Old Ward/Bountiful "B" wheeling 03/15/14

Floydargue

New guy
I will get some pics posted soon. If any of you guys have some you'd like to share, please put them here.

We met up as planned at about 10am, and headed up. No big news on the way up. Things started getting snowy as we went up. There were some tracks in the snow already, so things kept chugging along OK. While I was stopped waiting for people to bunch up a little, someone came walking down from ahead of us. He said he was up the trail a bit and was stuck. It was fortunate for him we were so close, as he was anticipating a long walk down to find some assistance. He was in a scout and was only about a foot off the tracks on the trail, but it had sunk down hard and was very stuck.

I was up front in our group and have a winch, so I thought it would be simple. Not so much, as when I pulled him back, we could not get his rear tires to come back to the tracks. It was just plowing into the deep stuff more. So we could not pull him back, he could not move forward at all, and there was by far not room to make a pass. Some of the guys did some shoveling to make paths for his tires, but it was not getting us far. We ended up strapping to a few trees in his 2 o'clock, and putting my winch cable on a pulley in front of him. I was amazed how hard it was having to pull to get him to move, but it was working. The tree was uphill from him, and when I let the winch tension off, I noticed it had been lifting that corner up a couple inches. Woohoo!

The guys dug more snow out of his way and filled in holes where they could, and we had him make several attempts to get some momentum going to gon onward, but it would repeatedly slip into the deep sides no matter what we did. So we went for option B - everyone back up to wherever we can flip around. There was a pretty good spot maybe 300 feet or so (maybe a little more?) behind the back vehicle so we all turned on the reverse lights and got it done without issue. After getting back out of the snow, the call was made to continue down, play at the main "bowl" for a few minutes and head out.

The wind was pretty chilly, but the sun was out, and it seemed everyone had a good time. There was some good puckering going on as well at that one turn that leans like heck toward the edge. :D

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I am always impressed with the friendly people that 4wheel. I headed out for a little dirt today in my Scout, first time I really had it off road more than a dirt road. It was supposed to be a quick trip, haha. I headed out up on top of the B, the weather was gorgeous

FB68A95C-E11C-4FF6-BABF-360A14E3529B.jpg

4BBAC9C4-80B7-4815-9776-609C891BC486.jpg

I was on Old Ward Canyon, there was a little snow at the bottom but it wasn't bad and what was there was really frozen so traction was pretty good. Well.... my sense of confidence definitely outpaced my abilities.

359AF477-0378-4562-95B8-FCC92245B44D.jpg

3C9768F2-16CB-43F0-87BA-FAFFB1E4B4A6.jpg

A50C5336-86F4-4D16-A3A8-EA0C15BC933A.jpg

After trying to free myself to no avail I started the hike back down, headed to get my truck and hi lift haha
B4D02109-1859-40DC-BE22-8C39DC88D9E1.jpg

Not very far down the trail I walked into a bunch of vehicles coming up, such a sense of relief! I said hello and said that I was a bit up the trail. Without any hesitation I was told that the group could give me a pull back out, awesome people!

After much pulling and winching, and the whole group helping push and shovel we had free'd the Scout
97FC1796-BFC3-4E91-9806-30ACBD975CB9.jpg

Again I can't thank everyone who helped enough!
13FF12ED-6DAC-4415-B8CB-823267042BBB.jpg

redhalfdoors

Unless you are the noob with the JK. :^) Oh wait that was me. I am glad someone got a shot while I was puckering. It was fun!

Troop92

Looks like an amazing time, a sunny day, wheeling, and a recovery! Consider my face sufficiently rubbed. Hoping to get out and run before baby comes....

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Looks like an amazing time, a sunny day, wheeling, and a recovery! Consider my face sufficiently rubbed. Hoping to get out and run before baby comes....

If I don't sell the Jeep soon I'll have to take it out one last time, maybe I'll run with you.

Tonkaman

I really enjoyed meeting the people that came out yesterday. The tacoma really did well and I think it was a great trail to help me understand my truck a little better
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992297.355250.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992309.720651.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992318.838115.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992329.254244.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992338.205562.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992347.737750.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992356.887664.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394992365.154710.jpg

rockwell

It was really great to meet you guys. Even though the trail was cut short, it was still a great day of wheeling. Hope to get out with everybody again soon!

Zerkalo

Just came back from old ward. Still pretty snowy.. didn't make it to the top, although we are pretty close probaly around the same point you guys turned around...sigh..