On Board Shower

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll let you know what I think about the Zodi early next week. Doing a two nighter on The Swell this weekend and I'll use it every day just for the helluvit. Unless it really just sucks...

I found the same 12v pump/shower kit as the Helton online under at least four different brand names. Most of them are being sold in Australia and the UK only though (Primus, Aquafresh, Helton brands). Here in the US, the only brand name for it I've found is Reliance - but it's the same unit and available at all the usual suspects for such. Sold stand alone, it comes with both 12v clips (or cig adapter) and an 8 D cell battery pack.

Who knows, maybe I'll be satsified with the 6v pump and shower head included with the Zodi after all. Just have to try it and see.

Again, just looking at it, not having used it yet, I do think that the propane fired heat exchanger itself is going to be satisfactory. Just looking at the design, I can't imagine that it won't do a good job of instantly heating water. But, again, I need to just use it in the field and see how well it really works. Having used your Helton setup, I have something good to compare to at least.

- DAA

Keep us posted, I'd love to hear how it works for you. I'm jealous that you'll be exploring the Swell! Having a shower each day will be so nice, no doubt.

Kurt may be able to get you separate pieces like just the shower kit, but you'd have to talk to him about it.

Hey greg... take the 7 gal tank you bought and paint it black and mount it up on the top of your vehicle... then the sun will warm it up for you and when your ready to use it its there hot and ready!

I don't think that would have worked the first time I used it. Temps in the 40's, cloudy and windy, blowing the rain sideways. Solar heating water would have lead to a cold shower. I'll stick with the Helton heat exchanger. ;) The water was nice and HOT! It was a great way to warm up on a chilly day.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I do sell the 12V shower kits seperately, but because I'm paying a currency conversion and shipping from Aussie, they are waaaaay to expensive, in fact I only stock a couple loose ones just in case I have an issue with the unit in a kit.

DAA, if you wouldn't mind letting me know where you found the "Turbo Shower' with the 12V cig outlet I would really appreciate it. I've found the identical setup before, but with the battery pack which makes no sense for vehicle use. I'll likely order a handful of them to have here in the states as it will be cheaper than paying the tax, duties and shipping on the ones from Aussie. My last shipment from them was ~$300. Luckily the US dollar has stabilized a bit since.

DAA

Just a quick update on the Zodi shower kit. I used it twice this weekend. I had previously used Greg's Helton one time.

Using my one experience with the Helton as a base line, I'm going to rate the Zodi heat exchanger as good. Maybe not quite as good as the Helton, but very close. Close enough, I'd have to get more experience with both, to really say for sure. But, certainly, the Zodi heat exchanger is going to satisfy my needs.

The 6v pump that came with the Zodi, I'm going to rate as weak. It was "adequate" for the setup this weekend. But I can see where there will be times that it will cause frustration. Basically, what I found, was that I had to keep the water supply raised in relation to the shower head in order to keep an uninterupted flow to the shower head. And when the flow did get interupted, the water instantly became too hot. It actually started blowing steam at one point (after I'd already pointed it away for being too hot). Now, with the water supply high enough, this was a complete non issue, and the pump/shower head combo worked quite well, and is also quite stingy with the water (which I see as a good thing). But, I can easily foresee circumstances where it's going to be a major PITA to keep the water supply raised like that.

So... I just ordered a new 12v pump/shower kit, which I'm almost positive is exactly the same one as Greg has with his Helton. I ordered it from Target, $35 shipped. I'm highly confident it will work well for my needs.

The Zodi heat exchanger doesn't take up much space at all, either, for any wondering. It's about the size of a small propane bottle. But of course, you also have to pack a propane bottle to use it. All in all though, not too bad, as far as space considerations in the Jeep go. The supply water will take up a lot more space, for sure.

I'll be into the whole setup, with the Zodi plus additional 12v shower kit, $135.

The new shower kit should be here in time to use on my Nevada trip this coming weekend. I'll be in the Dodge this time, with the whole family and will take LOTS of water for them to use. Should have plenty of feedback on the Zodi w/upgraded shower kit a week from now.

- DAA

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just a quick update on the Zodi shower kit. I used it twice this weekend. I had previously used Greg's Helton one time.

