the Grands.........XJ's are AW4. Excellent Tranny and decent motor in the 4.0L.

Mike, Even if the rear of the rig is mucked up, grab it. It's not hard to put a piece of tube in the unibody and 'straighten' it to rehang the rear shackle. How's the gas tank? If the unibody is tweaked ahead of the rear axle, I'd pass, but if it's just bent in the back, why not?

I'm so flattered that I've impressed you enough with my trail prowess, you want to ditch the WJ :D :D and join the XJ revolution {it's still a unibody, no matter what}.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Originally posted by mbryson
I'm so flattered that I've impressed you enough with my trail prowess, you want to ditch the WJ :D :D and join the XJ revolution {it's still a unibody, no matter what}.

Yeah, every XJ i've seen on the trail is gettin' strapped...I'm thinkin' my drivin' skillz might change that pattern :p

I'm gonna grab it...I don't know too many xj's that have never seen dirt. My sister babied the thing.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by Mike_Lib

Yeah, every XJ i've seen on the trail is gettin' strapped...I'm thinkin' my drivin' skillz might change that pattern :p

I'm gonna grab it...I don't know too many xj's that have never seen dirt. My sister babied the thing.

Hey now.....I didn't go far as I was fixing a Ramcharger D44 that day......:D

This'll be interesting with you nabbing it. Is it 'big league' like D60's on both ends with 38ish or bigger and massive unibody bracing and combination exo/interior cage? or a milder D44'd unit on 35's?

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Nah, don't want a monster xj. Probably keep it smaller and just rally it. I'm going to build something big when I dump my WJ....hopefully soon....just need to get off my duff and sell it.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by Mike_Lib
Nah, don't want a monster xj. Probably keep it smaller and just rally it. I'm going to build something big when I dump my WJ....hopefully soon....just need to get off my duff and sell it.

I dig the dubJ.......That is a well executed rig, IMHO. That should be the tow rig and put your lightweight buggy up on the trailer behind it........

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by mbryson

XJ's are AW4. Excellent Tranny and decent motor in the 4.0L.

I'll agree with that. I'm still running the original 4.0L and AW4 in my '89 cherokee... 200,000 + miles.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Here are the pics....it's actually a 95....and my sister didn't describe the accident very well. If I want it I have to go grab it down in L.A. where she lives....do you think it's worth it?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Hmmm........The big thing I'd be concerned about is the unibody rail.....You could 'Cody' the back half, though from about the rear seat and probably be OK.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Why is the rear driveshaft hanging down, and what implications does that have for the transfer case? You might want to check that out before paying for your plane ticket...

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
So how much do you think it's worth if I were to just sell it? I'm guessing I'd ebay it...

I need her to take more pics....she didn't really know what to snap.

I'm assuming the x-case is OK and the rear slip yoke just got pulled out...but I'll have her snap a pic of the case too.

Thanks.

Mike