On Board Air w/ A/C Compressor

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
I ran the search and there isnt much about doing OBA on here. Ive got A/C on my 85 4runner with the 22re and would like to convert it to OBA. Can any of you guys get me going in the right direction with writeups, tips, pics, etc? thanks.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
kilby enterprises aka www.onboardair.com is a great place for all your needs.
Not sure what compressor you have but the most favored is the york compressor, and that didn't come with the 22re.

Some things you'll need: drier/seperator, check valve, seperator, pressure regulator, tank w/ drain valve, air filter ummm I think that's it...

tiny2085

HomeGrown
you can most likely convert your a/c compressor to OBA. It is a pretty straight forward conversion. You need to figure out which line is intake and which is exhaust on the compressor. then run a line from the exhaust through a check valve water seperator and into a tank. You can use an electronic regulator on the tank that is connected to your a/c pump and will tunr on and off when the psi rises and falls outside of the set limits, or you can simply wire a swith in your cab to turn on the pump when ever you want and air up a tank and shut it off when full.

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
is it detrimental to run just a direct air line? I know on Shane's(Herzog) buggy, he is just running a line out from the compressor. I just want to keep this project as simple and cheap as possible.

Also if i were to go with a tank, where can i get a cheap surplus one?

grinch

inner city redneck
You can run a direct line but an air tank sends more volume.... If you are just looking for an easy way to air up tires a direct line will work.... If you want to run airtools you will need an airtank.... Dryers are nice but if you wont spring for one make sure your tank has a drain valve...

Last edited:

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
So for a basic OBA, no tank right now, what parts and equipment will I need for the 22re and what do i need to do to modify the compressor?

tiny2085

HomeGrown
you should be able to unhook the lines form your a/c. becareful of the charged a/c lines as they are under high compression. Start your angine and find which is which. which sucks and whichs blows the air. Then shut off the truck ;) , mark the lines and get a fitting on the exhaust line to mate to an air hose. and make some type of filter/water sperator for the intake line. Note that doing jsut a direct line will only give you as much air as that little compressor pushes on every turn. I think down at auto zone they have tanks for about 15-20$. they are 5 gallon and are real handy to run a line into and then run a line out to air stuff up with. i'll post some pics of my compressor tomorrow.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'm using my stock 4 Runner's A/C for air, and have been for a few years now. Toyota used a rotary compressor, so you'll have to have an oil source to keep it from seizing. Also, the tank will be a must, to remove the oil and moisture. You'll need a pressure switch to disengage the clutch once the system is up to pressure also. You can use a PRV, and just dump the excess pressure, but pressure switches are pretty easy to come by, and save a lot of wear and tear on the compressor. If you want to look at mine, you're welcome to. Also, I have a tank here you can have if you want it.

JJJZJ said:
I ran the search and there isnt much about doing OBA on here. Ive got A/C on my 85 4runner with the 22re and would like to convert it to OBA. Can any of you guys get me going in the right direction with writeups, tips, pics, etc? thanks.

JJJZJ

Jager Abuser
BCGPER said:
I'm using my stock 4 Runner's A/C for air, and have been for a few years now. Toyota used a rotary compressor, so you'll have to have an oil source to keep it from seizing. Also, the tank will be a must, to remove the oil and moisture. You'll need a pressure switch to disengage the clutch once the system is up to pressure also. You can use a PRV, and just dump the excess pressure, but pressure switches are pretty easy to come by, and save a lot of wear and tear on the compressor. If you want to look at mine, you're welcome to. Also, I have a tank here you can have if you want it.

Sure, sounds good. Sent you a PM.

R

rockdog

BCGPER said:
I just did this on my toy truck. Worked out great. If your ever in utah county your welcome to look at mine. Definately use a tank. The little rotary toy compressors put out an amazing amount of air. Used an air tool oiler, water separater combo i got at harbor freight for around twenty bucks for the oil source and to take it out after going through the compressor.