Using my one experience with the Helton as a base line, I'm going to rate the Zodi heat exchanger as good. Maybe not quite as good as the Helton, but very close. Close enough, I'd have to get more experience with both, to really say for sure. But, certainly, the Zodi heat exchanger is going to satisfy my needs.

The 6v pump that came with the Zodi, I'm going to rate as weak. It was "adequate" for the setup this weekend. But I can see where there will be times that it will cause frustration. Basically, what I found, was that I had to keep the water supply raised in relation to the shower head in order to keep an uninterupted flow to the shower head. And when the flow did get interupted, the water instantly became too hot. It actually started blowing steam at one point (after I'd already pointed it away for being too hot). Now, with the water supply high enough, this was a complete non issue, and the pump/shower head combo worked quite well, and is also quite stingy with the water (which I see as a good thing). But, I can easily foresee circumstances where it's going to be a major PITA to keep the water supply raised like that.

So... I just ordered a new 12v pump/shower kit, which I'm almost positive is exactly the same one as Greg has with his Helton. I ordered it from Target, $35 shipped. I'm highly confident it will work well for my needs.

The Zodi heat exchanger doesn't take up much space at all, either, for any wondering. It's about the size of a small propane bottle. But of course, you also have to pack a propane bottle to use it. All in all though, not too bad, as far as space considerations in the Jeep go. The supply water will take up a lot more space, for sure.

I'll be into the whole setup, with the Zodi plus additional 12v shower kit, $135.

The new shower kit should be here in time to use on my Nevada trip this coming weekend. I'll be in the Dodge this time, with the whole family and will take LOTS of water for them to use. Should have plenty of feedback on the Zodi w/upgraded shower kit a week from now.

- DAA

Great review, I'm interested to hear more as you get the upgraded pump. My initial experience with the Zodi wasn't that great though it was good enough that I decided I wanted some kind of on board hot water, several months later and I had the Helton for testing. There are obviously pro's and cons to each design and finding the one to suits ones needs shouldn't be too hard given all the options on the market.

DAA

One last update on my experience with the Zodi heat exchanger, combined with the Reliance On Tap 12v shower kit.

Previously, I’d been very satisfied with the heat exchanger performance, but kind of underwhelmed by the 6v pump and the shower head included with the Zodi. So, I got the Reliance 12v shower kit to try with it. I took the family on a camping trip in the House Range this weekend and we were able to use the Zodi/Reliance setup quite a bit.

Turns out, and I was half expecting this, the heat exchanger is now kind of weak for the greater flow volume of the Reliance 12v pump. But… That really wasn’t a problem in actual practice. By simply recirculating the source water for a 2-3 minutes, it got plenty warm and the new 12v pump and shower head worked much better than the one included with the Zodi.

Bottom line: It looks like this setup is going to handle my multiple vehicle needs quite well. Not quite a five star rating, compared to the Helton, but not too far from it, either.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Awesome, sounds like you have found a good solution for multiple vehicles. If we get the chance to share the trail again one of these days, I'd like to see it in action.

I used my Helton on-board shower the weekend before last on the Kokopelli trail and I also re-circulated my water for several minutes with the car running, since the vehicle had cooled down previously. My supply water got quite warm and I showered with it running. I should have shut the engine off and it would have been plenty warm. It was on the borderline of being too much, but it still felt good.

I'm still showering without an enclosure, I do have one we bought at Sportsmans but it packs down to a huge box. I haven't cared to pack that thing along on any trips due to the sheer weight and size. On my last trip I heard some very good things about the porta-privy. It sets up easy, is quite wind-resistant, packs down to almost nothing and is very light-weight. I think I'm going to have to pick one up!

Here's it is, from Bass Pro Shops priced at $50.-

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._cat=RLP&cm_pla=58747&cm_ite=productname_link

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bump, I called about a million places until I could find the manufacture and get them to work with me on wholesale of the 12V pump/shower kits. I'm pleased to say that now I have them in stock and can even beat Target by a couple bucks. $32 for the complete 12V shower setup with the D-cell battery box (which could be very useful for other 12V accessories.

DAA, can I tap your experience with the Zodi/Reliance combo and pass your report onto some customers? Seems the two make a good setup.

Bart

Sweet, I'll be over to get one as soon as my next rig is finished. I have a heat exchanger and just needed the pump/shower kit. You are the man.