Old Ammunition Question

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I recently came into possession of thousands of rounds of old ammunition, mostly .22, .22LR, 30-06, .44 Magnum, and 20ga shot shells. It's all around 50 years old, all in their original boxes and were stored in a cool dry place.
I'm not really a "gun guy", but I enjoy an occasional day of target shooting. I have rifles that match all this ammo, so it sure would be nice to use it. I'm assuming the brass stuff is fine, but my main concern is the shot shells. They're plastic Sears "Ted Wilson" brand. Look to be in good shape, no corrosion or bulging, but I hear the powder can go bad?
What's to opinion of all the gun nerds here?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad had some powder given to him by his uncle, I'm going to guess easily more than 50 years old, still went bang when we did reloads. As long as it's been stored in a dry location I think you're fine. Avoid anything with corrosion.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Before shooting those old shells you may want to research a little online for cartridge collector groups. Old, odd headstamp, no longer in production stuff has a niche market that might net you enough to buy some new ammo and put a little in the bank for projects or hunting trips.