Old School Rock Crawl, stock rules

CJenson

I would like some clarification on the rules for the street stock class in this event. The rules state that your battery must be of the no-spill type, is this limited to an optima style battery or will a regular style battery that is tied down properly suffice. Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I read that as needing a sealed-type, non-spillable battery. I run an Orbital in mine, which is an AGM battery like an Optima. There are plenty of other brands too--but the bottom line is, if you can add water to the battery, it won't meet the requirements.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
To take that further, If you cut the battery in half and it leaks you cant run it. In other words gel batteries have the electrolyte embedded in a fiberglass matrix that wont leak out even if the case is cracked open.

zachvu

Carquest has an agm replica of the optima that from what I've heard is pretty close in quality and I think it's a pretty reasonable price?

CJenson

Yeah I had one in my 4-runner that I sold, I guess I should have taken it out. I don't run any lights or a winch, so my standard battery has always been sufficient.

STAG

On my grind
Sorry this is a stupid question... but what about "maintenance free" batteries? there aren't any accessible ports on it? :confused: not that it matters directly to me as I'm not entering this year.

tony moniz

napa has a gel type bat. as well. thats what i run. left my truck for about 8 months, and had to jump it to get it started. then took it for a long high rev drive, when i got back i turned it off and then immediatly tryed to re-start it, and it was a no go. i didn't can it just then, i held on to it for about a year and then after my current bat. fell into my power steering puley( and put a nice hole in it ) i put it on a 40 amp charge for about 6-8 hours then all of a sudon as long as i start it once a day it's good. go figure. mabey this helps , mabey not, but thats my experiance

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Yeah we do have them down at carquest (where I work) and they are a great battary and have a great warranty on them. I beilieve it is a 2 year free replacement. I would have to double check. But that is what I run in my jeep and it works great. Can have every light on my rig on (10 not counting the LED's) and my system and my winch if i want and it doesn't even phase the battary :) Pm me your number and I can let you know when i am working so you can come down and I can give ya a deal.