Old Ford questions

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Sahweet!!!!!!!

Our ol' 73 2wd F250, well it sits and sits and sits... then fires right up.

Has had a smoked valve for two years (many smoked valves?).. and it is still turn key reliable, regardless of weather, or time of dormancy.

And gets better mpg than my EFI 7.5 in my Centurion, grumble ***** whine moan.....

LT.

Ive got a 400 big block (supposivly the bottom end has been rebuilt) manual trans with a new clutch and the t-case out of a 79 Bronco. PM me if ur interested

Thanks for the offer but, I really don't quite know what I want to do with it yet. I will keep you in mind, though. I have ordered four or five parts catalogs in hopes of figuring out what I want to do with it. At first I was thinking Rockwells, and 44's. Then I was thinking a 4" lift and some 37's with a camo vinyl wrap on the truck. Now I really am struggling I think I may try my hand at some body work with it.

LT.

oldbluechevy78

Weren't those the years with the closed knuckle in the front and drum brakes? If it is find a newer axle for the front, my buddy had one and couldn't stop it to save his life. I also had a friend with one, and the frame broke in half behind the cab, but he was kind of ruff on his trucks :)

Toad

If you were a little closer id say buy my highboy. 1976, 460, 4 speed, 205, open knuckle 44, dana 60, seat and headliner have been redone, good 315/75/r16 tires on nice aluminum wheels, new exhaust from manifolds back with flowmasters 1400.00 bucks

LT.

The truck is close and was too good of a deal to just pass up. $600.00 for a running, driving, 3/4 ton truck was too tempting for me. I am currently looking for a 78/79 front Dana 60. I have found a few but, folks want a lot for them. When I get to that point I will start looking harder. First things first, new springs, gears, wheels and tires. I may end up purchasing some body tools and try my hand at some of the body damage that needs to be addressed. I already have a power brake booster that fits a 78 pickup. I am going to see what it will take to retrofit it into the truck. I will also need to take a close look at the body mounts and the under side of the truck. I am sure there are a few things under the truck that will need some attention as well.

All in all I am pretty happy with the purchase. The Beater is going to be done as soon as I get it back from Casper Customs. I was going to need another project to work on when time permits itself. This will do nicely I think. I will be hitting a few of y'all up for some parts and advise along the way that is for sure!

LT.

LT.

Well, Betty (the old Ford) has now arrived at the house and is now under my care. Now begins the fun part, trying to figure out what year the truck is. The title says 1973, decoding the vin # shows that the truck was made in July of 1974 in San Jose, California, and was equipped with a 360 ci motor, and is indeed a 3/4 ton four wheel drive. I tried to locate the vin # on the body but have been unable to find it. I looked on the right side under the hood on the cowl and on the rear facing side of the drivers door. I can see where they would go but cannot see any numbers. After closely looking at the rear suspension I noticed that the center line of the rear tire and the center line of the rear wheel well opening do not line up. The rear axle is pushed back about an inch to two inches. This leads me to believe that the body was transplanted onto the 1973 or 74 frame. The frame also has a lot more rust than the body does. Again supporting my theory. I have not done too much to it since it arrived. I am trying to get money to Casper Customs so the work on the Beater can be done. I will update as time and money permit.

LT.

LT.

Yep, 1973 was when the body lines changed. No difference that I am aware of between the 1973 and 1974 models. There were a few minor changes between 1973 and 1977. In 1978 the Fords all got married T-cases which continues to this day. 1967 through 1972 bodies were the same but front end, grills, and headlights changed some during those model years. I double checked my findings today and made sure of what I have. 1973 Ford frame with a 1969 body. I guess I will call it a 1971, splitting the difference between the model years.

LT.

LT.

Okay, next question. Since the truck is an old school rig I am looking for parts and pieces to keep it with that theme. But, I can't decide on tires for old Betty. I really like the look of the Ground Hawgs and would not be too against some TSL's either. What do y'all think? I am looking to keep it some what sane so only around a 38" tire. What size, tread pattern, make and model would y'all run if it was yours? I am going to run some plain jane white wagon wheels on her as well.

Thanks in advance.

LT.