Onboard Air Q's

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've commited to going with onboard air, and need some ideas on where to start. Ideally I would like to be able to "set a bead" on a 35" (give or take) tire, and also run pneumatics (impact,die grinder etc...etc.....) for a desent amount of time. I am leaning towards a compressor under the hood with a tank in my bed, then putting quick couplers front and rear. I think that if I did it this way the only major expence would be the compressor.

I've also thought about a Power Tank (or something similar), but I'm not sure that's what I'm after.....I don't know (basically I just don't really want to refill it every so often)

What compressor would you recomend to fit my needs for a decent price? I've also seen ads for compressors that claim to not need an auxilary tanks for running basic air tools.....is that true???

Help, ideas, comments, insight......are all welcome ;) Thanks!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I looked into the York, and it's everything that I would ever need (kind of like a Unimog 1200).......except for the price (also like a Unimog 1200) :(

I like the AC compressor idea though I think I would be better off going that route. I even thought about ARB's high end compressor........I quess I can deal with setting beads the old school way by using a tiedown strap :sick: I will definatly have a tank in the bed though.

Thanks.... and keep the idea's coming :)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I looked into the York, and it's everything that I would ever need (kind of like a Unimog 1200).......except for the price (also like a Unimog 1200) :(

??????? Yorks came stock on a LOT of older vehicles with AC. Waggys, LOTS of Chryslers and Volvos. Some have higher CFM output than others. If you have time and about $50, I bet you could set up a York in your rig. (I'm not in any way a Toyota expert, so I could be off a little there, but it could be done.) I noticed 'Economy Auto' was now a housing project (not that they were worth much in this kind of application anyway) so I don't know of a junkyard up yonder nowadays, but some time spent at the junk could net you some useable stuff.

I like the AC compressor idea though I think I would be better off going that route. I even thought about ARB's high end compressor........I quess I can deal with setting beads the old school way by using a tiedown strap :sick: I will definatly have a tank in the bed though.

Thanks.... and keep the idea's coming :)

The ARB compressor I had in my XJ is a terrible excuse for an onboard air system. It was designed to run lockers. It'd pump up 4 35" tires from about 7-8 psi to about 15-18 psi in about 30 minutes, but took FOREVER to get above 15-16 PSI and really worked the unit hard. I'm not familiar with the 'high end' compressor, but that's gonna cost you more than a junkyard York system anyway.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
ARB's compressor is not the ideal solution for airing up tires and high volume air needs (tools, etc). In fact you will have a hard time seating a bead with the ARB.

YORK is the AC compressor, some companies (Kilby, Oasis, etc) have adapted these into kits and stand alone compressors... though its not too much trouble to rig up your own. There was a great artice in the U4WDA Compass sometime ago by Ian Parish, he did a good job covering the install, wiring, plumbing of a j-yard compressor setup.

CO2: I am a big fan thusfar... I now have 3 tanks... My 15lb filled up ~30 tires?? And could run an air tool just fine. Use them in the garage, on the trail, at camp, etc. Motor doesn't have to be running, etc. You can build a CO2 system for ~$100-$200.

RamIt

I did a j-yard on-board air on my RamCharger using an AC comp from an 83 AMC Eagle. The comp cost me $30. I threaded quick disconnects into the tubes on my grille guard to use as storage tanks. I've never used it to run tools, but it will reseat a 35" bead no problem. I would definitely want a larger tank for running tools. I just made a bracket and ran a longer fan belt to drive it and have a switch under the hood to turn it on/off. If you decide to take the j-yard AC comp route, just a little FYI: generally the round body compressors run the oil through the lines (like mine does) so you will want to put a filter right after the outlet so you dont pump all the oil into your tires. The square body comps are generally internally lubed (this is why Yorks are most popular) and do not cycle the oil through the lines. Either type will work, but you will just have to refill the oil after airing up. All in all, I spent about $60 for the comp, fittings, belt, and 50' hose. I can send some pics if you want.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I confused York with the high dollar Kilby/York setup I guess.........:sick:

I am going to go the York route though, and it's good to know that they are self contained (I was wondering about that).

I have a ton of room on the passinger side of my engine so mounting it won't be a problem. From there I will run it through a one way check valve/water seperator to the tank. Probably will use a pressure switch with an over-ride switch so as not to over pressurize the tank.

This is probably a dumb question.....but is there anyway to not use the tank, and run the pump on a toggle switch? could I do it with a pressure relief valve inline so as to not put any strain the pump or the air line, and just switch it on when needed? Or is the remote tank a better idea?

Thanks for the input you guy's rock!

P.S. To Notajeep, I'm in hopes of making it down there real soon..........Octoberish?

Key word "Hopes" :sick:

Brad J

is there anyway to not use the tank, and run the pump on a toggle switch? could I do it with a pressure relief valve inline so as to not put any strain the pump or the air line, and just switch it on when needed? Or is the remote tank a better idea?

I have not gotten around to mounting the tank on my scout yet so I have always just run it off of the compressor and what air is stored in the lines. Airing up tires works, running air tools must be done in bursts w/ waiting for pressure to build up again. A tank would help but its not necessary. I was at Smith and Edwards and noticed that they sell Pressure switches (~$35) that would turn the AC Compressor on and off when its full. Or if you have an old Air Compressor you can just rob the parts off of it. IH vehicles also used the York but the pulleys may not line up exactly. Make sure you get one w/ the model # ???r10 or ???l10 it means 10CFM so its the biggest one available.

thumperdee

I mounted the York setup on my Bronco and it worked sweet. Have two inline tanks, pressure on/off, 4 quick disconnects and I can run air tools. P/M me and I will send you the 411 on how to.