Old school in august! come on people!

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I know Lisa really wants a vacation this year. But maybe we can get with jon Williams out at mmsp and do an old school 2 event. Start making it an annual event.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I think it would be fun, and try to make it or possibly even enter depending on how building goes this next month or two.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Im in. Could possibly get my GF to enter too.

What about a true stock class?Max 33's, no time limits, easy courses that are more about learning what its like to compete, no possibility of any mechanical or body damage unless you get waaay out of line? A super calm no pressure setting.

I ask this because those that have competed before know what its about, but just the idea of competition, and being watched while competing may be enough to scare away some possible first time competitors. For example, my GF isnt afraid of driving, but rather of people watching her drive, since shes never been in a competition setting like this.

Caleb

Im in. Could possibly get my GF to enter too.

What about a true stock class?Max 33's, no time limits, easy courses that are more about learning what its like to compete, no possibility of any mechanical or body damage unless you get waaay out of line? A super calm no pressure setting.

I ask this because those that have competed before know what its about, but just the idea of competition, and being watched while competing may be enough to scare away some possible first time competitors. For example, my GF isnt afraid of driving, but rather of people watching her drive, since shes never been in a competition setting like this.

The only problems I see is you'd have to set a limit to the number of entries, and with no time limit, even with only a couple vehicles, it could turn in to a VERY long day. Not really worth it. Not trying to be rude, but it's a competition for a reason :) Wheeling with no pressure and no time limits is called a weekend wheeling trip :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Johnny Quest,

No time limit takes the competition out of the competition. ;)

I'm pretty sure that if you want a garuntee of no mechanical breakage, and no pressure from not being watched, you may want to stay away from competition rock crawling. All those ingredients make it what it is. You have standards for each class, courses that try stretch te ability of driver/rig, a point system that involves a clock, and spectators to cheer and spectate.

FWIW, the OSRC brings an awesome fun and friendly crowd. Spectators, volunteers, and competitors are all there to have fun in the name of supporting the fight for public land use. The word "competition" hardly describes what the OSRC is about. Think of it as, bitchin recreational wheeling with a timer, a point system, and cheering people. :)

maveric

Crawler Collecter

A few of us were discussing a stock/entry level class. However, I think there still needs to be a time limit, and that the class should run the stock lines. I don't think the lines are too difficult for anyone, but for a first timer, learning the tricks of the game and the abilities of your rig/spotter are key. But most newbies wont be anywhere competitive with the current stock class drivers.
The sport of cone dodging has come a long ways in the last 10 years, and it is a far cry from trail wheeling. If we want to get new people interested in competing, we need to make it so they aren't afraid to come play.

For example, my GF isnt afraid of driving, but rather of people watching her drive, since shes never been in a competition setting like this.
FWIW, last year my wife ran in the stock class in her rig, never having competed before, and at one point, was in first place. I believe she finished the weekend in 4th. She didnt run this last weekend, but said she will be back for the next one.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
stock rigs with 33's will have no problem in the current stock class.

5 years ago we competed with a 86 4runner. 33 bfg AT's and a 4" lift and cage... nothing else. We took 3rd.

I agree that they will have no problems with the class, but pretty sure most wont be competitive with this years winners.

And the courses have gotten tougher. Last year we ran almost all the unlimited lines, where this year we didnt even think about trying them.

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
if rawlin and myself set up a competition training day at little moab.. would people show up? set up some cones, nothing to hard, just some stuff to get people a bit more comfy with the competition idea?

doing an august event at miller would be a cool idea, the trick would be to get miller to donate the course for two days, if i remember right werock had to pay $2500 a day to be there, plus additional huge amount for them to advertise the event

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Id be down for "Competition Training Day" at LIttle Moab.... Got at least 3 that would for sure show up and run it for the experience!!!

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Yeanow that i think about it more, the 'no time limit' wouldnt work, but i think a street-stock class could be easy, since it would be the same courses as the current stock class.

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
if rawlin and myself set up a competition training day at little moab.. would people show up? set up some cones, nothing to hard, just some stuff to get people a bit more comfy with the competition idea?

doing an august event at miller would be a cool idea, the trick would be to get miller to donate the course for two days, if i remember right werock had to pay $2500 a day to be there, plus additional huge amount for them to advertise the event

I really want to keep new people coming into the rockcrawling world. I think me and Robby are going to sit down a put together a competition training day or days to help people get their feet wet. If you are interested please get in contact with one of us and we can start the training!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
dont worry to much about the time limit, we were finishing our courses with up to 5 minutes left,, usually if you time out.. 9 times out of 10, your stuck and not making it anyways. the best thing you can do when competeing is take your time and dont be in a hurry, if they give you a 10 minute time limit, use 9 minutes and 57 seconds