? on tires and rims

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I know that there are a lot of tire guys on here with a lot of knowledge.

Sooooo...

Can I get a way with putting 18" wide tires on a 10 rim?

For instance, if i had a 39.5/18 r 15 and I wanted to put it on a 15X10 Bead lock could i pull that off?

Let me know your thoughts...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Jinx said:
I know that there are a lot of tire guys on here with a lot of knowledge.

Sooooo...

Can I get a way with putting 18" wide tires on a 10 rim?

For instance, if i had a 39.5/18 r 15 and I wanted to put it on a 15X10 Bead lock could i pull that off?

Let me know your thoughts...

Holy crap man....what are you running an 18 inch wide tire for?? Mini Monster Trucks??

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What kinda tire is that? Never heard of that size. :confused: I was happy with my 38.5x14.5-15s on 8 inch rims, but man, 18 is wiiiiiiiiiide. :eek:

Caleb

basically its going to look like a balloon...I agree with bbowski, whats the need? unless you are muddin but even then I know most those guys like the pizza cutters to get to the bottom...

Caleb

Jinx said:
Come ON you have to love a 39" tire. :suka:

Until the iroks, it was what was available.

what about regular TSls? you can get those is 39.5, 42 and 44 (all narrower than boggers)...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Jinx said:

Please don't take this wrong....but what do you need 18 inch wide boggers for in UT? I have never seen a mudhole (of course i have never looked for one either) that would warrant 18 inch wide boggers....... :confused:

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
BBowski82 said:
To try and be helpful....i found this site. It looks like you will need a 12 inch wide rim....
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tsl-bogger/

Whatcha buildin?? one of those pavement pounding show trucks with the cool chrome shocks and steering components? I have wheeled some of the deepest mud between Montana to Utah and never encountered anything that requires tires that big. I've had it so deep I had to pull my fan belt to keep from kickin mud everywhere and use a piece of flexy exhaust to keep the motor from fillin through the pipes!!

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
The rule of thumb that I have heard before is to pick a rim that is 2" narrower than the tire width- i.e. 12.50's for a 10" rim.

However most people will run about 4" narrower than their tire- like 12.50 on an 8" rim. Having more tire width than rim will 'balloon' the tire like the other's have said, and will help to keep the bead on the rim in lower air pressure situtations. You would probably see uneven tread wear in the center sections because of the 'ballooning' of the tire also.

I don't know, 18" on a 10" rim sounds kind of iffy. I guess you can always try it and see how it works.... then let us know.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
BBowski82 said:
Please don't take this wrong....but what do you need 18 inch wide boggers for in UT? I have never seen a mudhole (of course i have never looked for one either) that would warrant 18 inch wide boggers....... :confused:

OK, I guess I had better clear somethings up... ;)

I have some 18x39.5 15 boggers that I have had for quite a while. They run great. My rig tends to be a little wide in some cases, but that is the way it goes.

I currently have them on 15x12 rims.

I have a chance to get a screamin deal on some trail ready beadlocks.

In the future when I wear these tires out/sell them i would like to go to an Irok or something similiar, with a narrower stance... easier to get on the trailer and on the trail.

Soooo

Instead of buying more 15x12s that would be too wide for future use... I was thinking about getting some 15x10s that would work better if i go to something like a 13x39.5 later on.

But if 18s won't mount on a 10" rim, I should pass on the deal...

Therefor ask the tire guys on RME. They tend to know their stuff, :D

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
The DIY beadlocks end up an inch or two wider after you're done...what's the deal with aftermarket ones? I assume they just replace the outer rim with the beadlock ring, so the width stays the same, but does anyone know for sure?